One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

Started Jan 19, 2020 | Polls
Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

holashobby wrote:

I am looking at either the 16-80 and the 18-135 as a possible one lens solution for travel and casual photography. In your opinion, which one of these lenses is preferable for cityscapes, streets and non-critical landscape style shooting? I am minded to go with the 18-135 due to its longer reach and larger aperture at the wide end. However, I wonder how the 16-80 compares? which is your preference as a possible one lens travel solution and why?

Thanks for your comments

For your needs, 18-135 will obviously provide the greatest latitude. Travel/casual is always unpredictable and as such, as broad a range as possible is desirable.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,606

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

Neither is a very good lens. You might be disappointed.

I will be a devil's advocate here: I am inclined to believe you will get better casual travel photos using a bridge camera like Sony RX10 and its variants. Weaker sensor but a much better lens with better reach...

What I am trying to say, is that you can trade sensor shortcomings for lens deficiencies. At least think about it.

Do you have first-hand experience of any of the lenses? I have used the 16-80mm for 2-3 months with very satisfying results.

No, I have no personal experience with the two lenses mentioned above. But there are many negative opinions of them available if you only care to look.

But I do have experience with the Zeiss lens of RX10 and it is stellar! In good light the lens is more important, in poor light it is the sensor that makes the difference.

As I said, at least think about it.

And yet there are other alternatives that don’t involve changing cameras or brands (16-55 for example). I don’t recall any complaints from the OP about the camera and I think your recommendation is unnecessarily extreme.

If you want a one zoom lens solution the rx10s are definitely worth looking at. I think it was a reasonable suggestion.

It might be for some, yet there remain very reasonable solutions to consider without recommending a change of body as well, which strikes me as a lot more expensive, less practical, and more of a last resort solution. It might make more sense if no viable option were available from Fuji, but there is.

Sony might be a reasonable alternative, but I don’t recall the OP suggesting a change of system either. JMHO.

You don’t have to get rid of the fuji gear. A brand new RX10 mk2 is $998 vs the 16-80 at $799.

It’s not simply the cost, but also having to deal with multiple systems. A fine solution for some, and an unwieldy one for others.  If it works for the OP, great. Were it me, I’d much prefer a Fuji solution first before taking on another body.  Strictly my view here.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
ken224 Regular Member • Posts: 400

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

I will be a devil's advocate here: I am inclined to believe you will get better casual travel photos using a bridge camera like Sony RX10 and its variants. Weaker sensor but a much better lens with better reach...

What I am trying to say, is that you can trade sensor shortcomings for lens deficiencies. At least think about it.

Do you have first-hand experience of any of the lenses? I have used the 16-80mm for 2-3 months with very satisfying results.

No, I have no personal experience with the two lenses mentioned above. But there are many negative opinions of them available if you only care to look.

But I do have experience with the Zeiss lens of RX10 and it is stellar! In good light the lens is more important, in poor light it is the sensor that makes the difference.

And yet there are other alternatives that don’t involve changing cameras or brands (16-55 for example). I don’t recall any complaints from the OP about the camera and I think your recommendation is unnecessarily extreme.

If you want a one zoom lens solution the rx10s are definitely worth looking at. I think it was a reasonable suggestion.

It might be for some, yet there remain very reasonable solutions to consider without recommending a change of body as well, which strikes me as a lot more expensive, less practical, and more of a last resort solution. It might make more sense if no viable option were available from Fuji, but there is.

Sony might be a reasonable alternative, but I don’t recall the OP suggesting a change of system either. JMHO.

You don’t have to get rid of the fuji gear. A brand new RX10 mk2 is $998 vs the 16-80 at $799.

It’s not simply the cost, but also having to deal with multiple systems. A fine solution for some, and an unwieldy one for others. If it works for the OP, great. Were it me, I’d much prefer a Fuji solution first before taking on another body. Strictly my view here.

Again, agree to a point. It is true that my suggestion would involve adding an additional body to the outfit. But some of us travel with two bodies anyway (a spare body or a body to carry another lens) and in this case a separate bridge camera would serve both purposes.

All this was just a suggestion, something to consider as an option and my intention will have been served if someone at least considers it. Please just take it as that...

ken224's gear list:ken224's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
OP holashobby Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

It’s not simply the cost, but also having to deal with multiple systems. A fine solution for some, and an unwieldy one for others. If it works for the OP, great. Were it me, I’d much prefer a Fuji solution first before taking on another body. Strictly my view here.

Thanks and agreed, I'd prefer a Fuji ILC solution, at first glance it seems to offer more flexibility than a bridge camera.

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Fujijitsu
Fujijitsu Senior Member • Posts: 1,059

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

I used an early version of the Sony - yes capable for a bridge camera, but the small sensor size was just too much of a compromise for me, and I've been very happy with my 18-135 for the last year of extensive travel.

For me travel photography needs more than just zoom range, and sensor size plus higher iso capability are bigger factors for me than zoom specs.

The 18-135 on my Fuji bodies gives more control over depth of field and better high iso capability than a small sensor camera.

But having said that, my favourite travel lens is the 27mm f2.8.  Sharp, useful general purpose length, light and very compact.

I've found my 18-135 to be sharp, quick to focus and very useful, but it's no lightweight.  So for the uses stated by the OP the 16-80 or even the 23 or 27 prices may be better?

Fujijitsu's gear list:Fujijitsu's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-E2
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,175

holashobby wrote:

I am looking at either the 16-80 and the 18-135 as a possible one lens solution for travel and casual photography. In your opinion, which one of these lenses is preferable for cityscapes, streets and non-critical landscape style shooting? I am minded to go with the 18-135 due to its longer reach and larger aperture at the wide end. However, I wonder how the 16-80 compares? which is your preference as a possible one lens travel solution and why?

Thanks for your comments

I own and enjoy the 18-135. I use it for exactly the types of photography you have described though I also use it for serious landscapes. As pointed out it can get heavy carrying it for a few hours so a good strap or a harness is necessary. It does not have the sharpness of Fuji's top primes yet applying a touch of USM in post takes care of that. I've won two photo contests using the lens in the year i've owned it. Here are the winning photos:

People can argue all day about the technical aspects of these lenses.  I just take pictures and don't worry about that.

I don't believe Fuji makes any bad X mount lenses though some have nicer personalities than others.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
mw02veg Forum Member • Posts: 82

Morris0 wrote:

holashobby wrote:

Thanks for your comments

I own and enjoy the 18-135. I use it for exactly the types of photography you have described though I also use it for serious landscapes. As pointed out it can get heavy carrying it for a few hours so a good strap or a harness is necessary. It does not have the sharpness of Fuji's top primes yet applying a touch of USM in post takes care of that. I've won two photo contests using the lens in the year i've owned it. Here are the winning photos:

People can argue all day about the technical aspects of these lenses. I just take pictures and don't worry about that.

I don't believe Fuji makes any bad X mount lenses though some have nicer personalities than others.

Morris

Sense at last .........

mw02veg's gear list:mw02veg's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +10 more
TonyGN10 Regular Member • Posts: 393

Morris0 wrote:

holashobby wrote:

Thanks for your comments

People can argue all day about the technical aspects of these lenses. I just take pictures and don't worry about that.

Morris

My thoughts exactly!

TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Phase One Capture One Pro +3 more
Smuj
Smuj Forum Member • Posts: 84

18-135 and take the 35/1.4 you have listed in your gear for indoors.

-- hide signature --

Smuj
Keep paddling, I can hear banjos.

Smuj's gear list:Smuj's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,160

Neither.

16-55.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
OP holashobby Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

biza43 wrote:

Neither.

16-55.

Thanks for your comments, why would you should it over the other two lenses?

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,160

holashobby wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Neither.

16-55.

Thanks for your comments, why would you should it over the other two lenses?

Faster f2.8, focal length range is enough for me when i travel.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
DocetLector Contributing Member • Posts: 757

16-80 - better optical quality, better stabilisation, better build quality, you can crop but not going wider in PP.

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
guzzi850m2 Regular Member • Posts: 328

ken224 wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

Again, agree to a point. It is true that my suggestion would involve adding an additional body to the outfit. But some of us travel with two bodies anyway (a spare body or a body to carry another lens) and in this case a separate bridge camera would serve both purposes.

All this was just a suggestion, something to consider as an option and my intention will have been served if someone at least considers it. Please just take it as that...

Yes but nevertheless interesting that RX10 III. 24-600mm covered in one package and even weather sealed.

During daylight shooting I doubt you will notice much of a difference compared to a larger sensor camera.

Then a X100 series to compliment it, better for night photographing and way easier to carry.

guzzi850m2's gear list:guzzi850m2's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
susanjane
susanjane Forum Member • Posts: 76

I agree. I own both of them and they are both really good lenses. Consider your destination, how much reach is necessary as opposed to width, and take your pick. I bring a small prime with me, in my case the 35f2, and I’m good to go. 
Buying a new bridge camera for your trip strikes me as a little silly. You will have other occasions to use your lens but that bridge camera will gather dust. Trust your instincts and go with the lens you like best.

susanjane's gear list:susanjane's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Adamant Contributing Member • Posts: 797

To me, it completely comes down to whether you value the 24mm-equivalent FOV.  I value it highly and take a lot of photos there (and almost none at 28mm-e).  Only the OP can know where his personal preferences come down.

liggy
liggy Contributing Member • Posts: 640

DocetLector wrote:

You made a very strong statement about lenses you don`t use or even own!

Agreed. The 18-135 is a superb 1-lens travel tool. Is it the best X camera lens? Of course not. For this job it happens to be excellent.

If I won’t have much time for shooting oftentimes I’ll just toss that lens in my briefcase along with the X-T30 and have maximum flexibility.

Bonus points to the 18-135 for being excellent on an IR converted camera with minimal hot spotting.

“Read it on the internet” is not a substitute for actual real world experience.

liggy's gear list:liggy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +34 more
Den01 New Member • Posts: 16

I have the 18-135 and I have tried the 16-80

I know that some review don't give high score to this lens, but I really like mine. It is now one of my favorite lens because I don't like to take many lens with me and it is sharp enough for my need. When I really want a sharper lens, I take a prime, but I rarely need to do it.

And for the 16-80, I returned it because the one that I got was not better (I even can say that IQ was worse than my 18-135). Maybe I had a bad copy. Also, I don't find it really lighter et smaller than the 18-135.

DocetLector Contributing Member • Posts: 757

I have the 16-80 for 2 months  and I am very satisfied with the results I get. Before I was traveling with the 18-55 and 14 mm plus 1.4/35 for low light ( I still use it ) but changed the 14 mm for the 12 mm Zeiss Touit. Very happy with this set now.

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Il Mostro Regular Member • Posts: 344

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

And there you go.

Il Mostro's gear list:Il Mostro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D +39 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads