Do you maintain a different system for different photography needs?

Started Jan 25, 2020 | Discussions
mpix345 Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: Why you need different "system"?

My life got easier from a photography standpoint when I accepted that multiple systems were better for me than trying to make "one size fit all".

For example, I'm shooting a minimalist FF set-up for indoor sports. but no way I want that rig for situations where I don't need those capabilities.

mpix345's gear list:mpix345's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +1 more
RaymondR
RaymondR Senior Member • Posts: 2,489
Re: Do you maintain a different system for different photography needs?

Currently in two systems:  m4/3 (G9) for when I need telephoto reach (Panny 35-100 2.8 or Panny 100-300) or am doing macro (Oly 60mm).  Otherwise, general photograph from wide angle out to about 100mm in full frame sense, Sony A7ii with Sony 24-105 or shooting in museums/churches, the Sony with a Samyang 45 1.8 or a Rokinon 20mm 1.8 for astrophotgraphy and wide angle landscape.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Fogel70
Fogel70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,325

I use two systems as I have not found one system that can handle all my needs in a good way. And if I would try to combine all my needs in one system, it would probably cost more.

Pentax APS-C DSLR system is my main system as I still prefer OVF, and no other DSLR manufacturer can match my preferences of compact high quality cameras and lenses.

Sony E-mount as my secondary system. Sony A7, mostly for adapted vintage lenses. Sony Nex 7 with a pancake lens as my daily P&S camera.

Fogel70's gear list:Fogel70's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 Pentax K-3 II +19 more
kierenlon
kierenlon Contributing Member • Posts: 861

I bought into Fuji last year for decent primes and 99% of my shooting which is family, friends, documentary amateur style and some event.
I have kept my Nikon D7000 and 80-200 F2.8 for atheltics, particularly running.    I would prefer to have also kept my wide angle Tokina 11-16 for events with flash because flash is so much better on Nikon.   For work,  the ergonomics on the D7000 are so much better for me, I can change everything quickly by feel.
However,  I enjoy the slower dials on the fuji and I like not being fast and being (somewhat) constrained to shutter speeds on the dial- eg,  60s / 125s  and nothing in between.  Overall very happy with the fuji.    Might try to try the 80-200 on it in manual focus

kierenlon's gear list:kierenlon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +4 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,303
Yes

Malsam wrote:

Not sure does others feel the same, but if you shoot different genure of photography and have been enjoying and demanding about it, its practically not that possible to stick to 1 system.

Practically for me means size + weight.

While I enjoy my Sony FF system, the heavy/large long lenses necessary for photographing wildlife are not manageable for me.

I use a M4/3 system for that.

Camera + 100-400mm Lens (=200-800mm in FF specs) - combined weight a bit over 3 lbs. DUAL IS system.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
mferencz Contributing Member • Posts: 839
Re: Yes

I had the same setup with M43 and the Pany 100-400.   I now have an A7II and the Sony 100-400 and the 1.4 tc.   Takes me to only 560.   The Sony is a superior lens, though I got great results on M43 and the reach of the Pany on M43 and lighter weight was really nice.  I get what your saying, it just became easier for me to have one system.  Eventually i'd like to get an APSC Sony for the long stuff which will put me out around 800 or so.  Just haven't yet.

roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,954

I used to believe that modern FF digital cameras are a good fit for most of my needs.

For many years I used Canon FF cameras with a variety of lenses to cover my photographic interests: travel, wildlife, macro, landscape, fashion and kids (mostly mine, sometimes friends'). For a long time (i.e. until my daughter was born), I plainly refused to use mobile phones as cameras.

Years ago I was (un)lucky enough to try out a MF digital during a fashion meetup and I was hooked. So as soon as I could afford it, I bought a second hand MF rig and a few lenses...

Because I am not carrying neither my Canon FF nor my Hasselblad MF all the time, I guess I use 3 types of cameras, although only 2 of them qualify as "system" in my mind:

1. Hasselblad MF digital back (54*40mm) with 6 lenses for fashion photography
  2. Canon FF with 6 lenses for travel, wildlife, kid and any kind of semi-serious photography when speed and ISO tolerance are required
  3. My smartphone to document my daughter's life when I do not have a camera on me - this one is not a "system" in my mind but I do not feel strongly about this - and I certainly agree that modern smartphones have improved enough to become viable for me, although nowhere near enough to become my primary photography tool

All 3 options are subject to different compromises... none is perfect. And none would cover all of my very personal photographic needs and pet peeves to my satisfaction

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +13 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,235

roby17269 wrote:

Because I am not carrying neither my Canon FF nor my Hasselblad MF all the time,

I'm confused. When you say "not carrying neither" do you mean you are carrying both all the time? 

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,954

tbcass wrote:

roby17269 wrote:

Because I am not carrying neither my Canon FF nor my Hasselblad MF all the time,

I'm confused. When you say "not carrying neither" do you mean you are carrying both all the time?

Darn double negatives!

Nope you know what I mean... especially with the super-heavy tripod I use for the Hassy

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +13 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,235

roby17269 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

roby17269 wrote:

Darn double negatives!

Nope you know what I mean... especially with the super-heavy tripod I use for the Hassy

You knew what you meant but I like to get in an occasional dig. 😊

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads