Best company to buy 16" Macbook Pro

Started 3 months ago | Questions
RHutch
RHutch Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Best company to buy 16" Macbook Pro

I've had my 21" imac for five years & it's so slow with Photoshop & Lightroom that it's driving me crazy. I've decided to go with the 512 SSD & 32 gig's of ram. I've purchased most of my photography equipment from B&H Photo. should I  buy from them, or is there a better deal to be had?

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Re: Best company to buy 16" Macbook Pro

Unlikely that you will find much of a price differential at this point. The only price advantage I can think of is to get the B&H credit card which will pay the sales tax.

tsinsf's gear list:tsinsf's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,023

The online Apple Store doesn't offer discounts.  It does let you customize the CPU, the amount of RAM, the amount of SSD space, and the GPU.  These are customizations that often are not available elsewhere.

AZdgordon New Member • Posts: 20

I did purchase a custom order 27” iMac from B&H several years ago.  It was a 27” iMac to mount on wall (so, no attached stand).  It took a week or two to get it, but it was to my specifications.  Don’t know whether custom order MacBook Pro’s are available from them, but it may be worth asking.  As has been pointed out, you may be able to save sales tax cost by getting the B&H Payboo credit card and using that to pay for purchase.

JPR_Deadpool
JPR_Deadpool New Member • Posts: 21

You can save $150 by getting the base model through B&H, but since you want 32gb of ram, the price is the same whether you buy from Apple or B&H.

JPR_Deadpool's gear list:JPR_Deadpool's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
dlevitt Contributing Member • Posts: 591

Keep an eye on the 'refurbished' section of Apple's online store. You can't customize, but all sorts of configurations are offered for sale [once a new model has been on sale a while]

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Apple Aperture +3 more
RHutch
OP RHutch Contributing Member • Posts: 805

Hey thanks everyone for your input.  I'm super excited to get it.!

LarryRC Regular Member • Posts: 376

Tom_N wrote:

The online Apple Store doesn't offer discounts. It does let you customize the CPU, the amount of RAM, the amount of SSD space, and the GPU. These are customizations that often are not available elsewhere.

They are available at BH photo also.  Once you customize you lose the discount that they offer for a “standard” configuration.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
kleks Regular Member • Posts: 295

Also check Other World Computing - aka macsales.com; they do sell refurnbs; they also sell upgradse kits - you can save nice $$ by getting unit + upgrades from OWC.

Just a happy customer of OWC.

/kleks

-- hide signature --
 kleks's gear list:kleks's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,383

kleks wrote:

Also check Other World Computing - aka macsales.com; they do sell refurnbs; they also sell upgradse kits - you can save nice $$ by getting unit + upgrades from OWC.

/kleks

Now you've piqued my interest.  What's an upgrade kit for a MacBook Pro?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
mustaphapashu
mustaphapashu Regular Member • Posts: 255

Curious why there's no love for Macsales? I've been very happy purchasing drives and memory from them.

LarryRC Regular Member • Posts: 376

mustaphapashu wrote:

Curious why there's no love for Macsales? I've been very happy purchasing drives and memory from them.

When I have used them their products have been great and technical support goes way beyond even on years out of warranty products.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,161

RHutch wrote:

I've had my 21" imac for five years & it's so slow with Photoshop & Lightroom that it's driving me crazy. I've decided to go with the 512 SSD & 32 gig's of ram. I've purchased most of my photography equipment from B&H Photo. should I buy from them, or is there a better deal to be had?

Thanks

A 16 MBP starts at 2400 while a 27 iMac  starts at 1800. Is there a reason  to move from the  desk top model that you have  and pay a huge premium  for a lap top when the stated use is PS and LR - which I find  ( having both a MBP and an iMac 27)  for more functional with a larger ( by over 10")  screen?

You can make  upgrades to a 27 iMac  and still come in lower priced  than a base 16 MBP.

-- hide signature --

dw

kleks Regular Member • Posts: 295

Jim in Hudson wrote:

kleks wrote:

/kleks

Now you've piqued my interest. What's an upgrade kit for a MacBook Pro?

head to :

https://eshop.macsales.com/

too many options to list.

/kleks

-- hide signature --
 kleks's gear list:kleks's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more

kleks wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

kleks wrote:

/kleks

head to :

/kleks

The newest MBP for which they list a memory upgrade is the late 2016 model.

Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,023

Jim in Hudson wrote:

kleks wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

head to :

/kleks

There is no practical way to upgrade RAM in a Retina MacBook Pro.  It's soldered in – and there are no accessory sockets for more.

The news is a little better for SSDs.  Some 2012 – 2015 models use plug-in SSDs for which OWC sells upgrades.  I have seen reports of some models using very Apple-specific SSDs, or even soldered-in SSDs, so I wouldn't assume that there will necessarily be upgrades for the 2016 – 2019 models.

With regards to the "Late 2016" model that can take a RAM upgrade, that would be the 13" Late 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro, which Apple dropped in 2016.

Tom_N wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

kleks wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

head to :

/kleks

There is no practical way to upgrade RAM in a Retina MacBook Pro. It's soldered in – and there are no accessory sockets for more.

The news is a little better for SSDs. Some 2012 – 2015 models use plug-in SSDs for which OWC sells upgrades. I have seen reports of some models using very Apple-specific SSDs, or even soldered-in SSDs, so I wouldn't assume that there will necessarily be upgrades for the 2016 – 2019 models.

With regards to the "Late 2016" model that can take a RAM upgrade, that would be the 13" Late 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro, which Apple dropped in 2016.

BTW (and primarily for the OP)... if you're a Costco member, they have a sale on the 16" MBP.  Both i7 16/526 and i9 16/1 TB are the best prices I have yet to see anywhere.

david__p Regular Member • Posts: 226

mustaphapashu wrote:

i used to buy a lot from OWC/MacSales until Mirco Center showed up in my city. overall OWC is very fast on delivery and extremely reliable to purchase from. i had 2 SSD's i bought many years ago both quit working in less than 1 year and they replaced them with no hassle. really good customer service as well.

david

mustaphapashu
mustaphapashu Regular Member • Posts: 255

david__p wrote:

mustaphapashu wrote:

i used to buy a lot from OWC/MacSales until Mirco Center showed up in my city. overall OWC is very fast on delivery and extremely reliable to purchase from. i had 2 SSD's i bought many years ago both quit working in less than 1 year and they replaced them with no hassle. really good customer service as well.

david

Is Micro Center a quality retailer? I could get to one locally with a little effort. Be good to know.

dlevitt Contributing Member • Posts: 591

mustaphapashu wrote:

david__p wrote:

mustaphapashu wrote:

david

Is Micro Center a quality retailer? I could get to one locally with a little effort. Be good to know.

They are an Apple authorized repair center, and also sell refurbished by Apple Macs.

Remember to buy the Apple Care extended warranty too.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Apple Aperture +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads