GFX 100 Questions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tvstaff
tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,520
GFX 100 Questions

Considering the GFX 100 and have a few questions.

1.  Want the camera for fashion to include "runway"
  2. For runway, models move and I need to use a telephoto I understand there is a Fuji 100-200 at 5.6. Would I be better off with an adapter and using a Canon 2.8 70-200?
  3. or can I push ISO to 4000 without noise? And stick with the Fuji 100-200
  4. With 14 stops of DR, will shadow and highlight recovery be equal to or better than something like a Canon 1DXMKII?
  5. Will I really get 5fps?
  6. Will the camera focus on a walking model in a spinning dress?
  7. Will I need a leaf shutter for studio work? Srtobes?
  8. What lenses should I look at first to realize the true capacity of the camera?
  9. From a workflow perspective will Photoshop and Lightroom suffice?
  10. I understand that adaperters for EF Canon Lenses
  11. are possible per the salesperson at B&H. A. What will be the biggest sacrifice?
  12.   What could I expect placing a f2.8 300mm IS USM II on the camera? The salesperson said the lens with the adapter will communicate fully with the camera. Does that mean I'll have IS? Will I be at 2.8?  Will there be vynyetting or distortion that I can't fix in LR or PS?
  13. Looking to buy within 2 weeks?

Thank you.

Canon 1DXMKII. And Canon f/2.8 70-200 IS USM II - Canon Digital Photo Professional and Lightroom.

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +23 more
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,759
Re: GFX 100 Questions

get a hold of forum member Benjamin Kanareker

he shoots for ELLE and Vogue

he is very experienced in runway shots with  the Fuji MF

tvstaff
OP tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,520

TRIODEROB wrote:

get a hold of forum member Benjamin Kanareker

he shoots for ELLE and Vogue

he is very experienced in runway shots with the Fuji MF

Thank you.  Kind of you.  Best regards.

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +23 more
kristian1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,529

As much as I like Fuji MF , it just isn't great for all, will try to give some answers.

tvstaff wrote:

1. Want the camera for fashion to include "runway"

"Run" and MF isn't the best combination. Focus tracking is there but you just can't compare it to other cameras , specially 1dx2.

1. For runway, models move and I need to use a telephoto I understand there is a Fuji 100-200 at 5.6. Would I be better off with an adapter and using a Canon 2.8 70-200?

No, I tried to adopt the Canon lenses on GFX and while it works it just isn't good enough specially servo mode , GFX + Canon lens is worst case for tracking.

1. or can I push ISO to 4000 without noise? And stick with the Fuji 100-200

You can push higher iso , but at the end you will end with even more noise with GFX 100-200 f5.6 compared to Canon 70-200mm f2.8 on 1dx2.(at same resolution)

1. With 14 stops of DR, will shadow and highlight recovery be equal to or better than something like a Canon 1DXMKII?

Shadow recovery is great on GFX , but compared to 1dx2 it will be similar. (at same resolution)

1. Will I really get 5fps?

You will but servo mode isn't great , specially not compared to 1dx2. (I own both of them and use them)

1. Will the camera focus on a walking model in a spinning dress?

I didn't try that specific case , but I quess it will depent on light, contrast, speed ..

My guess is it will but it will be hit and miss.

There is one thing to get "all the pixels" from GFX all must be perfect , focus , no motion blur, and with moving people it becomes more difficult.

1. Will I need a leaf shutter for studio work? Srtobes?

For studio work it is perfect choice , there is no leaf shutter lenses from Fuji, but there is HSS that works great , I tested Godox strobes and it works great.

1. What lenses should I look at first to realize the true capacity of the camera?

All Fuji lenses are great, the choice should be what you need the most.

1. From a workflow perspective will Photoshop and Lightroom suffice?

I use them without any issue.

1. I understand that adaperters for EF Canon Lense are possible per the salesperson at B&H. A. What will be the biggest sacrifice?

It works just in real life it is best on static objects, and also there will be vignetting on some lenses more and on some less , with some you need to crop quite a bit as non of Canon lenses is designed for larger sensor (except Canon TSE lenses which cover the 4x3 sensor)

1. What could I expect placing a f2.8 300mm IS USM II on the camera? The salesperson said the lens with the adapter will communicate fully with the camera. Does that mean I'll have IS? Will I be at 2.8? Will there be vynyetting or distortion that I can't fix in LR or PS?

Just don't buy 300mm f2.8 to put it on Fuji , with my adapter IS doesn't work (TechArt) maybe with some other it my work , but I can't imagine that servo would be useful with any adapter (since even Fuji lenses doesn't work great)

1. Looking to buy within 2 weeks?

Best first to try and see by yourself.

Thank you.

Canon 1DXMKII. And Canon f/2.8 70-200 IS USM II - Canon Digital Photo Professional and Lightroom.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best

Kristian

kristian1's gear list:kristian1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Fujifilm GFX 100 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art +5 more
Suteetat Forum Member • Posts: 86

I  also have GFX100 and as much as I like it, it would not be my preferred choice for runway for sure.

It is excellent for portrait work when the model does not walk or move very much.

It has eye/face detection but it is not in the same league as Sony A7r iv or Nikon Z7 for that matter.

In low light, it will hunt more than both A7r iv and Z7 as well.

So its AF won't be anywhere near what 1DX ii can do.

I think if you consider it for this type of work, you better burrow/rent or at least try it in store first. While its AF is quite an improvement over  GFX50s, it is not really comparable to top of the line high resolution FF mirrorless , let alone pro DSLR.

succisa75 New Member • Posts: 10

tvstaff wrote:

1. Want the camera for fashion to include "runway"
  2. For runway, models move and I need to use a telephoto I understand there is a Fuji 100-200 at 5.6. Would I be better off with an adapter and using a Canon 2.8 70-200?
  3. or can I push ISO to 4000 without noise? And stick with the Fuji 100-200
  4. With 14 stops of DR, will shadow and highlight recovery be equal to or better than something like a Canon 1DXMKII?
  5. Will I really get 5fps?
  6. Will the camera focus on a walking model in a spinning dress?
  7. Will I need a leaf shutter for studio work? Srtobes?
  8. What lenses should I look at first to realize the true capacity of the camera?
  9. From a workflow perspective will Photoshop and Lightroom suffice?
  10. I understand that adaperters for EF Canon Lenses
  11. are possible per the salesperson at B&H. A. What will be the biggest sacrifice?
  12. What could I expect placing a f2.8 300mm IS USM II on the camera? The salesperson said the lens with the adapter will communicate fully with the camera. Does that mean I'll have IS? Will I be at 2.8? Will there be vynyetting or distortion that I can't fix in LR or PS?
  13. Looking to buy within 2 weeks?

Thank you.

Hi,

I've been testing the GFX100 for the past few weeks and here are some answers I have found along the way that might help you.

1. For action like this it is definitely doable, but you will need to be more selective on your shots as opposed to a 1DX where you have more flexibility and higher frames per second. Also for storage,  uncompressed Raw files are over 200mb per image so you don't want to spray and pray.  The GFX100 AF is quite good, comparable to many top class full frame camera systems out there.

2. 100-200 should be fine unless you are positioned far from the runway. otherwise the 250 is a good option and its a f4.

3. Due to the bright lights on the runway you might not have to push the camera to 4000 ISO. if you do images still look good. You wont get the crazy detail you would on on ISO 100 but should be sharper than that out the 1DX.

4. Dynamic range is much better than the 1DX. One of the benefits of Medium Format.

5. Yes but not at full 16bit from what I understand.

6. Yes you can but I find AF-C to not be as reliable as AF-S. I was shooting some guys playing basketball and found my hit rate much higher with AF-S. Also you can set tracking speeds like the 1DX inside the camera for better response and also boost AF

7.I haven't used the GFX100 in the studio

8. 110 f2 is a dream lens, Great for portraiture and blowing out the background when you need to.  Ver sharp lens. The 100-200 is quite versatile but the f5.6 aperture is a bit limiting in lower light situations However the IS is very good. The new 50 is also really good, lightweight and sharp.

9. Yes you can use PS and LR but to see the full potential of the files, Capture One is preferred.

Overall the GFX100 is a different camera than the 50S and R.  You can take this camera out into situations you couldn't do with medium forma in the past.  It takes using it to fully understand the potential of it.  BTW I'm not paid by Fujufilm or even own a FujiFilm Camera.  I just call it like I see it.

Hope this helps!

Greg7579
Greg7579 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,396

People won't  believe I said this but you should probably maybe keep using your big Canon DSLR rig and L lenses for runway.  Ben uses MF on his amazing set-piece fashion art.  Not sure he is chasing models on a runway with MF.

But that said, you need to get a GFX 100 and those great GF lenses in order to renew your passion for shooting outside of pure work and to keep you healthy in mind, body and spirit.

Just get it and figure it all out later.  Besides, why sell your old L lineup like I did two years ago now?  You'd have to practically  give it away and you still need it for work.  Use both.  Try it.  Think how cool you will be in the pit with all those Canon and Nikon DSLR pros snarling at each other.

Besides, you are over the edge already.  I can always tell.

That shot you posted was awesome.  I luv supermodels now almost as much as when I was a boy looking at my Mother's Vogue wondering if girls really were that amazing.  I found out later that they are.....

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-H1 +16 more
Greg7579

I agree with almost everything you said except the C1 bit.  How does Adobe not realize the  full potential of the raw file?  Fuji MF is not X-Trans.....

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-H1 +16 more
panther fan Regular Member • Posts: 380

4. Dynamic range is much better than the 1DX. One of the benefits of Medium Format.

Just one small correction. That is not true at high ISO. The Canon is actually better at high ISO than the GFX100 especially if you consider the lenses

The 1DX II with a 70-200 F2.8 at ISO 3200 has great DR

If you want to replicate that with the GFX 100 and the 100-200 F5.6 you would need ISO 12800 significantly limiting your DR

panther fan wrote:

Just one small correction. That is not true at high ISO. The Canon is actually better at high ISO than the GFX100 especially if you consider the lenses

The 1DX II with a 70-200 F2.8 at ISO 3200 has great DR

If you want to replicate that with the GFX 100 and the 100-200 F5.6 you would need ISO 12800 significantly limiting your DR

While the 1DX has better ISO performance, I disagree on the DR portion.  Ive used both and the GFX100 DR is far superior to the 1DX.  16 bit Raw files are going to perform better.  Thats not saying the 1DX is bad but I've played with with both files and the GFX wins in this department.

Speaking of ISO, THE GFX100 ISO performance is not bad at all considering the format.

Greg7579 wrote:

I agree with almost everything you said except the C1 bit. How does Adobe not realize the full potential of the raw file? Fuji MF is not X-Trans.....

Thanks. What I mean by that is C1 renders the RAW image better than Adobe does.  Its not that Adobe does a bad job, but C1 handles the nuances better.  I noticed this when testing the GFX files on both platforms.  I personally like LR better for its convenience and mobile platforms but for the GFX files I render the RAW images in C1 and bring the TIFF files into LR to do more of the final touches.

Greg7579

succisa75 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

I agree with almost everything you said except the C1 bit. How does Adobe not realize the full potential of the raw file? Fuji MF is not X-Trans.....

Thanks. What I mean by that is C1 renders the RAW image better than Adobe does. Its not that Adobe does a bad job, but C1 handles the nuances better. I noticed this when testing the GFX files on both platforms. I personally like LR better for its convenience and mobile platforms but for the GFX files I render the RAW images in C1 and bring the TIFF files into LR to do more of the final touches.

Well, I can't dispute that since I have never tried anything but LR in all these years.

If you have compared both in your own work and that is what you see then I believe you because you have and use LR and aren't one of those guys on the Fuji Board who go on these endless anti-Adobe crusades.  You argue with those guys and it can get you in trouble with the mods over there.  Believe me - I know.

I can't believe I used to fight with those guys and it got me in trouble with the Mods.  I mean some of their Adobe statements over there are just really incredible.

But I'm a kinder-gentler soul these days and I just don't care if some dude doesn't like Adobe and rants mindlessly against Adobe on the Fuji Board.

I just wish we had all been smart enough to buy Adobe stock two years ago.  They are killing it with the subscription model, which I happen to like very much.  That is the best 12 bucks I spend every month.

-- hide signature --

Greg7579 wrote:

succisa75 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Thanks. What I mean by that is C1 renders the RAW image better than Adobe does. Its not that Adobe does a bad job, but C1 handles the nuances better. I noticed this when testing the GFX files on both platforms. I personally like LR better for its convenience and mobile platforms but for the GFX files I render the RAW images in C1 and bring the TIFF files into LR to do more of the final touches.

Well, I can't dispute that since I have never tried anything but LR in all these years.

If you have compared both in your own work and that is what you see then I believe you because you have and use LR and aren't one of those guys on the Fuji Board who go on these endless anti-Adobe crusades. You argue with those guys and it can get you in trouble with the mods over there. Believe me - I know.

I can't believe I used to fight with those guys and it got me in trouble with the Mods. I mean some of their Adobe statements over there are just really incredible.

But I'm a kinder-gentler soul these days and I just don't care if some dude doesn't like Adobe and rants mindlessly against Adobe on the Fuji Board.

I just wish we had all been smart enough to buy Adobe stock two years ago. They are killing it with the subscription model, which I happen to like very much. That is the best 12 bucks I spend every month.

Im a big fan of LR and Adobe products especially with the mobile applications (waiting for the improved iPad Photoshop app though 😊)  but C1 does a good job.

I’ve never understood the anger some get over cameras and software. Unless someone’s life is determined by good and bad reviews on a product we should all embrace what great options are out there for all of us to use.

Greg7579

succisa75 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

succisa75 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

If you have compared both in your own work and that is what you see then I believe you because you have and use LR and aren't one of those guys on the Fuji Board who go on these endless anti-Adobe crusades. You argue with those guys and it can get you in trouble with the mods over there. Believe me - I know.

I can't believe I used to fight with those guys and it got me in trouble with the Mods. I mean some of their Adobe statements over there are just really incredible.

I just wish we had all been smart enough to buy Adobe stock two years ago. They are killing it with the subscription model, which I happen to like very much. That is the best 12 bucks I spend every month.

Im a big fan of LR and Adobe products especially with the mobile applications (waiting for the improved iPad Photoshop app though 😊) but C1 does a good job.

I’ve never understood the anger some get over cameras and software. Unless someone’s life is determined by good and bad reviews on a product we should all embrace what great options are out there for all of us to use.

That is a great philosophy to have. You are right.  I have preached that to myself the last few years.  But it is easier here on the MF Board.  It is a different type of shooter on here.  I still get my blood up sometimes when a guy is obviously just trolling or brand-bashing mindlessly, or making incredible statements about the various sensor sizes and types....  But best to let the Mods moderate.  They don't need me to be their policeman.

I'm in Laos!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads