70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode
3

Just for fun, decided to take a few comparison shots with these lenses mounted on my A9.  Hand held, SOC, shot just seconds apart on my patio.  In lightroom comparison mode I could only find a slight advantage for the Gmaster.  From my perspective the 70-350 should be an ideal moderate telephoto for many.

 paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
icon1 Contributing Member • Posts: 714
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode
2

paul wassermann wrote:

Just for fun, decided to take a few comparison shots with these lenses mounted on my A9. Hand held, SOC, shot just seconds apart on my patio. In lightroom comparison mode I could only find a slight advantage for the Gmaster. From my perspective the 70-350 should be an ideal moderate telephoto for many.

Thanks for making the effort to do this, but I am finding it hard to make a comparison between the images when they are displayed this way.  It would be easier if you could do some side by side crops with the two lens images next to each other.

 icon1's gear list:icon1's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
OP paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

icon1 wrote:

paul wassermann wrote:

Just for fun, decided to take a few comparison shots with these lenses mounted on my A9. Hand held, SOC, shot just seconds apart on my patio. In lightroom comparison mode I could only find a slight advantage for the Gmaster. From my perspective the 70-350 should be an ideal moderate telephoto for many.

Thanks for making the effort to do this, but I am finding it hard to make a comparison between the images when they are displayed this way. It would be easier if you could do some side by side crops with the two lens images next to each other.

I just don't have the computer skills to pull that off!  I was hoping those who wanted side by side would download the images and then import them into lightroom where a simple "c" command will allow two side by side images in full screen view.

 paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Super_T Regular Member • Posts: 370
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

icon1 wrote:

paul wassermann wrote:

Just for fun, decided to take a few comparison shots with these lenses mounted on my A9. Hand held, SOC, shot just seconds apart on my patio. In lightroom comparison mode I could only find a slight advantage for the Gmaster. From my perspective the 70-350 should be an ideal moderate telephoto for many.

Thanks for making the effort to do this, but I am finding it hard to make a comparison between the images when they are displayed this way. It would be easier if you could do some side by side crops with the two lens images next to each other.

Open in two browser Windows. That'll do the trick.   (Or save the Pictures to local disk).

 Super_T's gear list:Super_T's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 21mm F1.4 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.8 ED UMC CS +7 more
Dultimate Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

Thanks for taking the effort. Looks like the 70-350 is more than adequate for most. If it wasn't for the complaints about not being in focus at the long end for some I would be very interested in this lens.

 Dultimate's gear list:Dultimate's gear list
Sony a7R III Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE
OP paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

Dultimate wrote:

Thanks for taking the effort. Looks like the 70-350 is more than adequate for most. If it wasn't for the complaints about not being in focus at the long end for some I would be very interested in this lens.

I found it the near equal of the 70-200 and since I have the 100-400, the 70-200 is now offered on Arizona Craig's List.

 paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

Dultimate wrote:

Thanks for taking the effort. Looks like the 70-350 is more than adequate for most. If it wasn't for the complaints about not being in focus at the long end for some I would be very interested in this lens.

It looks better than 100-400!

OP paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: 70-350 vs 100-400 Sony A9 Comparison Shots APSC mode

Advent1sam wrote:

Dultimate wrote:

Thanks for taking the effort. Looks like the 70-350 is more than adequate for most. If it wasn't for the complaints about not being in focus at the long end for some I would be very interested in this lens.

It looks better than 100-400!

I'm surprised more people aren't trying APS-C lenses on full frame cameras.  For many applications you don't need all the resolution of the full frame sensor.

I just snapped our backyard grill at f 1.4 and at f8.0   with focus on the word "LYNX".

(using my A9).  Straight out of camera JPEG.  Makes a nice 24 mm lens!

 paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads