5D.M4 with Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S

Started 3 months ago | Questions
ikolbyi Regular Member • Posts: 406
5D.M4 with Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S

Recently purchased Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S for my 5D.M4.  The Sigma lens is running latest 2.01 release.

I noticed all of my pictures are front-focusing using a single focusing point.  The focus point is on the subject face or torso yet the lens focuses in front of the subject slightly.  I emailed Sigma and they asked me to send the camera with the lens to them for calibration.  I'm not really open to sending that much equipment in blindly by US mail.

Through the USB dock I configured one of the C1 settings  but made no changes to any of the focus distances.  I retried the lens and the miss focusing significantly improved.

My question is if you have this setup, did you have to customize your focus settings and if so, what settings did you use?

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
richardperson
richardperson Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: 5D.M4 with Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S

ikolbyi wrote:

Recently purchased Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S for my 5D.M4. The Sigma lens is running latest 2.01 release.

I noticed all of my pictures are front-focusing using a single focusing point. The focus point is on the subject face or torso yet the lens focuses in front of the subject slightly. I emailed Sigma and they asked me to send the camera with the lens to them for calibration. I'm not really open to sending that much equipment in blindly by US mail.

Through the USB dock I configured one of the C1 settings but made no changes to any of the focus distances. I retried the lens and the miss focusing significantly improved.

My question is if you have this setup, did you have to customize your focus settings and if so, what settings did you use?

I can't answer your specific questions, but this is why I am not a fan of Sigma lenses.  Seems like it is a mandatory part of the buying process to get the dock and calibrate the lens.  I bought a wide angle fast zoom a few years ago and the focus was so far off I just returned it.  I don't understand why Sigma lenses are so far off when Canon lenses don't have this problem.  I think Sigma makes nice glass, but . . .

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +11 more
ilumo Regular Member • Posts: 176

ikolbyi wrote:

Recently purchased Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S for my 5D.M4. The Sigma lens is running latest 2.01 release.

I noticed all of my pictures are front-focusing using a single focusing point. The focus point is on the subject face or torso yet the lens focuses in front of the subject slightly. I emailed Sigma and they asked me to send the camera with the lens to them for calibration. I'm not really open to sending that much equipment in blindly by US mail.

Through the USB dock I configured one of the C1 settings but made no changes to any of the focus distances. I retried the lens and the miss focusing significantly improved.

have you tried using live view focusing to narrow down if its something due to the lens, or PDAF or some combo?

ilumo's gear list:ilumo's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
OP ikolbyi Regular Member • Posts: 406

I see the issue *more* when shooting sports over stills.  When shooting stills, front-focusing occurs significantly less.  Example: 1 out of 5 shots will be front focused, compared to sports shooting which will be 4 out of 5 shots will be front focused.

Using live view mode is not really practical for sports - I have not tried it.

Since connecting the lens to the Sigma dock and setting a C1 setting (but NOT changing any of the focus settings) it seems to have fewer misses when shooting sports, 3 out of 5 shots are front focused.  Still not acceptable but better.

I'm just trying to resolve this outside of mailing in my gear to Sigma incurring those shipping costs and being with both my camera body and lens during that time.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art

ikolbyi wrote:

I see the issue *more* when shooting sports over stills. When shooting stills, front-focusing occurs significantly less. Example: 1 out of 5 shots will be front focused, compared to sports shooting which will be 4 out of 5 shots will be front focused.

Since connecting the lens to the Sigma dock and setting a C1 setting (but NOT changing any of the focus settings) it seems to have fewer misses when shooting sports, 3 out of 5 shots are front focused. Still not acceptable but better.

I'm just trying to resolve this outside of mailing in my gear to Sigma incurring those shipping costs and being with both my camera body and lens during that time.

Adding some more info:

* I own the Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art, and have zero issues with this lens and it works flawlessly out of the box.

* The Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 Sports out of the box had focusing issues.  I connected it to the dock and the firmware was already at latest at current release of 2.01.  No change.  I set a C1 setting and the lens performance is slightly better even at the lens default mode - but no where near the performance of the Sigma 105mm running firmware 1.0

ffabrici Contributing Member • Posts: 986

Have you done the in-camera micro focus adjustment for the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 ?

ffabrici wrote:

Have you done the in-camera micro focus adjustment for the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 ?

Within the Canon body?  I didn't know that was possible, thought it had to be done through the lens.  My other lens operate just fine, if I perform through body wouldn't it make the adjustments system wide? (Through all the lenses?)

cjb Regular Member • Posts: 358
User manual pp 152-157

User manual pp 152-157.

Microadjusments can be done on a per lens basis according to the manual. I am not sure if this works for Sigma lenses.

cjb's gear list:cjb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R +25 more
TrackDayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: User manual pp 152-157

cjb wrote:

User manual pp 152-157.

Microadjusments can be done on a per lens basis according to the manual. I am not sure if this works for Sigma lenses.

Yes, it will work with sigma lenses.  It also gives you the ability to adjust the wide end and tele end differently.

TrackDayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 100

ikolbyi wrote:

I see the issue *more* when shooting sports over stills. When shooting stills, front-focusing occurs significantly less. Example: 1 out of 5 shots will be front focused, compared to sports shooting which will be 4 out of 5 shots will be front focused.

Since connecting the lens to the Sigma dock and setting a C1 setting (but NOT changing any of the focus settings) it seems to have fewer misses when shooting sports, 3 out of 5 shots are front focused. Still not acceptable but better.

what are you AF release priority settings for both Servo and one shot?  These can be adjusted in the AF menu and effect how accurately focused the camera will be before releasing the shutter.

I drove the 2.5 hour drive out to Sigma in Long Island to have the lens calibrated. It was in fact off by a significant margin and now configured for my camera body.

It was a positive customer service experience with Sigma.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads