HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR now official

Started Jan 22, 2020 | Discussions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR now official

HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR

A compact, lightweight and weather-resistant telephoto zoom lens for use with 35mm-format full-frame digital SLR providing great portability

Even though it has a highly portable design, this high-performance zoom lens covers a 35mm full-frame image circle. Its compact, lightweight, weather-resistant body lets users carry it anywhere with ease, and effortlessly capture high-quality images of a wide range of subjects, including landscapes, portraits, close-ups and sports events. Use of the high-grade, multi-layer HD Coating to the optics optimizes the overall lens coating performance, while assuring edge-to-edge sharpness and minimizing flare and ghost images in backlit situations. Thanks to a minimum focusing distance of 0.95 meters and a maximum magnification of 0.32 times, it provides a photographic coverage much wider than that of previous models.

$1,099.95

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/hd-pentax-d-fa-70-210mm-f4-ed-sdm-wr/

Mistral75
Mistral75 Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Re: HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR now official

And £/€1,199. Available on the 15th of February.

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,426
Tamron

Looks to be the Tamron 70-210. Same number of elements, min focus and max magnification.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
vietnam74 Regular Member • Posts: 290

Now I'm waiting for the next D FA* lens.

vietnam74's gear list:vietnam74's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +20 more
K0d Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Tamron

GossCTP wrote:

Looks to be the Tamron 70-210. Same number of elements, min focus and max magnification.

to quote Lenstip

”The summary can be only positive – you get a lens optically better than the products of Nikon or Canon and it is also noticeably cheaper.”

Add Pentax coating and quality control and you have a clear winner exclusive to Pentaxians. 👌

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

to quote Lenstip

”The summary can be only positive – you get a lens optically better than the products of Nikon or Canon and it is also noticeably cheaper.”

Also retails for $800 in those mounts.

Add Pentax coating and quality control and you have a clear winner exclusive to Pentaxians. 👌

I don't believe that Pentax has a coating edge anymore. Everyone's coatings seem top notch. Dubious on the quality control as well. For the extra money there is WR and quick shift focusing, which I don't think is present in the Tammy.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,695

GossCTP wrote:

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

to quote Lenstip

I don't believe that Pentax has a coating edge anymore. Everyone's coatings seem top notch. Dubious on the quality control as well. For the extra money there is WR and quick shift focusing, which I don't think is present in the Tammy.

Don't forget the focus limiter, and when it comes to coatings all companies seem to have good coatings but there are examples where some companies really do poorly when it comes to flare control even on the most modern lenses.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,206

GossCTP wrote:

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

to quote Lenstip

The Tamron version has quickshift and weather seals in the exact same locations. Many (here) tout the Pentax WR as if it is a rare feature. But that's available on a lot of different brands lenses today. All the modern Tamron lenses for example have it.

I will be interested in seeing a 1 to 1 comparison of flare, ghosting, contrast in hard light and other situations between Tamron and Pentax versions of this lens. Out of curiosity more than anything since you can't get one on the other.

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125

MightyMike wrote:

Don't forget the focus limiter, and when it comes to coatings all companies seem to have good coatings but there are examples where some companies really do poorly when it comes to flare control even on the most modern lenses.

That's Sigma and their disrespectable ways of cutting the cost.

Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045

MightyMike wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

to quote Lenstip

I'll bet any money the HD coatings in the Pentax clone result in a vastly more flare resistant lens than Tamrons.

Pentax still have the best coatings, I gasp at how bad other brands are in UWA and WA lenses. Nothing ruins a good backlit photo as much as lens flare. This is why for me Pentax has the best landscape camera system.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
ellover009 Contributing Member • Posts: 975

Seems a bit pricey compared to it's competitor's, but if the optics can walk the walk then it might be justified.

This lens seems to be similar to the tamron $600 lens with some improvements, minus the Image Stabilization, which is not needed and adds cost and complexity.

It's competitors from other brands are.

Canon EF 70-200 F4 $569

Interestingly I thought nikon had a non VR  house brand version of the 70-200, but it looks like they don't.

They have the AF-S NIkkor 70-200mm f4 ED VR ( VR = Image stabilized).

ellover009's gear list:ellover009's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Pentax K-1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,695

Oiche wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

to quote Lenstip

I'll bet any money the HD coatings in the Pentax clone result in a vastly more flare resistant lens than Tamrons.

I wouldn't bet on vastly!

Pentax still have the best coatings, I gasp at how bad other brands are in UWA and WA lenses. Nothing ruins a good backlit photo as much as lens flare. This is why for me Pentax has the best landscape camera system.

There is one thing that so many people on these forums and elsewhere don't realize about flare, its not just about coating, sure coating has helped a great deal but all it can really do is reduce the strength of the reflection, it cannot remove the reflection. You need to design a lens so that it doesn't have similar parallel curvatures or lack there of from air-gapped elements next to each other to eliminate most flare from an optical design, having the curvatures quite different from one another will allow any reflections to leave the optical path rather than stay in the optical path all the way to the sensor. The problem is that some optical formulas and designs don't lend themselves to this and will always induce worse flare than others, therefore certain lens types in certain focal length ranges unless designed quite rare and fancily will always have problems with flare where the best coatings will only minimize the amount of reflection and not the reflection itself.

I believe the HD coatings will weaken the strength of the reflections that occur in this new lens but those reflections will still be there as the optical layout hasn't changed.

So where one sees a wide angle lens (or any lens) with very little flare as compared to another similar lens and thinks its due to the coating, go back and look at the optical layout differences and realize that the coating isn't the whole story, its not even the majority factor!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

egk4260 Contributing Member • Posts: 776

K0d wrote:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20090244709

https://patents.justia.com/patent/8586144

Before you get too excited about exclusiveness do realize the Ricoh coating we typically speak about is a Hoya development as seen in application for the patent, and was transferred to Ricoh when patent was granted. One reference is the patent application, the other reference the patent granted for that application. I don't know who makes the optical glass for Tamron, but Hoya is a major supplier of glass to many lens makers.

If QC is a step up that would be a big plus as variability in QC seems to always be a forum topic with Tamron.

petedelry Junior Member • Posts: 48

In Sweden the price for this lens is 14 990 Swedish crowns (at Cyberphoto). The same dealer currently is selling the Tamron 70-210 F4 at the reduced price of 3 990 Swedish crowns (ordinary price 6 790 Swedish crowns).

So I could today buy the Tamron version of the 70-210 F4 an add a Nikon D7500 for the total price of 14740 and save 250 crowns comparing to buying the Pentax version of the lens.

petedelry's gear list:petedelry's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II +14 more

petedelry wrote:

So I could today buy the Tamron version of the 70-210 F4 an add a Nikon D7500 for the total price of 14740 and save 250 crowns comparing to buying the Pentax version of the lens.

Yikes. How much is the Pentax 70-200 f/2.8 there?

-- hide signature --

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,806

Smitty1 wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

K0d wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

to quote Lenstip

The Tamron version has quickshift and weather seals in the exact same locations.

Of course it does, as the point was to avoid an expensive barrel redesign.

Many (here) tout the Pentax WR as if it is a rare feature.

It was (affordable weather sealing). Then others started catching up.

But that's available on a lot of different brands lenses today. All the modern Tamron lenses for example have it.

I will be interested in seeing a 1 to 1 comparison of flare, ghosting, contrast in hard light and other situations between Tamron and Pentax versions of this lens. Out of curiosity more than anything since you can't get one on the other.

Me too.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more

egk4260 wrote:

K0d wrote:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20090244709

https://patents.justia.com/patent/8586144

Before you get too excited about exclusiveness do realize the Ricoh coating we typically speak about is a Hoya development as seen in application for the patent

I've seen the speculation that Pentax coatings are actually Hoya's, but is it actually true?

Ricoh Imaging has their own coating-related patents, so they are continuing to develop new coatings.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more

petedelry wrote:

In Sweden the price for this lens is 14 990 Swedish crowns (at Cyberphoto). The same dealer currently is selling the Tamron 70-210 F4 at the reduced price of 3 990 Swedish crowns (ordinary price 6 790 Swedish crowns).

Which means the Tamron is not selling at all? I see no other explanation for such a dramatic discount (assuming it's not refurbished, second hand...)

Alex

-- hide signature --

MacOli Contributing Member • Posts: 508

Way too expensive for a rebadged, "dumbed" down Tamron lens, with a probable 20% chance of a having decentering defects when you order one.

MacOli's gear list:MacOli's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax FA 70-200 F2.8 Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW +4 more
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580

petedelry wrote:

Pfff... that's crazy. At least, the lens has reached Sweden. Still no sign of it in Norway

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads