HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR now official

Started Jan 22, 2020 | Discussions
klimbkat
klimbkat Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
Re: HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR now official

MacOli wrote:

Way too expensive for a rebadged, "dumbed" down Tamron lens, with a probable 20% chance of a having decentering defects when you order one.

I'm having a hard time diasgreeing with this.  B&H has the Tamron for Nikon at $599, not a sale, not used, regular price.  I'll just keep using my excellent DA* 60-250.

Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

One of the benefits Pentax have is that the lens was designed to work with the camera from scratch. I have modern tamron lenses with my Canon DSLR and some features just don't work properly on some of them, i.e. liveview af and AF speed but do work on different models. It's always a gamble upgrading the body to find out what doesn't work with the newer bodies.... The issue with reverse engineering I suspect. With the Pentax that just wouldn't be an issue (I expect) that lens is going to work with future bodies.

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,716

klimbkat wrote:

MacOli wrote:

Way too expensive for a rebadged, "dumbed" down Tamron lens, with a probable 20% chance of a having decentering defects when you order one.

I'm having a hard time diasgreeing with this. B&H has the Tamron for Nikon at $599, not a sale, not used, regular price. I'll just keep using my excellent DA* 60-250.

Ummm... that $599 figure us a $200 dollar off sales figure, you might want to re-check B&H

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,397
Re: Tamron

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

Looks to be the Tamron 70-210. Same number of elements, min focus and max magnification.

to quote Lenstip

”The summary can be only positive – you get a lens optically better than the products of Nikon or Canon and it is also noticeably cheaper.”

Add Pentax coating and quality control and you have a clear winner exclusive to Pentaxians. 👌

Pentax quality control??? Are you kidding???

I have had Pentax lens after Pentax lens with optical decentering. More than once it has taken three samples of a Pentax lens to get an acceptable one. My first copy of the DA* 50-135 had an optical element loose and rattling around inside the barrel.

My two Tamron rebadged lenses--the 15-30 and the 24-70--have been perfect. They were manufactured by Tamron in Japan. The 70-210 will probably be too.

Joe

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,397

Walt_A wrote:

One of the benefits Pentax have is that the lens was designed to work with the camera from scratch. I have modern tamron lenses with my Canon DSLR and some features just don't work properly on some of them, i.e. liveview af and AF speed but do work on different models. It's always a gamble upgrading the body to find out what doesn't work with the newer bodies.... The issue with reverse engineering I suspect. With the Pentax that just wouldn't be an issue (I expect) that lens is going to work with future bodies.

The lens will have Pentax's electronics.

Joe

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,775

Sounds good Ricoh; now give us a 16-35 f4 that takes filters, and I'll give you my money.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T4 +16 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,825

Massao wrote:

petedelry wrote:

In Sweden the price for this lens is 14 990 Swedish crowns (at Cyberphoto). The same dealer currently is selling the Tamron 70-210 F4 at the reduced price of 3 990 Swedish crowns (ordinary price 6 790 Swedish crowns).

So I could today buy the Tamron version of the 70-210 F4 an add a Nikon D7500 for the total price of 14740 and save 250 crowns comparing to buying the Pentax version of the lens.

Pfff... that's crazy. At least, the lens has reached Sweden. Still no sign of it in Norway

The lens will be available in February. The Cyberphoto price is too high by some 200 euro.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,825

MightyMike wrote:

klimbkat wrote:

MacOli wrote:

I'm having a hard time diasgreeing with this. B&H has the Tamron for Nikon at $599, not a sale, not used, regular price. I'll just keep using my excellent DA* 60-250.

Ummm... that $599 figure us a $200 dollar off sales figure, you might want to re-check B&H

So we're talking about a $300 premium for the Pentax version, considering it wasn't discounted yet.

After this is just a matter of how much it will be discounted.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
klimbkat
klimbkat Senior Member • Posts: 2,473

MightyMike wrote:

klimbkat wrote:

MacOli wrote:

Didn't notice the fine print, just  the bottom line - $599. Tamron is offering such savings on many of their lenses, and the 70-210 can be had new for $509 from Abes. That's the reality the Pentax version will be released against, so there should be some significant discounting really fast. Even so, it will never hit $600 and even at, say $900, that's a 50% premium over the current Tamron sale price.  In any event it is unlikely to move me off the DA* 60-250 which works really well on the K1 for portraits, concert shooting, etc.

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,444

klimbkat wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

klimbkat wrote:

MacOli wrote:

Didn't notice the fine print, just the bottom line - $599. Tamron is offering such savings on many of their lenses, and the 70-210 can be had new for $509 from Abes. That's the reality the Pentax version will be released against, so there should be some significant discounting really fast. Even so, it will never hit $600 and even at, say $900, that's a 50% premium over the current Tamron sale price. In any event it is unlikely to move me off the DA* 60-250 which works really well on the K1 for portraits, concert shooting, etc.

To be fair, I doubt they are targeting existing 60-250 users with this lens. If not for the FF aspect there would be no point in it in the Pentax lineup.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
MacOli Contributing Member • Posts: 508

Gary Martin wrote:

Sounds good Ricoh; now give us a 16-35 f4 that takes filters, and I'll give you my money.

+1

Yes, one of the most puzzling omissions in the Pentax FF line up. A lens like this is really desperately needed for a landscape jewel like the K1.

MacOli's gear list:MacOli's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax FA 70-200 F2.8 Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW +4 more
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,775

MacOli wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

+1

Yes, one of the most puzzling omissions in the Pentax FF line up. A lens like this is really desperately needed for a landscape jewel like the K1.

And the current trend of astrophotography has pushed wide lenses into fast aperture territory, which has made them large and expensive.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T4 +16 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125
I don't understand 70-210/4 … at all

Why Ricoh did not opt for an updated DA* 60-250/4 ?
Would it not be better to improve on an existing original and retain the price & value proposition than issue a new lens, a copy of Tamron, which is selling heavily discounted for other mounts?
I do not understand Ricoh's reasoning in this. It is counterintuitive and user-unfriendly in more than one quarter.
Can somebody enlighten me?

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,716
Re: I don't understand 70-210/4 … at all

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Why Ricoh did not opt for an updated DA* 60-250/4 ?
Would it not be better to improve on an existing original and retain the price & value proposition than issue a new lens, a copy of Tamron, which is selling heavily discounted for other mounts?
I do not understand Ricoh's reasoning in this. It is counterintuitive and user-unfriendly in more than one quarter.
Can somebody enlighten me?

I agree a modified 60-250 for FF would have been great, however when the decision was made to go for the clone of the Tamron at a specific price point was the Tamron as discounted as it is now?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

egk4260 Contributing Member • Posts: 776
Re: I don't understand 70-210/4 … at all

It could make plenty of sense in that:

It is a popular zoom range/aperture lens in other mounts.

The lens has been well received in reviews.

It will likely be offered at a lower price point than could be possible with a redesigned 60-250

It is available almost immediately. No roadmaps, no delays

The major R&D investments have already occurred on someone else’s bottom line.

The R&D budget for an in house redesign may not be defensible in the current market and more pointedly, the Pentax share of that market.

The vendor has a good relationship with Ricoh and thorough working knowledge of the system.

Tamron is reportedly the actual manufacturer for a lot of lenses for a lot of companies including Ricoh/Pentax.

Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045

petedelry wrote:

In Sweden the price for this lens is 14 990 Swedish crowns (at Cyberphoto). The same dealer currently is selling the Tamron 70-210 F4 at the reduced price of 3 990 Swedish crowns (ordinary price 6 790 Swedish crowns).

So I could today buy the Tamron version of the 70-210 F4 an add a Nikon D7500 for the total price of 14740 and save 250 crowns comparing to buying the Pentax version of the lens.

That's hard to ignore, you could just buy the Nikon combo and be guaranteed action/sports camera performance as well.

The Pentax price is around £1100 in the UK, roughly the DA* 60-250 f4 price new. I know what I would buy if I didn't already own it.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045

Gary Martin wrote:

MacOli wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

+1

And the current trend of astrophotography has pushed wide lenses into fast aperture territory, which has made them large and expensive.

Better to have different lenses for astro and landscape.

I use the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for astro nightscapes, for K-1 I'd have the Samyang 24mm f1.4 then an f4 short WA zoom like you ask for.

I use HD DA15 f4 and 20-40 f2.8-f4 Limiteds for everything landscapes, not astro but both are good for moonscapes as it is much brighter.

Our night skies are getting worse with increased light pollution and 10,000s of new satellites going up soon for internet, astro is becoming more depressingly difficult to do.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,713
Re: HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm: Good News

While we can wring our hands that it is likely a Tamron rebadge, it is good to see Pentax is still offering new products; even at a glacial pace.  Looks like a good lens to have once prices settle out in 1-2 years.

Dale

Smitty1 wrote:

HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR

A compact, lightweight and weather-resistant telephoto zoom lens for use with 35mm-format full-frame digital SLR providing great portability

Even though it has a highly portable design, this high-performance zoom lens covers a 35mm full-frame image circle. Its compact, lightweight, weather-resistant body lets users carry it anywhere with ease, and effortlessly capture high-quality images of a wide range of subjects, including landscapes, portraits, close-ups and sports events. Use of the high-grade, multi-layer HD Coating to the optics optimizes the overall lens coating performance, while assuring edge-to-edge sharpness and minimizing flare and ghost images in backlit situations. Thanks to a minimum focusing distance of 0.95 meters and a maximum magnification of 0.32 times, it provides a photographic coverage much wider than that of previous models.

$1,099.95

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/hd-pentax-d-fa-70-210mm-f4-ed-sdm-wr/

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125
According to the explanation you provided, …

You have given all the reasons why nobody should ever buy Pentax branded equipment.
According to the explanation you provided, it is also cheaper, and more convenient, to have a DSLR other than Pentax, because lenses such as this one surely make it possible.

egk4260 wrote:

It could make plenty of sense in that:

It is a popular zoom range/aperture lens in other mounts.

The lens has been well received in reviews.

It will likely be offered at a lower price point than could be possible with a redesigned 60-250

It is available almost immediately. No roadmaps, no delays

The major R&D investments have already occurred on someone else’s bottom line.

The R&D budget for an in house redesign may not be defensible in the current market and more pointedly, the Pentax share of that market.

The vendor has a good relationship with Ricoh and thorough working knowledge of the system.

Tamron is reportedly the actual manufacturer for a lot of lenses for a lot of companies including Ricoh/Pentax.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

BryantP Regular Member • Posts: 283

Gary Martin wrote:

Although if Ricoh is going to re-badge Tamron Lenses I wish they would re-badge Tamron's 17-35mm f2.8-4 Di OSD wide angle zoom. Its much more compact than the DA F 15-30mm, reasonably priced & surprisingly good.  I have the Nikon version & am pleased with it.  It would be great lower priced compact wide angle zoom option for the K-1/K-1 II.

BryantP's gear list:BryantP's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax KP +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads