New Use For D40 6MP : Super Resolution Stitched Photographs

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
chrisD46 Regular Member • Posts: 346
New Use For D40 6MP : Super Resolution Stitched Photographs

Most owners of the Nikon D40 praise the image quality  the CCD 6MP sensor of the D40 puts out - however at only 6MP the lack of resolution (as compared to modern 24MP Nikon DX cameras) can be a bit of a hindrance . *The solution : Super resolution panorama stitching . I'm not talking bout stitching hundreds of over lapping images into the gigapixel realm - just perhaps up to a dozen or so  overlapping images or so to give the 6MP D40 sensor a bit of a boost to up the resolution of the final image into the realm of a D850 (40+MP) . I have a low shutter count D40 with a 55mm - 200mm VRII that I believe will be ideal for the technique - has anybody tried doing what I describe here with a D40 or low MP DSLR that other than the low resolution you like the image quality ,  color rendition , etc. ? Thanks in advance for replies ...

Nikon D40 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Michael Winterbourne
John Michael Winterbourne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057
Re: New Use For D40 6MP : Super Resolution Stitched Photographs

Well, the D60 has 10MP but it does have a CCD sensor.  It wasn't so much the lack of resolution that led me to do this stitching job, it was just that I had a Dandelion chipped Series E 50/1.8 as my only lens at the time *, so I needed to stitch to get the whole view in.  Obviously I could have done a better job, but I think the gaps add to the charm.  Also - in my opinion - the time lapse thing also adds rather than takes away.

I think 3 across and 3 up and down.  End result is about 25 MP.  Cardiff.

I might have been able to get similar coverage with my Sigma 8-16, but I would have had to have swapped lenses and that would have taken most of the fun away.

* I had a whole bagful a few miles away, but that's a different story.

John Michael Winterbourne's gear list:John Michael Winterbourne's gear list
Olympus C-300 Zoom Fujifilm X100T Nikon D70 Nikon D80 Nikon D2X +37 more
OP chrisD46 Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: New Use For D40 6MP : Super Resolution Stitched Photographs

25MP for what you did seems about right ... I will try about 12 to 16 images creating a buffer all around to allow the software to do it's merge thing and still leave room to crop around the edges to even things up (under 50MP) . Beyond that then PC power , memory starts to be a factor  ... Triptych images would be another way to extend the apparent resolution of the 6MP D40 .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads