D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,029
D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

So, I'm contemplating returning to a full grip (unibody) Nikon DSLR,...and the D4s / D5 bodies are on my list.  I'm basically starting to see a $1k between used D4s and D5 bodies.  So, this is getting interesting.

As a photog that relies a lot on "Wireless Capture",...the D4, D4s, and current D5 seem to have some internal parts of Nikon's 'Wireless Transmitter' hardware built into the bodies,...I mean, given the size of say, a WT-2, WT-4, and WT-7 wireless transmitters, it appears that some of the hardware's circuitry is built within the body and the WT-5 and WT-6 are basically "modules" needed to enable a more robust Wireless transmission experience for the D4/D4s/D5.

That said, it appears the D6's wireless transmitter hardware will definitely mimic that of the D4/D4s/D5 units.  That is, unless the WiFi protocol of the wireless transmitter "module" for the D6 takes on an 802.11ax WiFi protocol which will call for the D6 to require a new Wireless Transmitter module - WT-8.  This would make for crazy fast image transmission from camera to PC when coupled to an 802.11ax Router.  Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds!  Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

Surprisingly, the WT-5 is only compatiable to the D4/D4s and the WT-6 is only compatiable to the D5,..per Nikon.  So,, this leads me to belief there is a difference in the internal hardware associated with the Wireless Transmitter units of the D4/D4s vs D5.

If Nikon had designed the D6 to have High Speed internal wireless capture without requiring a separate transmitter module,...I'd gladly pay up to the $7,000.00 asking price.

-- hide signature --

JMD
...D850 / D500/  WT-7 x2!
......Nikon forever,...again!!
"...Don't be great at doing something first, Be first at doing something Great!

JMD-70's gear list:JMD-70's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D5 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,397
Re: D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

JMD-70 wrote:

Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds! Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

I use the D7200/D750 connected directly to a laptop using the build-in WiFi of the cameras and AirNef on the laptop to receive the image files.

I typically transfer small jpegs for my clients to see while the RAW files remain on the card. But I tried some NEFs just now and i clocked a 24.3MB file transferred in 10.3 seconds from a distance of about 5 meters, or 2.36 MB/s. Your transmitter transfers a 20MB(?) file in 6 seconds or 3.33 MB/s. Not really impressed by the speed boost of the $1000 transmitter. That said, if you need it you need it.

-- hide signature --

Philip

SushiEater
SushiEater Forum Pro • Posts: 10,508

JMD-70 wrote:

So, I'm contemplating returning to a full grip (unibody) Nikon DSLR,...and the D4s / D5 bodies are on my list. I'm basically starting to see a $1k between used D4s and D5 bodies. So, this is getting interesting.

As a photog that relies a lot on "Wireless Capture",...the D4, D4s, and current D5 seem to have some internal parts of Nikon's 'Wireless Transmitter' hardware built into the bodies,...I mean, given the size of say, a WT-2, WT-4, and WT-7 wireless transmitters, it appears that some of the hardware's circuitry is built within the body and the WT-5 and WT-6 are basically "modules" needed to enable a more robust Wireless transmission experience for the D4/D4s/D5.

That said, it appears the D6's wireless transmitter hardware will definitely mimic that of the D4/D4s/D5 units. That is, unless the WiFi protocol of the wireless transmitter "module" for the D6 takes on an 802.11ax WiFi protocol which will call for the D6 to require a new Wireless Transmitter module - WT-8. This would make for crazy fast image transmission from camera to PC when coupled to an 802.11ax Router. Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds! Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

Surprisingly, the WT-5 is only compatiable to the D4/D4s and the WT-6 is only compatiable to the D5,..per Nikon. So,, this leads me to belief there is a difference in the internal hardware associated with the Wireless Transmitter units of the D4/D4s vs D5.

If Nikon had designed the D6 to have High Speed internal wireless capture without requiring a separate transmitter module,...I'd gladly pay up to the $7,000.00 asking price.

What is all of this has to do with the title?

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
SushiEater

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds! Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

I use the D7200/D750 connected directly to a laptop using the build-in WiFi of the cameras and AirNef on the laptop to receive the image files.

I typically transfer small jpegs for my clients to see while the RAW files remain on the card. But I tried some NEFs just now and i clocked a 24.3MB file transferred in 10.3 seconds from a distance of about 5 meters, or 2.36 MB/s. Your transmitter transfers a 20MB(?) file in 6 seconds or 3.33 MB/s. Not really impressed by the speed boost of the $1000 transmitter. That said, if you need it you need it.

Read this:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60027470

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
OP JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,029

SushiEater wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Read this:

Thank you,...however, I'm very much aware of other DSLR wireless capture work-arounds, but those aren't as robust as the dedicated Nikon WT-** transmitters.  Plus, having to deal with the extra cables (USB/Ethernet),...this piece,...that piece,..charging for this item,...velcro this to that, etc.  I'd much rather have a Nikon Wireless Transmitter,...of which, I have since the D2X (WT-2),...D700/D3/D3s (WT-4), and D500/D850 (WT-7).

Also, I tried AirNEF,..and while it works,...it has no hold time,...you have to re-engage the process once all images have been transmitted,..at least that how it worked for me.  In addition,...the camera creates a "WiFi AP",..which means, if you only have one Wireless adapters on your PC,...you won't have internet access while connected to the camera!  Plus,...and this is major!  The transmit distance is very short using AirNEF and the camera's WiFi,...and also EyeFi Cards.  The Nikon units have no problem transmitting an image from camera to PC while inside a Large Ballroom,...and amongst the hundreds of Cellphones in the area.

But thank you all-the-same!

-- hide signature --

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850

SushiEater wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

So, I'm contemplating returning to a full grip (unibody) Nikon DSLR,...and the D4s / D5 bodies are on my list. I'm basically starting to see a $1k between used D4s and D5 bodies. So, this is getting interesting.

That said, it appears the D6's wireless transmitter hardware will definitely mimic that of the D4/D4s/D5 units. That is, unless the WiFi protocol of the wireless transmitter "module" for the D6 takes on an 802.11ax WiFi protocol which will call for the D6 to require a new Wireless Transmitter module - WT-8. This would make for crazy fast image transmission from camera to PC when coupled to an 802.11ax Router. Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds! Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

Surprisingly, the WT-5 is only compatiable to the D4/D4s and the WT-6 is only compatiable to the D5,..per Nikon. So,, this leads me to belief there is a difference in the internal hardware associated with the Wireless Transmitter units of the D4/D4s vs D5.

Good point!  Well, the price of the D4s is well within the 'pick one up' now range!  And the price of the D5 is fast approaching the 'go ahead and invest in one' price range!  The wireless transmitters for those units are wayyyy smaller than any previous wireless transmitters Nikon has ever released.  So, although the D4s / D5 bodies are larger than the D500 and D850,...when one adds a Battery Grip,...as well as a WT-7 to the mix, the D4s with WT-5 and D5 with WT-6 combos weigh far less than a D500/D850 with BG and WT-7.

So, I'm contemplating returning to a full size Nikon DSLR (D4s / D5 / or...even a D6),...just for a more compact and lighter setup!  Plus,..no matter how good a Camera/Battery Grip is,...there will always be some 'flexing" between the camera and grip over a D4/D4s/D5/D6 body!  That's a given...

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850

JMD-70 wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Read this:

Thank you,...however, I'm very much aware of other DSLR wireless capture work-arounds, but those aren't as robust as the dedicated Nikon WT-** transmitters. Plus, having to deal with the extra cables (USB/Ethernet),...this piece,...that piece,..charging for this item,...velcro this to that, etc. I'd much rather have a Nikon Wireless Transmitter,...of which, I have since the D2X (WT-2),...D700/D3/D3s (WT-4), and D500/D850 (WT-7).

Also, I tried AirNEF,..and while it works,...it has no hold time,...you have to re-engage the process once all images have been transmitted,..at least that how it worked for me.

Not at all. If I start the WiFi on the camera it automatically connects to the laptop and keeps transferring new images until the battery is depleted, usually after four hours.

In addition,...the camera creates a "WiFi AP",..which means, if you only have one Wireless adapters on your PC,...you won't have internet access while connected to the camera!

Yes, if you want another WiFi connection you need an additional USB WiFi stick in the laptop.

Plus,...and this is major! The transmit distance is very short using AirNEF and the camera's WiFi,...and also EyeFi Cards. The Nikon units have no problem transmitting an image from camera to PC while inside a Large Ballroom,...and amongst the hundreds of Cellphones in the area.

I use it more in office-like settings where I can transmit over something like 10 meters before it slows down.

If it works for you, just keep on going.

-- hide signature --

Philip

SushiEater wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Read this:

Yes well I just use internal parts so I do not have all the wires connected to the camera and worry about an additional battery. I only use EN-EL15's for the camera. Works for me.

-- hide signature --

Philip

SushiEater

JMD-70 wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Read this:

Thank you,...however, I'm very much aware of other DSLR wireless capture work-arounds, but those aren't as robust as the dedicated Nikon WT-** transmitters.

What makes you think so?

Plus, having to deal with the extra cables (USB/Ethernet),...this piece,...that piece,..charging for this item,...velcro this to that, etc. I'd much rather have a Nikon Wireless Transmitter,...of which, I have since the D2X (WT-2),...D700/D3/D3s (WT-4), and D500/D850 (WT-7).

My way is twice as fast as yours so dealing with few cables is not that big of the deal.

The thing is if you take hundreds of photos at 12fps your camera will continue to transmit even after you stopped shooting. I know this for a fact watching others even who shoot JPGs.

Not to mention I pocketed $600 at the same time.

Also, I tried AirNEF,..and while it works,...it has no hold time,...you have to re-engage the process once all images have been transmitted,..at least that how it worked for me. In addition,...the camera creates a "WiFi AP",..which means, if you only have one Wireless adapters on your PC,...you won't have internet access while connected to the camera! Plus,...and this is major! The transmit distance is very short using AirNEF and the camera's WiFi,...and also EyeFi Cards. The Nikon units have no problem transmitting an image from camera to PC while inside a Large Ballroom,...and amongst the hundreds of Cellphones in the area.

I have done the same at the convention with hundreds of cell phones (thus 902ac not the previous version) without a problem. That is exactly why I chose this system in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

I typically transfer small jpegs for my clients to see while the RAW files remain on the card. But I tried some NEFs just now and i clocked a 24.3MB file transferred in 10.3 seconds from a distance of about 5 meters, or 2.36 MB/s. Your transmitter transfers a 20MB(?) file in 6 seconds or 3.33 MB/s.

Not really impressed by the speed boost of the $1000 transmitter. That said, if you need it you need it.

Hmm, who says I paid $1,000.00.  I bought one new via B&H ($773) more than 2 years ago!,....not including the $90 in rewards points!  The second one was purchased months later via Amazon for $593.00.  No problems with either unit!

Fyi,...I work events,...where I "sell" images to the public onsite!  These units allow me to show off the capabilities of my Nikon tools time and time again!  Folks still go "WoW" when an image of them is captured,..and appears on a large projector screen in the room!  Customers pay me quite well for this capability!

So,...even it it was $2000,...I'd still buy it!  Plus,...the added bonus of not having to pull a card,....insert in a card reader,...or be limited to the length of a USB cable is crazy awesome!

-- hide signature --

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
SushiEater

JMD-70 wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Good point! Well, the price of the D4s is well within the 'pick one up' now range! And the price of the D5 is fast approaching the 'go ahead and invest in one' price range! The wireless transmitters for those units are wayyyy smaller than any previous wireless transmitters Nikon has ever released. So, although the D4s / D5 bodies are larger than the D500 and D850,...when one adds a Battery Grip,...as well as a WT-7 to the mix, the D4s with WT-5 and D5 with WT-6 combos weigh far less than a D500/D850 with BG and WT-7.

I have a problem with these small WiFi WT-6-5. First of all I have seen them (also on Canon cameras with their adapters) knocked off camera by another camera or even a knee. With my setup all I have is a flex cable attached to the Ethernet port. The rest of the components are either on my belt or even in my pocket safe so no worries about the weight. Since I use 10000Mah battery it last a lot longer than any build in battery and it doesn't rob power from the camera battery. And since I am shooting with D5 WT-7 is no good for me. Plus, for the price I bought another 902ac so if something goes wrong I can switch to another in a minute. Plus I bought the second D5 so if I need to I can shoot with two cameras and two transmitters since I also have that $15 dongle.

So, I'm contemplating returning to a full size Nikon DSLR (D4s / D5 / or...even a D6),...just for a more compact and lighter setup! Plus,..no matter how good a Camera/Battery Grip is,...there will always be some 'flexing" between the camera and grip over a D4/D4s/D5/D6 body! That's a given...

But is it a problem? I have D500, D810 gripped without any problems.

-- hide signature --

Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,539

I have spent a LOT of time working on real professional robust wireless transmission.   It started as a personal challenge and now I also have one of my jobs in real-time transmission of car images at NASCAR tracks from outside the track in.

there is really not enough power for the camera itself to do this.

please ask me questions if you really want to know what this takes

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +20 more
Terrible Photographer
Terrible Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 487
What about the new Tethertools Air Direct?

My studiomate just picked one up and on a Z6 in RAW, it takes about 4 seconds to transfer into Capture One over a 5GHz network.

Not bad if you ask me for WiFi. Now if you’re motor driving it, hardline it or write to card..

Terrible Photographer's gear list:Terrible Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
schultz Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: What about the new Tethertools Air Direct?

the wt5 will work on the D5,I use it on mine with no problems, it's a bit slower transfering than the WT6.

schultz's gear list:schultz's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +1 more
Re: What about the new Tethertools Air Direct?

schultz wrote:

the wt5 will work on the D5,I use it on mine with no problems, it's a bit slower transfering than the WT6.

Ok,...cool.  This is good to know!  So...perhaps the WT-6 works on the D4s????,.....and of course would be way faster,...with smaller files, etc.

-- hide signature --

JMD

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,129

JMD-70 wrote:

You can get a D5 for around $3,000...perhaps even less.  I would say $3,800 is mid to upper end.  I've been watching for months.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads