Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

I'm trying to decide on a Nikon body and lens for indoor swimming events and outdoor baseball games. I will also use it for everything else! The indoor swim venues are quite dark, so I need at least a 2.8 lens. I also will use this camera for portraits and everything else.

My current camera is the original Canon Rebel, so I'm too ready to upgrade.

I was going back and forth from FX to DX for a while. I think DX would suit me the best, but it seems that lenses are more limited.

I'd prefer just one lens for all, but understand that 2 might be best. My budget is low and I'm looking for used equipment, probably up to $700 total. If less, I wouldn't mind. Yeah, that's low, I know. I've been leaning towards a D5300. The Nikon DX's get really great reviews, so I am ready to switch from Canon... I think.

Any suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated.

Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PatAzo Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Would you be leaving any good Canon mount lenses behind when you jump to Nikon?  Canon has a good product and if you have a good lens already I'd consider sticking with Canon.  But if you jump over to Nikon check the lens compatibility with the D5300.  I don't believe it will auto focus with lenses that lack an on board focus motor like the 80-200.  The 80-200 is an older lens but shooting sports you'll need to reach out a bit and it's one of the f2.8 lenses that will be in your price range.

A quick look at mpb.com a 80-200mm f2.8 one touch in excellent condition is $284.00.  It's an older lens, lacks VR etc etc but for a guy with a $700 budget and still needing a body it's not a bad choice.  I have one and have shot basket ball games with it mated to a D7000.  I'd liked to have had something a bit longer.

Body wise you could match it up with a D7000 (excellent condition $229.00) or D7100 (like new $429.00)

You'll get some diverse opinions.  I'd take the adivse you get, patrol the reputable used dealers like mpb.com, keh.com, read reviews and choose what works for you.

 PatAzo's gear list:PatAzo's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Have you though about a Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 (I know they are about $700 AU used give or take) and add to this something like D5*** or even D7100/7200 may be slightly over the price range, but the 50-100mm is a stellar lens.....

And even at 1.8 its sharp, I barely take it off my D7200

 Timotis77's gear list:Timotis77's gear list
Pentax 645Z Nikon D810 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-70 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +13 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,037
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

PatAzo wrote:

But if you jump over to Nikon check the lens compatibility with the D5300. I don't believe it will auto focus with lenses that lack an on board focus motor like the 80-200.

The D3xxx and D5xxx lines lack an in-body focus motor, so they need AF-S lenses (or in some cases AF-P lenses) or third-party equivalents if you want the camera to adjust the focus.

Compatibility with AF-P lenses varies.  See Nikon's site for detgails.

idtx2 Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

My kids are high school swimmers. My current rig is a D7500 with a Tamron 70-200 2.8 G1. If willing to purchase refurbished or used I think you could get this combo for about 1k USD which is higher than your budget but well worth it if you can stretch it a little.

My prior rig was a D7100 and 80-200.

Buffer, fps, and high ISO performance on the D7500 are much better and makes capturing the "right" moment so much easier. The RAW buffer on the D7100 is tiny so you will probably be using Jpeg for sports. Might or might not be OK for you.

My copy of the 80-200 required considerable AF fine tune to produce sharp images. (Not uncommon and worth researching before you buy this lens). I believe fine tune is not available in the 3xxx and 5xxx bodies. No VR so keep the shutter speed higher for your non-sports shots to get crisp images. Wish I had kept my copy.

With a hard $700 budget I'd get a d7200 80-200 combo and start making great pictures.

OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

I have a Canon 18-55mm AF-S lens that came with my Rebel. It's in great shape, but I don't know really how good it is.

I don't quite understand how the DX and FX lens mounts work for Nikon. I thought that you cannot use an FX lens on a DX body. Is this correct?

So the D5000 series bodies do not have an AF motor, therefore the lens has to be AF for say, fast sports shoots. Is this correct?

OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more
1

Timotis77 wrote:

Have you though about a Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 (I know they are about $700 AU used give or take) and add to this something like D5*** or even D7100/7200 may be slightly over the price range, but the 50-100mm is a stellar lens.....

And even at 1.8 its sharp, I barely take it off my D7200

I'm afraid this lens is above my price range, but I'll keep it on my list.

I can get an Excellent condition D5300 for around $275. I need to find a lens for around $400 give or take.

What are the advantages of the D7000 series over the D5000 series? I looked at head to head comparisons of a D5300 and a D7000. The D5300 gets higher scores. I guess the D7500 is more advanced, but it's out of my range.

OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

idtx2 wrote:

My kids are high school swimmers. My current rig is a D7500 with a Tamron 70-200 2.8 G1. If willing to purchase refurbished or used I think you could get this combo for about 1k USD which is higher than your budget but well worth it if you can stretch it a little.

My prior rig was a D7100 and 80-200.

Buffer, fps, and high ISO performance on the D7500 are much better and makes capturing the "right" moment so much easier. The RAW buffer on the D7100 is tiny so you will probably be using Jpeg for sports. Might or might not be OK for you.

My copy of the 80-200 required considerable AF fine tune to produce sharp images. (Not uncommon and worth researching before you buy this lens). I believe fine tune is not available in the 3xxx and 5xxx bodies. No VR so keep the shutter speed higher for your non-sports shots to get crisp images. Wish I had kept my copy.

With a hard $700 budget I'd get a d7200 80-200 combo and start making great pictures.

I tried out a Canon 85mm f/1.8 at a High school swim meet the other day. I used my old Rebel, which is slow and only goes to ISO1600. I had to adjust, and I mean a lot of adjustments, every usable shot on photoshop.

I'll add the D7200 with an 80-200mm to my list. Are there any other companies to look consider for f/2.8 zooms?

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,037
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Cooper21 wrote:

I have a Canon 18-55mm AF-S lens that came with my Rebel. It's in great shape, but I don't know really how good it is.

I don't quite understand how the DX and FX lens mounts work for Nikon. I thought that you cannot use an FX lens on a DX body. Is this correct?

A FX lens projects a "good" image large enough to cover a full-frame (FX) sensor.  You can use FX lenses on either type of body.

A DX lens only has to project a "good" image large enough to cover an APS-C (DX) sensor.  DX lenses are meant for DX bodies.

You can use a DX lens on a FX body, but this is not ideal.  EIther you put the camera into DX Crop Mode, or you risk getting garbage on all four sides of your photo.  Still, if you were upgrading from a DX body to a FX one, this might let you get some more use out of your existing collection of lenses.

In the Canon world, crop-sensor lenses can protrude so far into a body that they might cause damage if mounted on full-frame bodies.  So crop-sensor lenses will not mount on full-frame bodies.

So the D5000 series bodies do not have an AF motor, therefore the lens has to be AF for say, fast sports shoots. Is this correct?

Yes, the lens needs its own motor.  Note that in Nikon terminology,

  • AF means that the lens supports auto-focus, but does NOT have its own motor
  • AF-S and AF-P mean that the lens supports auto-focus, and has its own motor; AF-P may be better for video, but needs more checking for compatibiliity
PatAzo Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Cooper21 wrote:

What are the advantages of the D7000 series over the D5000 series? I looked at head to head comparisons of a D5300 and a D7000. The D5300 gets higher scores. I guess the D7500 is more advanced, but it's out of my range.

A single score can be deceiving.  CNET for example rates the D5300 higher than the D7100  I suspect based on the higher ISO capability, a positive for indoor sports events.  In most other areas I'd call the D7200 superior.  What the D7*** brings to you is focus motor on the body that would let you take advantage of a lens like the 80-200 f2.8.  The 80-200 does not have an integral focus motor and depends on the body.

In looking at either system you should look at the lens and then back to the body.  The f2.8 along with your budget limits the field.  The 80-200 is a couple generations behind and as many people moved to the 70-200 and then to the 70-200VR the price on 80-200 has dropped making it a good choice for a budget conciuous buyer.  It's older and heavy but can produce good images.

What do you dislike about the Rebel you are wanting to improve?  You have a 17-55mm which would be useful.  Group shots of the kids and closer things.  I'm guessing a longer lens for the events themselves.  I'm not familiar with the Canon line so no help with anything on that side.  But if you stuck with Canon you could end up with a wider range of lenses.

 PatAzo's gear list:PatAzo's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

PatAzo wrote:

Cooper21 wrote:

What are the advantages of the D7000 series over the D5000 series? I looked at head to head comparisons of a D5300 and a D7000. The D5300 gets higher scores. I guess the D7500 is more advanced, but it's out of my range.

A single score can be deceiving. CNET for example rates the D5300 higher than the D7100 I suspect based on the higher ISO capability, a positive for indoor sports events. In most other areas I'd call the D7200 superior. What the D7*** brings to you is focus motor on the body that would let you take advantage of a lens like the 80-200 f2.8. The 80-200 does not have an integral focus motor and depends on the body.

In looking at either system you should look at the lens and then back to the body. The f2.8 along with your budget limits the field. The 80-200 is a couple generations behind and as many people moved to the 70-200 and then to the 70-200VR the price on 80-200 has dropped making it a good choice for a budget conciuous buyer. It's older and heavy but can produce good images.

What do you dislike about the Rebel you are wanting to improve? You have a 17-55mm which would be useful. Group shots of the kids and closer things. I'm guessing a longer lens for the events themselves. I'm not familiar with the Canon line so no help with anything on that side. But if you stuck with Canon you could end up with a wider range of lenses.

My Rebel is the original digital Rebel... 6.2 MP and seems very slow. it has a 2.5 continuous shoot. From 2003. So I want to upgrade.

I'm also now looking at used Canon bodies for the reasons you stated.

I have read quite a few posts here about the newer D5000 series. Many like them better than anything else. The weight, sharp images, and ease of use I think. I know it does limit the lens selection though.

I'll read more about the D7100 and D7200 and search for used to check price and availability.

Timotis77
Timotis77 Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Cooper21 wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

Have you though about a Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 (I know they are about $700 AU used give or take) and add to this something like D5*** or even D7100/7200 may be slightly over the price range, but the 50-100mm is a stellar lens.....

And even at 1.8 its sharp, I barely take it off my D7200

I'm afraid this lens is above my price range, but I'll keep it on my list.

I can get an Excellent condition D5300 for around $275. I need to find a lens for around $400 give or take.

What are the advantages of the D7000 series over the D5000 series? I looked at head to head comparisons of a D5300 and a D7000. The D5300 gets higher scores. I guess the D7500 is more advanced, but it's out of my range.

Its a pricey lens for sure, but It does come up here and there cheaper second hand. Some are put off by the weight and the fact that they can buy a 70-200 2.8 for the same price if not cheaper (and or 80-200 2.8). But let me tell you once you use the 50-100 1.8 you think how did I ever do without!

The D7000 vs D5300, I had a d7000 years ago, but now have the D7200 both the d7100 and d7200 are a big step up from d7000. A16mgp sensor on the d7000 vs 24mgp on the d7100/7200, better ISO performance, better and improved AF system. A lot more to like. Having never used the d5*** I can’t say, But the D5300 has the 24mpg sensor like the D7100/7200 so worth looking at for sure.

 Timotis77's gear list:Timotis77's gear list
Pentax 645Z Nikon D810 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-70 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +13 more
labalaba Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

there are many differences between D7000 series cameras and D5000 series cameras.  Particularly relevant is that only D7000 series have AF motors  built-in to focus the older AF lenses.  You would need this to use an older (=cheaper) 80-200 f2.8 AF lens.

Among other differences among D7000 series cameras, the D7100 has quite a small buffer, meaning it cannot shoot long bursts (unless you only shoot jpg images).  D7200 would really be better for sports/action.

Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,541
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

at minimum I'd do a used d7100 for 300-ish dollars and a used 70-200 from tamron or tokina for 500-ish

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

 Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +19 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 4,629
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Cooper21 wrote:

I'm trying to decide on a Nikon body and lens for indoor swimming events and outdoor baseball games. I will also use it for everything else! The indoor swim venues are quite dark, so I need at least a 2.8 lens. I also will use this camera for portraits and everything else.

My current camera is the original Canon Rebel, so I'm too ready to upgrade.

I was going back and forth from FX to DX for a while. I think DX would suit me the best, but it seems that lenses are more limited.

I'd prefer just one lens for all, but understand that 2 might be best. My budget is low and I'm looking for used equipment, probably up to $700 total. If less, I wouldn't mind. Yeah, that's low, I know. I've been leaning towards a D5300. The Nikon DX's get really great reviews, so I am ready to switch from Canon... I think.

Any suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated.

I would suggest the 70-300mm VR DX lens for outdoor use These are around £300 New.should be a similar price in Dollars, You should also be able to buy a used Sigma or Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for a similar price, for indoor use. You can get both these 2 lenses inside your budget limit.

If your total budget of $700 is for camera plus lens you could buy a used D7200 plus one of the Sigma or Tamron 70-300 f2.8 lenses for your budget.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Olympus E-PL8 Olympus E-M1 II +11 more
CharpMind
CharpMind Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

I mainly take pictures of my daughter at horse shows and just upgraded to d D7500 from a D5000. I found that the D5000 does wonderful in daytime and is ok indoors with good lighting, but did not do well with the night classes (under flourescent lighting) when I had to bump up the ISO to maintain shutter speed, even with a 2.8 lens. Maybe the later D5x models do a better job.

So far I am impressed with the image quality from the D7500 at higher ISO just from shots I've taken indoors. We don't have any horse shows until May and I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any action at night yet, but I'm optimistic based on the samples I've seen. I have rented a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 in the past and have had the best luck with that. I'm going to try the 18-140mm that came with the D7500 but I fully expect I'll be purchasing a 2.8 in the near future.

OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards a D7200.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses?

1.Nikon 18-140mm DX VR

2. Nikon 18-200mm VR

I don't really think I need a 70/80-200mm 2.8. I need more of an all around lens. I think these would work for outdoor sports and indoor swimming in the brighter sections of our pool.

If I need something else for indoor swimming, I can get an 85mm 1.8. I can always crop for closer compositions.

Any thoughts? Are these 2 zooms decent?

Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,541
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Cooper21 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards a D7200.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses?

1.Nikon 18-140mm DX VR

2. Nikon 18-200mm VR

Any thoughts? Are these 2 zooms decent?

Define "decent".  I don't like the images at all, soft and slow to focus, but then I do pro and stock photos.  I'd rather shoot some things well than many things mediocre.

I'd get a 70-200/4 or at least the 70-300 AFP DX

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

 Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +19 more
OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

Cooper21 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards a D7200.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses?

1.Nikon 18-140mm DX VR

2. Nikon 18-200mm VR

Any thoughts? Are these 2 zooms decent?

Define "decent". I don't like the images at all, soft and slow to focus, but then I do pro and stock photos. I'd rather shoot some things well than many things mediocre.

I'd get a 70-200/4 or at least the 70-300 AFP DX

How would a 70-200/4 do in lower light sports situations, like indoor swim events?

Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,541
Re: Help... Nikon DX and lens for indoor and outdoor sports and more

focus is fine, just have to crank up ISO, maybe use some de-noising software

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

 Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads