Fuji 23mm f2 Astrophotography

Started Jan 17, 2020 | Discussions
DerekSurfs Senior Member • Posts: 2,263
Fuji 23mm f2 Astrophotography

The 23mm F2 was my first lens I picked up for a 'song' in a package deal with the X-T30. While I wasn't expecting too much in terms of astro capabilities, I took it out for a spin on a recent business trip. It is quite compact and easy to take in a carry-on bag for an all purpose little kit with the X-T30. I only had a rinky dink plastic mini tripod with me. So some shots had shake. But overall, I was very surprised with how well the lens held it up under the stars. Coma wasn't noticeably a problem either. I still plan to get a more 'dedicated' astro lens eventually to cover wider views in addition. But in a pinch, this little 23mm works surprisingly well at night, definitely outperforming my expectations.

ISO 2500, F2.5, 15 secs

ISO 2000, F2.8, 15 secs

ISO 2500, F2.5, 20 secs

-- hide signature --

Derek

Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,947
Re: Fuji 23mm f2 Astrophotography

You played the hand you were dealt.

Nice compositions.   Well done.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, Bovina NY
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
amatecha
amatecha New Member • Posts: 20

Oh dang, those are excellent! So much better than this shot I just posted ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/amatecha/49392155122/   haha

amatecha's gear list:amatecha's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III +2 more
OP DerekSurfs Senior Member • Posts: 2,263

amatecha wrote:

Oh dang, those are excellent! So much better than this shot I just posted ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/amatecha/49392155122/ haha

Wow, that looks great! Nice to see others shooting astro with it as well.

I know what you mean about manual focusing being tricky. I'm still learning how to do that with the lens. Of course, I was trying to do that from a flimsy 12" tripod. Your shot looks better focused.

-- hide signature --

Derek

Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,438

Fantastic! Care to share how you pp the shots? I am really curious to see how is the shot from camera and how it ends up after pp. My Astro efforts were both bad before and after pp 🙂🙂

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4

Yannis1976 wrote:

Fantastic! Care to share how you pp the shots? I am really curious to see how is the shot from camera and how it ends up after pp. My Astro efforts were both bad before and after pp 🙂🙂

Thanks, Yannis. It does take some time to learn the pp aspect. And that is really where the stars come out more. I'm certainly no expert, though I've learned techniques mainly through trial and error. There are a number of really good sites with detailed steps which I've gleaned from. Lonelyspeck is a good among others:

How to Post Process Milky Way Astrophotography

My basic steps are:

1. Shoot RAW and convert in favorite converter. I like Capture One for Fuji (free). Try to get a good white balance here with some other basic adjustments.

2. Take into Photoshop to pull out the stars and adjust mainly with curves, levels.

3. Focus on different parts of the image (sky, milkyway, foreground) in separate layers, then combine.

4. If noise reduction is needed, use another program for that.

Here one example right after RAW conversion and the second after pp in PS. Note, that I had underexposed it too much (ISO 2000). But Fuji has pretty good ISO invariance which helps.

-- hide signature --

Derek

hlc0512 Forum Member • Posts: 60

Nice.. were these at Pfieffer Beach in Big Sur?

hlc0512's gear list:hlc0512's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more

hlc0512 wrote:

Nice.. were these at Pfieffer Beach in Big Sur?

Yes, I've shot there often and its a fabulous place to go at night. Here's a couple from my old Canon 6D & Tamron 15-30/2.8 (single exposures). That's a beast of a lens but very good for astro. I really like to go wide here because the milkyway is so clear. Its nice to get more in frame. That's probably why I'll also pick up a SWA astro lens for Fuji.

One more from the Tamron 15-30:

-- hide signature --

Derek

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads