This month with your Nikon 1 - February 2020

Started Feb 1, 2020 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 456
This month with your Nikon 1 - February 2020

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2020: Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,358
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - February 2020

Kuala Lumpur urban planners did a great job developing a liveable city with the development of this public children's water park right in the heart of the central business district.

KLCC water park at the foot of the Petronas Towers in downtown Kuala Lumpur

Menara tower as the city's landmark has been superseded by the Petronas Towers

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,098
Blue Moon

not been doing much photography, but can't resist the moon during the day

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,822
Re: Blue Moon

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

That 300/4.0D seems to work very well for you, Wu!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,098
Re: Blue Moon

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

That 300/4.0D seems to work very well for you, Wu!

it's a good lens, bought it in Thailand

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290

Sangster wrote:

Kuala Lumpur urban planners did a great job developing a liveable city with the development of this public children's water park right in the heart of the central business district.

KLCC water park at the foot of the Petronas Towers in downtown Kuala Lumpur

Menara tower as the city's landmark has been superseded by the Petronas Towers

interesting to see these shots of KL - many years since we were there but I seem to remember even then that it was a very pleasant city for its size.

What a good job you, your V1 and the 10-30 does with these photos.

cheers

richard

iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54

Practicing with the J5 + 70-300CX combo.

iserp wrote:

Wow - really really striking

Did you do it just using the lcd screen? - or used a loupe ?

richard

iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54

rich_cx139 wrote:

richard

I am using a red dot sight with a 3D printed adapter.

I took the idea from this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62023424

Johannes Zander posted his blueprints in thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3291776

It is easy to follow moving subjects with this. It adds some bulk, and you have to hold the camera a bit far from you, which is not ideal for stability and makes framing a bit difficult. But so far, i am enjoying it a lot,

iserp wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

richard

I am using a red dot sight with a 3D printed adapter.

I took the idea from this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62023424

Johannes Zander posted his blueprints in thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3291776

It is easy to follow moving subjects with this. It adds some bulk, and you have to hold the camera a bit far from you, which is not ideal for stability and makes framing a bit difficult. But so far, i am enjoying it a lot,

thanks for the explanation:

That is neat.  I think Stefan has a similar solution.

I kept back an oly ee-1 sight from sale because i was thinking of putting it on a "U" bracket attached to the body -  just something  else I didn't get round to.

My reason for a body attached bracket was to use other lenses like a 300pf or an afp dx 70-300 as well as the cx.

richard

Tord S Eriksson

iserp wrote:

Nice shot! Not that easy one, either!

-- hide signature --

Tord S Eriksson
Would an FX have eased the job?!

A Greater Coucal is a big noisy bird found in SE Asia, belonging to the vast cuckoo group, but unusually, it does not lay their eggs in other birds' nests.

Pretty difficult to get close by, but last night, soon before sunset, one landed in the garden, and was eating the cat's food, when I happened to spot it. Naturally, we tried a few shots, the choice being a dusty window or a window screen. I tried, with little success.

Frustrated, I sneaked up on the roof patio and got a couple of shots from above, before it spotted me and flew off, trailed by a gang of mobbing Common Mynas.

My wife tried as well, with her GX8, using the PL 100-400 (her copy is as sharp as the 70-300 CX, impressive). I used my J5 with its Sigma 100-400 C lens, as usual.

These big red-eyed birds are jet black with chocolate-brown wings (top and bottom), and it was sitting beside a white-ish wall, in deep shadow. A lot more dynamic range would have been helpful, or some HDR, but alas, that is not what a J5 can do! The GX8 handled it a bit better, I have to confess, but not much!

The following images are the best we managed to shoot, and I did my utmost to make the images to look normal during post-processing, but to me, they look, at best, like renderings by Brügel.

Shot through an extremely dusty window, being painted by the setting sun's last rays - ruined everything! I upped the contrast to the limit but it didn't get better than this, sigh.

Somewhat useable, from the roof, but shooting against the settling sun is never easy.

After much toil, sweat, and tears, this came out almost useable.

My wife's shots were all shot through the dusty, sunlit window. The J5 didn't like the dusty window it at all, while her GX8 handled it much better, if not with ease.

The end result, after PP-ing my wife's shots, became very Brügel, totally unintentional!

These were the best ones of hers:

I just love these birds, and this shot, where the color-balance is exactly as shot, is one of the better. These birds have fiery red eyes, not really visible here.

Suddenly, it listened intently (probably heard me opening the upstairs door to the patio).

This was my through-the-window shot (below), without PP. Horrible. Didn't help much that the camera was at +1.7 EV since last night's moon shots!

The 'mist' in my down-stairs shot is just an effect of the sun shining on the dust on the window (this is the dry season here) upsetting the exposure-metering totally. Had the exposure not been set to -1.7 EV (accidentally) the exposure would probably have been even worse!

Here is one of my wife's without PP:

The GX8's exposure metering is not quite as sensitive to the sun-lit dust on the window. Both cameras managed to find the focus without any hesitation.

I did all the post-processing, nobody else to blame! Took me in all about an hour!!!!

-- hide signature --

The sun came out ( for half an hour )

some snaps of a village green passing through to do some shopping. SOOC as usual

My V1 and the 10mm stays in my car the whole time now.

WizArt Forum Member • Posts: 57

As my trusted tool for traveling light (the like of bike or hiking tours), there's another episode from a trip to an amazing European winter destination for that kind of activity: Mallorca! A destination with a somewhat conflicting reputation. During summertime well known as an hot spot for party-tourism. But in wintertime and especially in the back country a really beautiful Mediterranean island! 
Be warned, pictures are partially heavily processed due to very demanding high contrast situations... they are processed to personal taste... anyway CC is always welcomed! 

PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 374
Obligatory pet photo in B&W

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +18 more
Tord S Eriksson
Re: Obligatory pet photo in B&W

PTMcH wrote:

Lovely shot! Have no pets, traveling too much, but there are some friendly birds in my back yard, till end of the week, as that is when we change abode to another continent.

He comes every day, but not quite a pet more like a musical companion, whistling in duo with me!

We have a couple of mammals in the garden as well:

This is about as close you can get to our feral cat (get closer and you'll get hissed at), that sleeps most nights in our garden somewhere. Soon to be a mother, the kittens having been conceived in our garden a few weeks back.

Same photo in B&W:

-- hide signature --

WizArt wrote:

As my trusted tool for traveling light (the like of bike or hiking tours), there's another episode from a trip to an amazing European winter destination for that kind of activity: Mallorca! A destination with a somewhat conflicting reputation. During summertime well known as an hot spot for party-tourism. But in wintertime and especially in the back country a really beautiful Mediterranean island!
Be warned, pictures are partially heavily processed due to very demanding high contrast situations... they are processed to personal taste... anyway CC is always welcomed!

lovely set of photos - especially the ones with dramatic skies.

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Just some more cat photos

One subject I always have in abundance is cats. Here are two shots of our cat Trixie plus two more of a random cat at a local plant nursery.

Trixie, V1, 10-30 PD

Trixie, V1, 10-30 PD

Random cat, V2, 10-100 non PD

Random cat, V3, 32/1.2

A few more local snaps with V1 and 10mm

Mostly SOOC except for some part perspective correction. no nr

PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 374
Re: Obligatory pet photo in B&W

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

PTMcH wrote:

Lovely shot! Have no pets, traveling too much, but there are some friendly birds in my back yard, till end of the week, as that is when we change abode to another continent.

He comes every day, but not quite a pet more like a musical companion, whistling in duo with me!

We have a couple of mammals in the garden as well:

This is about as close you can get to our feral cat (get closer and you'll get hissed at), that sleeps most nights in our garden somewhere. Soon to be a mother, the kittens having been conceived in our garden a few weeks back.

Same photo in B&W:

Thanks, Tord! Admiring you bird photo as always!

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads