Orion with 135mm mosaic

Started Jan 23, 2020 | Discussions
elgol20
elgol20 Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Orion with 135mm mosaic

Hi,

since I had servere break downs due to cold ice I just could do some lighttrack photos the old way with a Sigma Art 135mm lens, here a 3 panel mosaic, total ca. 90min at f/2.2 using a modded D800E. Missed the complete Barnard loop, next time...

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

elgol20's gear list:elgol20's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,988
Re: Orion with 135mm mosaic

Lovely shot!

BlackgumNate Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Really liking this one, Stefan! Wowza!

Nate

DMcGarvey
DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 256

Really great work!  A very high-end image 👍

elgol20
OP elgol20 Contributing Member • Posts: 807

DMcGarvey wrote:

Really great work! A very high-end image 👍

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,471

Beautiful!

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
82Virago Regular Member • Posts: 218

Gorgeous.

I need to get some wider field images. I love all the extra detail in the entire constellation. Until recently I had no idea it was there.

Cheers

Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

82Virago wrote:

Gorgeous.

I need to get some wider field images. I love all the extra detail in the entire constellation. Until recently I had no idea it was there.

It's a great image. And isn't it amazing how much structure and nebulae are picked up today in long exposures? The longer your total exposure, the more you get.

DMcGarvey
DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 256

NancyP wrote:

Beautiful!

Thanks!

tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138

elgol20 wrote:

Hi,

since I had servere break downs due to cold ice I just could do some lighttrack photos the old way with a Sigma Art 135mm lens, here a 3 panel mosaic, total ca. 90min at f/2.2 using a modded D800E. Missed the complete Barnard loop, next time...

This is a wonderful image.  It would help me if I knew the FOV of this mosaic.  I'm using APSc & have 90 & 56 & 50mm.  So I'm trying to figure out if one of them would give a similar FOV as your 3x 135mm.  I could do a mosaic or single frame.

Thanks,

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
elgol20

tradesmith45 wrote:

elgol20 wrote:

Hi,

This is a wonderful image. It would help me if I knew the FOV of this mosaic. I'm using APSc & have 90 & 56 & 50mm. So I'm trying to figure out if one of them would give a similar FOV as your 3x 135mm. I could do a mosaic or single frame.

Thanks,

thanks. sure it will. be sure to increase exp.time. I prefer longer focal length like this. less would take more time if you e.g. need to close aperture to like f/4

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

elgol20

DMcGarvey wrote:

NancyP wrote:

Beautiful!

Thanks!

hi david, could be another pic maybe?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

tradesmith45 wrote:

elgol20 wrote:

Hi,

This is a wonderful image. It would help me if I knew the FOV of this mosaic. I'm using APSc & have 90 & 56 & 50mm. So I'm trying to figure out if one of them would give a similar FOV as your 3x 135mm. I could do a mosaic or single frame.

Since you did not get the answer you wanted, I would suggest using your 56mm with the camera in portrait orientation to get a similar field of view on APS-C. At any particular f-ratio, your 90mm lens will have a larger aperture than the other two you listed.  So if you were to do a three-panel or even four-panel mosaic (the latter with more overlap) of the area with the 90mm in landscape orientation, you would capture more light and fainter stars in the same total exposure time.

But unless your camera is modified to be more sensitive to the h-alpha wavelength, you won't be capturing quite as much of the light from that as elgol20 did here. With most stock cameras, you would need to expose much longer to compensate. But the resulting image won't emphasize the red quite as much. OTOH, the image would actually have a more natural color balance.

tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138

Alen K wrote:

tradesmith45 wrote:

elgol20 wrote:

Hi,

Since you did not get the answer you wanted, I would suggest using your 56mm with the camera in portrait orientation to get a similar field of view on APS-C. At any particular f-ratio, your 90mm lens will have a larger aperture than the other two you listed. So if you were to do a three-panel or even four-panel mosaic (the latter with more overlap) of the area with the 90mm in landscape orientation, you would capture more light and fainter stars in the same total exposure time.

But unless your camera is modified to be more sensitive to the h-alpha wavelength, you won't be capturing quite as much of the light from that as elgol20 did here. With most stock cameras, you would need to expose much longer to compensate. But the resulting image won't emphasize the red quite as much. OTOH, the image would actually have a more natural color balance.

Hi,

Thanks Alan, this will be a project for next winter maybe.  Clear sky in the winter is rare here in W. Oregon.  I'll fire up Stellariem to figure out the FOV I want for this region.

Did an interest projection.  To cover the FOV of a 56mm APSC with a mosaic of 90mm images w/ 25% overlap would require 9 panels.  Kid of surprised.

I hear you about the modes camera.  I sold my m43 full spectrum when I moved to Fuji.  I figured it gave me 1/2 EV more light overall & more in the reds.  Fortunately Fuji's seem to pass lots of red.  Would take a long time to collect the same number of photons w/  90mm 9x unmoded when you're throwing away that 25% 9 times.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads