Sony A9 with Canon Lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Henri83 New Member • Posts: 5
Sony A9 with Canon Lenses

Hi,
Well equiped with Canon lenses : 100-400 II, 300 F2.8 II, 500 F4 II I mainly use them for BIF
I plan to by a Sony A9 and try to use my Canon lenses via adapters ( MC-11 or Metabones…)
Any experience on AF tracking with that lenses on A9 ?
Wich adapter performs well for that lenses on A9 ?
Wich limitations ( 10 fps only … others ?)
Thanks
(Sorry for my bad English)

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Sony A9 with Canon Lenses

The adapted telephoto lenses do not really work very well with the Sony bodies plus adapter. The reason for this is due to the different technologies used in the focusing motors. My advice is to sell your Canon EF lenses while you still can, and use the money to buy native Sony glass. Alternatively, keep your Canon lenses and buy the Canon 1DxIII.

OP Henri83 New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks, your advice to look for 1Dx3 seems logic but I have and try to sell my 1Dx2 to reduce the weight of my backpack as I become older !

I plan to buy a Sony 200 600 but it should be good to be able to use the Canon 300 F2.8 for wich there is no Sony alternative and it will cost me a max to replace all my actual lenses.
A temporary solution with adapters should be nice

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,866

do some searches for those lenses on this sony forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/56

MedicineMan999
MedicineMan999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,707

Personally I would not hesitate at all to BIF with the a9+EOS 400DOii (the swan below even with the 2.0TCiii). With the latest MC-11 update the 400DOii is in my estimation 99.9 percent native. It is the only EOS lens I can attest too...having rid of the rest of the big whites I had almost 2 years ago.

That said I now prefer using the FE200600 for wildlife...just the benefits of a zoom for that genre and the incredible higher ISO performance of the a9.

So here's a few via the a9 and Canon 400DO ii

MedicineMan999's gear list:MedicineMan999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-3 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Sony RX100 V +59 more
Jingo M New Member • Posts: 15

I also transitioned from Canon to Sony over the last two years. I did not get usable AF for sports until I bought the A7III body upon release and coupled it with the MC-11 adapter. The a7/a7II AF systems were too primitive and slow.  I used this combo with the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II lens with a great deal of success. I even shot night college football and soccer games with it and occasionally even with the 1.4x teleconverter. Recently, I upgraded to the a9 and the native Sony 70-200 2.8 GM. While the speed and sharpness are noticeably better than my A7III/Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II setup, I think adapting Canon glass is a great option as you transition your equipment to native Sony mount lenses. Since I couldn't do it all at once, this was a viable option for me. Additionally, I would say using the MC-11 on an a9 with any version II or newer Canon telephoto lens will probably yield even better results as the firmware upgrades to the a9 have made adapted glass even more responsive.

One final note, my 300mm Canon F4L lens which is a version I, does not work very well on either the a7III or the a9. Your telezooms are of the newer vintage should not be an issue.

Good luck with the transition to Sony! IMHO, the a9 is awesome with both native and adapted glass.

Jingo M's gear list:Jingo M's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +5 more
OP Henri83 New Member • Posts: 5

Thank you for your advices
Nice shots MedecineMan999 with 400 DO II
I will try a couple A9+200 600 one week and then try to get an adapter to make my own test.But experience from others is welcome.
Happy to see (Jingo M) that it should be possible to use the Canon Lenses V2

ruley74
ruley74 Regular Member • Posts: 175

Hi there,

Curious if there is any further feedback on this subject, specifically the 100-400 mk II?

I'm considering the transition but really don't want to have to grab the 200-600 at the same time.

Cheers,

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,879

ruley74 wrote:

Hi there,

Curious if there is any further feedback on this subject, specifically the 100-400 mk II?

I'm considering the transition but really don't want to have to grab the 200-600 at the same time.

Cheers,

Can’t say how it will work on the a9 but the latest firmware 1.29 on the MC-11 and the a7riv appears to be working well according to this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1632575/0?keyword=Mc-11#15122366

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads