Why are the colors in my image different in Lightroom and the exported photo?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
kkoo New Member • Posts: 21
Why are the colors in my image different in Lightroom and the exported photo?

I don't understand why the colors are different in the Lightroom preview and the exported photo. I googled this and read that Windows photo viewer isn't color managed and tried IrfanView which has a setting for color management. No difference at all. And I haven't enabled any profile in Lightroom either, I have calibrated my monitor but shouldn't that be a global color change on everything?

I also read that Lightroom Library and Develop modules have different color profiles, Library uses ARGB and Develop uses ProPhoto RGB. However, the colors are exactly the same when I switch between them. They seem to be a little greener than in the final product, like you can see below. I have also tried using the soft proofing feature which has a sRGB profile.. again, no difference.

I just want to edit the photos using the same colors as the output JPG, why is this so difficult to achieve?

kkoo's gear list:kkoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 14,744
Re: Why are the colors in my image different in Lightroom and the exported photo?

When you export a JPEG, do you save it with a color profile embedded? If so, what profile?

What profile do you have installed in the computer's operating system?

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,443
Re: Why are the colors in my image different in Lightroom and the exported photo?

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

When you export a JPEG, do you save it with a color profile embedded? If so, what profile?

That is, when you go to Control Panel -> Colour management, there should be a profile shown with "(default)" after the name.

By the way, you say you see no difference between Develop module (which uses ProPhoto colour space) and Library (Adobe RGB).  You shouldn't see any difference except for uber-saturated colours that are outsite Adobe RGB colour space, and then only if you have a wide-gamut monitor whose gamut extends beyond Adobe RGB.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
OP kkoo New Member • Posts: 21

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

File Settings in the export menu has sRGB selected. 
The default profile on my main monitor is the one I've made with Spyder 5 and DisplayCal. It's a XYZLUT+MTX profile if that makes any difference.

kkoo's gear list:kkoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,370

kkoo wrote:

I don't understand why the colors are different in the Lightroom preview and the exported photo. I googled this and read that Windows photo viewer isn't color managed and tried IrfanView which has a setting for color management. No difference at all. And I haven't enabled any profile in Lightroom either, I have calibrated my monitor but shouldn't that be a global color change on everything?

While Windows Photos (the app you show in your screenshot) doesn't respect your monitor profile no matter what you do, Windows Photo Viewer should be able to use it (but it doesn't like LUT+matrix profiles so you'd have to make a 1-curve matrix profile). For IrfanView colour management to work, you should install the plug-in pack. I don't remember if IrfanView accepts LUT+mtx monitor profiles, but I remember that FastStone Image Viewer also has problems with them.

Personally I use XnViewMP, which doesn't have any problems with LUT/mtx profiles and it shows my images like other colour-managed programs (Lr, dt, RT, Affinity, etc.).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads