New Edge ad blocker?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
New Edge ad blocker?

Anybody have a recommendation for a good ad blocker for the new Chrome based Edge browser? The new Edge is a lot faster (and cleaner looking) than Firefox, but some sites are burying me with ads.

I use Ublock Origin with Firefox.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +1 more
ajscullard Contributing Member • Posts: 968
Re: New Edge ad blocker?

Adblock works fine with the new Edge

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,366

gscotten wrote:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good ad blocker for the new Chrome based Edge browser?

AdGuard

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,553
Ghostery works well

I selected it blindly with no testing on my part, but no complaints so far.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +13 more
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

gscotten wrote:

I'm not yet running Edge Chromium so I'm just curious, are you not finding uBlock Origin listed in Edge Addons? The official Github page for uBlock Origin states that there is (was?) a stable version of uBO for Chromium Edge available when the browser was available through insider releases.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#microsoft-edge

gscotten
OP gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,761

Billiam29 wrote:

gscotten wrote:

I'm not yet running Edge Chromium so I'm just curious, are you not finding uBlock Origin listed in Edge Addons? The official Github page for uBlock Origin states that there is (was?) a stable version of uBO for Chromium Edge available when the browser was available through insider releases.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#microsoft-edge

Yes, there is a version of uBlock for the new Edge, along with a dozen others. I was hoping to find a consensus as to which was favored by the experts here before installing one. I have only used uBlock in the past and do not consider myself very informed on this topic.

-- hide signature --

George

Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +1 more
drynn Contributing Member • Posts: 512

+1 for Adblock Plus

It's free and blocked eight ads from this site as soon as I loaded the forum index page. That became nine when I loaded the page to write this reply.

It also makes YouTube so much better without all the pesky pop-up ads - that was seven on just loading the YouTube home page.

The Adblock icon is unobtrusive and sits next to the Favorites icon.

gscotten
OP gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,761

Thanks, everybody! Not seeing any overwhelming consensus I guess I will just try one of the recommendations at a time.

-- hide signature --

George

afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

Patco wrote:

gscotten wrote:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good ad blocker for the new Chrome based Edge browser?

AdGuard

+1 Browser and device agnostic. Love it.

That said, any Chrome adblocker works just fine.

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800/Fuji X-T1

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,376

gscotten wrote:

Thanks, everybody! Not seeing any overAdBlocker Ultimatewhelming consensus I guess I will just try one of the recommendations at a time.

With Firefox, Adblock Plus (ABP) has 9 million users, uBlock Origin (UO) has 5.3 million, Adblock (hand) has almost 2 million, and AdBlocker Ultimate (padlock) has 3/4 million. All are rated 4.5 stars. AdBlocker Ultimate and uBlock Origin are "recommended" along with Facebook Container and Ghostery.

I have no idea if any of these are similar in Chromium browsers. Nor is popularity necessarily a good measure of effectiveness.

DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,546

Since installing the Ghostery app from Firefox I have had no troublesome adds.  Not a long trial to date but it's free and delete-able.

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads