Different approach to universal lens

Started Jan 27, 2020 | User reviews
Petr_79
Petr_79 New Member • Posts: 7
Different approach to universal lens

I wasn't interested in such a lens in the past, probably because there weren't many of them. Now I have this lens from Tamron for half a year and sometimes its a tough decision what lenses will be mounted on my D750, this one or Tamron 24-70/2.8 G2. The G2 is much better build, but I find that for casual use the 35-150 is much more flexible. For casual portraits and when I don't want to carry much weight, it's a excellent combination of features, performance and price.

If I go to shoot an event, I usually pick 24-70 and 70-200/2.8, if I'm into serious portrait, the 85/1.8 or 105/2 will do a perfect job. But other than that, 35-150 is the lens to be mounted and ready on my camera. It's not small or light, but being the only lens I'm carrying, it very doable (maybe accompanied by small 20mm or 24mm prime to cover wide scenes). There are also more universal lenses like 24-200 or more, but that's to much compromise for me. Some people complain the focus ring is being rotating during focus, but that's no problem for me, as I usually hold the zoom ring.

Thanks Tamron for making this lens, it has everything that's really important and some other features are omitted for sake of good price. It would be nice if it has internal zoom, silent motor, non rotating focus ring, constant aperture ... but then it will cost a double and I wouldn't probably be enjoying it at all.

Petr_79's gear list:Petr_79's gear list
Canon G7 X III Nikon D750 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 Di VC OSD
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX) • A043
Announced: Feb 20, 2019
Petr_79's score
Average community score
Nikon D750 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,422
Re: Different approach to universal lens

A lot of people like that lens, and evidently you, too!

My wife shoots µ43 and loves her 35-100 (equal to 70-200 on your D750), also a small fairly light lens, and still fast.

I have been looking at that Tamron, for my own use, but I mostly use DX and CX, and I am not sure it is compatible with Nikon1 (and the FT1 adapter). I do own a Nikon FX, but it gets little use.

Sigh!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Petr_79 wrote:

I wasn't interested in such a lens in the past, probably because there weren't many of them. Now I have this lens from Tamron for half a year and sometimes its a tough decision what lenses will be mounted on my D750, this one or Tamron 24-70/2.8 G2. The G2 is much better build, but I find that for casual use the 35-150 is much more flexible. For casual portraits and when I don't want to carry much weight, it's a excellent combination of features, performance and price.

If I go to shoot an event, I usually pick 24-70 and 70-200/2.8, if I'm into serious portrait, the 85/1.8 or 105/2 will do a perfect job. But other than that, 35-150 is the lens to be mounted and ready on my camera. It's not small or light, but being the only lens I'm carrying, it very doable (maybe accompanied by small 20mm or 24mm prime to cover wide scenes). There are also more universal lenses like 24-200 or more, but that's to much compromise for me. Some people complain the focus ring is being rotating during focus, but that's no problem for me, as I usually hold the zoom ring.

Thanks Tamron for making this lens, it has everything that's really important and some other features are omitted for sake of good price. It would be nice if it has internal zoom, silent motor, non rotating focus ring, constant aperture ... but then it will cost a double and I wouldn't probably be enjoying it at all.

I have this lens for my Nikon D850 and it barely comes off the body.

I used to think I needed a 24-***.......But I dont, this Tamron 35-150mm made me change how wide I thought I needed to shoot.

The only lenses I do replace it with at times are Sigma 24-35 f2 - When I actually do watn to shoot a little wider, and my Sigma 85mm 1.4 ART when I dont need something wide ot long......

The 35-150 coveres so many options, and for me its weight is just right, great for daily use and brilliant for travel...

Tamron 35-150mm

Wide enough for me.....

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

My wife shoots µ43 and loves her 35-100 (equal to 70-200 on your D750), also a small fairly light lens, and still fast.

I have been looking at that Tamron, for my own use, but I mostly use DX and CX, and I am not sure it is compatible with Nikon1 (and the FT1 adapter). I do own a Nikon FX, but it gets little use.

Sigh!

I am wondering how much of the focus breathing this lens has. So far ALL Tamron lenses have it.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

Tord S Eriksson

Timotis77 wrote:

Petr_79 wrote:

I used to think I needed a 24-***.......But I dont, this Tamron 35-150mm made me change how wide I thought I needed to shoot.

The only lenses I do replace it with at times are Sigma 24-35 f2 - When I actually do watn to shoot a little wider, and my Sigma 85mm 1.4 ART when I dont need something wide ot long......

The 35-150 coveres so many options, and for me its weight is just right, great for daily use and brilliant for travel...

Tamron 35-150mm

Wide enough for me.....

Those two images are stunningly good, with such superb attention to detail, and lighting!

-- hide signature --

Tord S Eriksson

SushiEater wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Sigh!

I am wondering how much of the focus breathing this lens has. So far ALL Tamron lenses have it.

By chance I happen to test my Sigma 100-400 C yesterday, and as far as I could figure it had nil (the background didn't change in size at all as I focused back and forth, at various focal lengths). It does not quite keep focus as you zoom, but nearly so. Good enough for me, as I shoot stills.

The PL 100-400 is just as good when focusing, and keeps focus as you zoom!

Old zooms were terrible, had one from the '60s, total crap!

-- hide signature --

Timotis77

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

Petr_79 wrote:

Tamron 35-150mm

Wide enough for me.....

Those two images are stunningly good, with such superb attention to detail, and lighting!

Thank you Tord,

Was lucky enough for the one free day I had while in Tokyo, we headed to Mt Fuji and it was clear. I've been to Japan a number of times, and NEVER been able to see Fuji.

The other is my daughter looking out of the Hakone cable car towards Fuji. Again a lucky shot, with light playing its part just at the right time....

Brilliant lens, and mine doesnt seem to focus breathe.....

Maybe ever so slightly at 35mm on the dot...... but unconfirmed

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Sigh!

By chance I happen to test my Sigma 100-400 C yesterday, and as far as I could figure it had nil (the background didn't change in size at all as I focused back and forth, at various focal lengths). It does not quite keep focus as you zoom, but nearly so. Good enough for me, as I shoot stills.

All lenses focus breath even those that people think don't according to the formula. I am one those of those who needs maximum FL. Nikon 24-120mm doesn't always cut it so I was thinking Tamron 35-150mm. Well, next month I will know for sure. I make sure I test them both on the same target.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.

Timotis77

SushiEater wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Sigh!

All lenses focus breath even those that people think don't according to the formula. I am one those of those who needs maximum FL. Nikon 24-120mm doesn't always cut it so I was thinking Tamron 35-150mm. Well, next month I will know for sure. I make sure I test them both on the same target.

I dont see any focus breathing on my 35-150mm, not enought to say its an issue or that it happnes to the point that its an issue. I cant see through the view finder, so for me, i dont think about it

I dont do test on this sort of thing with my lenses I own, whether its a knowing problem or not. I stick them on a camera body and shoot .............................

To me its this is 'worring about the small things'..... Things that mean nothing (to me), I'm thankful I can affort to buy these  lens, whenever I want..... Its shoots photo's at an exceptiable standard..... All i need

Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,860

Thanks for the review, Petr.  I've been curious about this lens, too.  Most of my shooting is within this range, and there are times I don't want to carry either of the big f2.8 lenses (24-70 and 70-200).  I'm also not afraid to shoot in a camera's crop mode (1.3X on the D7100, DX on the D800, 2X on the D2Xs, or 2.7X for Nikon 1 cameras).  That adds a whole lot of flexibility (with only a bit of wide-angle sacrifice, and I can easily carry a smaller WA prime if the need arises.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
tdbmd Regular Member • Posts: 225

I am interested in this lens.  I have the Tamron G2 70-200 f2.8 and have been very happy with it.  I photograph a lot of cross country running and 35-150mm would be a excellent range for that sport.  I wonder how is the AF speed?  The G2 70-200 is great in that regard but didn't know if the 35-150 would be fast enough for sports?

tdbmd's gear list:tdbmd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +5 more
bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 430

It's on the slower side

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +15 more
Timotis77

tdbmd wrote:

I am interested in this lens. I have the Tamron G2 70-200 f2.8 and have been very happy with it. I photograph a lot of cross country running and 35-150mm would be a excellent range for that sport. I wonder how is the AF speed? The G2 70-200 is great in that regard but didn't know if the 35-150 would be fast enough for sports?

Its slower, and this is to be expected. As its f/2.8 is down to f/3 by about 39mm and the longer you go in the focal lenght the 'slower' it gets.

But, I still think it can handle some sports, nothing crazy fast. Also pendind what body you use it on, just turn up the ISO to a higher level (if indoors and light poor)

A plus side is its light and handling for sports is almost ideal in my book....

I was referring to the AF speed, not the aperture.  Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +5 more
Timotis77

tdbmd wrote:

I was referring to the AF speed, not the aperture. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Yes sorry, my fault you did say this.....

I find AF speed not an issue, in fact less of an issues that Aperture....

Then again, I've never shot extremely fast moving objects, other than my dog and 2 year old daughter.. I still think it would handle it ok AF wise...

Timotis77 wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

I was referring to the AF speed, not the aperture. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Then again, I've never shot extremely fast moving objects, other than my dog and 2 year old daughter.. I still think it would handle it ok AF wise...

I was thinking mostly of cross country racing.  And that speed is not as much as say, spring track and field.  The 35-150 would be about perfect zoom range for cross country as you can get closer to the athletes than in some other outdoor sports.

Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 935

tdbmd wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

I was thinking mostly of cross country racing. And that speed is not as much as say, spring track and field. The 35-150 would be about perfect zoom range for cross country as you can get closer to the athletes than in some other outdoor sports.

I reckon this lens would be a very good focal length range for junior sports like soccer (where you can get quite close) but I've also wondered if the AF would be quick / accurate enough.

It would also imo be a good range for some indoor sports (I shoot floorball on DX with a Sigma 17-50 f2.8, often a bit short) but pretty sure the f stop and AF just won't be fast enough.

Peter in Canberra wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

I was thinking mostly of cross country racing. And that speed is not as much as say, spring track and field. The 35-150 would be about perfect zoom range for cross country as you can get closer to the athletes than in some other outdoor sports.

I reckon this lens would be a very good focal length range for junior sports like soccer (where you can get quite close) but I've also wondered if the AF would be quick / accurate enough.

It would also imo be a good range for some indoor sports (I shoot floorball on DX with a Sigma 17-50 f2.8, often a bit short) but pretty sure the f stop and AF just won't be fast enough.

I have used the Canon 18-135 NanoUSM for cross country in the past with good results but don't really need that wide and a bit more reach would be nice

Tord S Eriksson

Peter in Canberra wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

I use my AF-P 18-55 VR on my Nikon 1 cameras, which equals an 35-150 (more exactly 48.6-148.5) on an FX.

-- hide signature --

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Peter in Canberra wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

tdbmd wrote:

I use my AF-P 18-55 VR on my Nikon 1 cameras, which equals an 35-150 (more exactly 48.6-148.5) on an FX.

35mm and 50mm are not the same. I can get away with 35mm on the short end but 50mm would be too long.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads