Any way to transfer pictures to smartphone fast from D3s?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
ContaxRTSII Contributing Member • Posts: 587
Any way to transfer pictures to smartphone fast from D3s?

D3s doesn't have wifi of bluetooth wireless built in. Is there any aftermarket accessory available to connect between D3s and smartphone for picture transfer?

Wired or wirelessly with no need of computer.

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon D3S Sony a9 Nikon D500
Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kelvin L Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Any way to transfer pictures to smartphone fast from D3s?

I haven't tried this personally (don't have the D3s anymore), but you might be able to access the camera as a portable drive by using a USB-C or Micro-USB cable from an Android phone to Mini-USB camera port. Alternately use a USB to CF card reader with appropriate port adapter.

Not sure about iOS; lots of reports with iOS13 breaking the original Apple SD card reader functionality, so who knows if third party CF readers would work here as well.

Addendum: found this link which demonstrates the first suggestion. https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/fastest-way-transfer-photos-videos-from-your-dslr-your-android-0177420/

Kelvin L's gear list:Kelvin L's gear list
Kodak DC215
OP ContaxRTSII Contributing Member • Posts: 587

well, no luck for me, I'm using iphone...thanks

James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

Kelvin L wrote:

I haven't tried this personally (don't have the D3s anymore), but you might be able to access the camera as a portable drive by using a USB-C or Micro-USB cable from an Android phone to Mini-USB camera port. Alternately use a USB to CF card reader with appropriate port adapter.

Addendum: found this link which demonstrates the first suggestion. https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/fastest-way-transfer-photos-videos-from-your-dslr-your-android-0177420/

I have an OTG adapter that I've used with a standard USB card-reader on both tablets and my Android and can confirm this works.

You can also use an OTG for Apple and connect the USB cable directly to the camera. The memory cards should show up as individual devices

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D4S Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more
James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

ContaxRTSII wrote:

well, no luck for me, I'm using iphone...thanks

There's a thread here about this; it may simply be that Apple didn't enable it automatically, but it can be turned on. Kinda like how USB devices on Windows have to be enabled each time, vs just popping up and Explorer window.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D4S Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,573

Fastest is Apple USB adapter and cf card reader

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +19 more
Red_Sun Regular Member • Posts: 382

I always find this kind of thing intrigues me.  My iPhone is always full and Apple won't allow any external SD card.  And the digital photos get larger and larger.

Red_Sun's gear list:Red_Sun's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D610 Nikon D3 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Kelvin L Regular Member • Posts: 432

I’ve read (but haven’t personally tried) that instead of using the Photos app you have to read the camera/card with the Files app on iOS13. Have also read that third party card reader via lightning to USB adapter can be hit-and-miss.

Kelvin L's gear list:Kelvin L's gear list
Kodak DC215
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,429

Red_Sun wrote:

I always find this kind of thing intrigues me. My iPhone is always full and Apple won't allow any external SD card. And the digital photos get larger and larger.

I just have a 200GB iCloud account - transfer all my photos to iCloud that will save space on the phone.  Other option is copy all your photos to an external HD using iTune via iMac or PC.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
Red_Sun Regular Member • Posts: 382

mais51 wrote:

Red_Sun wrote:

I always find this kind of thing intrigues me. My iPhone is always full and Apple won't allow any external SD card. And the digital photos get larger and larger.

I just have a 200GB iCloud account - transfer all my photos to iCloud that will save space on the phone. Other option is copy all your photos to an external HD using iTune via iMac or PC.

I prefer to download photos to laptop or to external HD.  Too much data to transfer via phone.  Just me.

Red_Sun's gear list:Red_Sun's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D610 Nikon D3 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
fucile
fucile Regular Member • Posts: 347

I download the photos from my camera into Lightroom on my computer (my regular workflow) then then upload photos I want on my phone to my Google Photos account. That way they are accessable to me on any device (iOS or Android).

In this way I have even uploaded photos that were scanned from film that are close to one hundred years old (family photos from when my grandparents were kids). I can show/share them to people on any device.

fucile's gear list:fucile's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +8 more
lickity split
lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 6,038
CamRanger 2

https://camranger.com/camranger-2/

-- hide signature --

“Perhaps if you removed some clothing . “
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +11 more
Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,804

I use a CF card to lighting adapter.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D500 +17 more

Nice, that's easy solution, any specific brand name that you have success with?

Re: CamRanger 2

Looks nice but D3s is using CF card:(

This device seems to support only SD card?

lickity split

ContaxRTSII wrote:

Looks nice but D3s is using CF card:(

This device seems to support only SD card?

The card the camera uses has nothing to do with it , I used it on my D3S when I had one, it’s just a different transfer cable used....Here’s the link from CamRanger stating it supports it.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +11 more
millardmt Regular Member • Posts: 404

A friend of mine uses this combo to connect wirelessly from his D3s to his smartphone.

(See Toshiba FlashAir site for more information.)

64gb cf memory w/built-in wifi

sd-to-cf wifi card adapter

Marc

Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,804

ContaxRTSII wrote:

Nice, that's easy solution, any specific brand name that you have success with?

This one.

ttps://www.amazon.com/Reader-iPhone-Lightning-Camera-Required/dp/B07CPFRVM7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=VHFQQP3I3M75&keywords=cf+card+to+lightning+adapter&qid=1580347765&sprefix=Cf+card+to+light%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-3

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D500 +17 more
lickity split

I bought a lightinging cable to Sd card reader at Bestbuy this morning,they make one for cF cards

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjHse6_sKznAhWYk7MKHT_bDVAYABABGgJxbg&sig=AOD64_1oXPsVMcyeKFP60WmgmaaOEZUquQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjgreS_sKznAhX_mHIEHSwCCa0Qwg96BAgNEAw&adurl=

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads