EOS-R 4K vídeo in 23.976 fps too laggy (not fluid)

Started 3 months ago | Questions
vkmidia New Member • Posts: 6
EOS-R 4K vídeo in 23.976 fps too laggy (not fluid)

After shooting in 4K 23.976p, I imported in to Resolve 16 timeline with 23.976 settings. Unfortunately the footage is not fluid, it’s too laggy, mainly in the pan movement ... someone knows what is going on ?

PS: the same happens in the 1080p configuration. but it is much less noticeable.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Bassman2003 Senior Member • Posts: 1,294
Re: EOS-R 4K vídeo in 23.976 fps too laggy (not fluid)

It is the slow frame rate.  Your panning speed is going faster than the frame rate.  24p is an art which basically means do not pan the camera when shooting 24p!  If you notice, the camera does not move very much in movies.  They often go to another shot instead of move the camera around a lot.  If they do, it is controlled to make sure it looks good in 24p.  Complicated.

If you want to pan, 60p is best.

Mr_Win Regular Member • Posts: 336

vkmidia wrote:

After shooting in 4K 23.976p, I imported in to Resolve 16 timeline with 23.976 settings. Unfortunately the footage is not fluid, it’s too laggy, mainly in the pan movement ... someone knows what is going on ?

PS: the same happens in the 1080p configuration. but it is much less noticeable.

panning too fast or maybe you're using a 60hz display?  I would chop up the panning segments.

viska Regular Member • Posts: 217

Use 30p

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS RP

Does R do 60p in 4K?

vkmidia wrote:

24 isn't as effective as the higher frame rates,try 30 p in 4k...

OP vkmidia New Member • Posts: 6

Wow, thanks! I thought that was a unit issue.

I'll post sample footage, look at the car window.

It is noticeable when you watch in full screen or a large format, in small-format it's hard to see the lag.

Tmjc Forum Member • Posts: 91

Also try to use only the shutterspeed of 1/(2*framrate) so if you are using 24p 1/50s. This allows an appropriate amount of motion blur so it looks less choppy.

Tmjc's gear list:Tmjc's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II +1 more
DoubleE901
DoubleE901 New Member • Posts: 23

Tmjc wrote:

Also try to use only the shutterspeed of 1/(2*framrate) so if you are using 24p 1/50s. This allows an appropriate amount of motion blur so it looks less choppy.

this is key... most likely will need ND filters to achieve this.

DoubleE901's gear list:DoubleE901's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +2 more

Unfortunately no, not even with external monitor.

Yeah, I’m using 60hz 4K monitor. That’s an issue too ?

I’ll try thanks

Technically speaking, the term is judder.  Laggy would mean the image coming from the cameras is slower than real time.

You often do not see the judder in movies because they are good at making shots and camera movement designed to not create the stuttering.  Or it is hidden because your eyes are following something else in the scene.  The classic example is someone walking across the frame.  The camera can follow them and you do not notice the judder because you are not watching the background.  If the person stopped and the camera continued to move your would then notice the background stuttering.

Why do they use 24p then?  It has a storytelling feel to it.  Sort of like suspending time where 60p feels real-time or instant.

scotth23 Junior Member • Posts: 29

Follow the shutter advice in this thread. 24fps should be 48 shutter speed. That provides the proper motion blur per frame to allow smoother panning etc.

scotth23's gear list:scotth23's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more

Wow, thanks for the explanation. I guess is a little bit of everything what all you guys said. I tried to use Optical flow, and it enhanced a little bit. Thanks for the advice.

Cool.  24p is a different mindset than faster frame rates.  It is a challenge to make it look good and is a major part of "cinematography" instead of video.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads