Difficult lighting but nice results

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
johncal Forum Member • Posts: 64
Difficult lighting but nice results

This was shot right at sunrise  processed with Photolab 3 and Photoshop. The trick was massively under exposing to prevent blowout with the lens straight into the sun then correcting for the huge amount of under exposure and then bringing the color back to life. The camera definitely cannot grasp everything the mind and eye can see but it can capture enough raw information to reconstruct it. I sure do love what technology allows you to do nowadays.

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Pedro Moreira
Pedro Moreira Regular Member • Posts: 280
Re: Difficult lighting but nice results

Thats nice

Would you care to show the original underexposed image?

-- hide signature --

Pedro Moreira

Pedro Moreira's gear list:Pedro Moreira's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
OP johncal Forum Member • Posts: 64

johncal wrote:

This was shot right at sunrise processed with Photolab 3 and Photoshop. The trick was massively under exposing to prevent blowout with the lens straight into the sun then correcting for the huge amount of under exposure and then bringing the color back to life. The camera definitely cannot grasp everything the mind and eye can see but it can capture enough raw information to reconstruct it. I sure do love what technology allows you to do nowadays.

Here's the original for comparison....

As you can see there was very little light when this was shot so it had to be underexposed for the sun resulting in a total lack of saturation and color, and really any contrast whatsoever. What really impressed me was that with this being exposed to the sun that the sensor was able to pick up as much surrounding detail as it was.

Can't tell for sure, but it appears the 3 people on the left are looking at a shark just off shore. It's not in any of the surrounding images but there's not enough resolution for a positive ID!

Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 3,415

TBH in this case I prefer the original. In the edited version the transition look harsh and unnatural.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
OP johncal Forum Member • Posts: 64

Here a sunset from Daytona Beach shot the same way

BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 2,355

Does your camera have "Scene Mode" setting?
I use "Scene Mode" with three frame bracket of +/- 2EV.
I then let HDR-2017 or HDR-2018 to automatically create the HDR output with no need for further post-processing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads