Most compact bag for a 50R+50

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
debo Senior Member • Posts: 2,275
Most compact bag for a 50R+50

Hi, am a FujiX guy for the last 5+ years (started with a X100 and the rest is history). After some hesitation I got hold of a 50R+50 combo and I am liking the experience.

Whats the most compact/lightweight bag for this, so that I can take it on my day trips instead of my X100F in my jeans pocket

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rob de Loe Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: Most compact bag for a 50R+50

So many bags out there to choose from. I like the Thinktank Retrospective 5, 1st version. They're sturdy and comfortable and can easily hold a 50R plus that tiny lens. I've carried a 50R with a clunky adapter and P645 lens on it in that bag.

I'm sure the 2nd version is fine, but I don't need or want a pocket to carry a tablet, so that's dead space to me. The Retrospective 5 didn't have the tablet pocket.

To give you a sense for what you can stuff in this thing, this is how it looked when I loaded it with my Fuji X-T2 and other gear.

Thinktank Retrospective 5 (1st version)

Lots of pockets. I quite like that front one for dropping stuff in when you're working (caps, etc.)

All of this stuff fit in and was easy and accessible.

Velcro all over the inside so it's easy to reconfigure. The black thing is a rain cover. I carry it in the zippered outside compartment.

And here it is a couple years later with a Fuji GFX 50R inside. The lens is an adapted Pentax 645 (so way bigger than your Fuji GF 50).

Lots of room for a Fuji GFX 50R

OP debo Senior Member • Posts: 2,275

Thank you Rob. Gives me a good starting point. Will have to go into a store and check it out

Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more

debo wrote:

Thank you Rob. Gives me a good starting point. Will have to go into a store and check it out

My pleasure. Another one I considered at the time was the Tenba Cooper 13. It looked nice too.

But I'm still very happy with this one and it's bigger sibling, which I also have (Retrospective 7).

fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,130

debo wrote:

Hi, am a FujiX guy for the last 5+ years (started with a X100 and the rest is history). After some hesitation I got hold of a 50R+50 combo and I am liking the experience.

Whats the most compact/lightweight bag for this, so that I can take it on my day trips instead of my X100F in my jeans pocket

I love the 5L peak design for side carry and the 20L backpack for back carry. You can see how much GFX you can fit at my medium format travel camera post: https://fcracer.com/medium-format-travel-camera/

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm GFX50R review: https://fcracer.com/fujifilm-gfx-50r-first-impressions/
Medium format travel camera: https://fcracer.com/medium-format-travel-camera/
Travel and photography blog: https://fcracer.com

fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50R +14 more

Thank you .... Like this quite a bit. For just the R+50, maybe I should also consider a size 3. The size 5 is awesome for 2 lenses and the R

Greg7579
Greg7579 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,403

Hey debo, remember me?  I still still use the Domke 803 canvas bag for my MF gear.  In fact, I am in Chaing Mai Thailand right now and about to venture out with the GFX 100 around my neck and two lenses in the Domke bag.

I have put the GFX 50r with 45 mounted in that bag plenty of times.

The point is, you can use your smaller bags that you used with your Fuji X gear with the 50r and 50 or 45.....

The best bag for the GFX 100?  No doubt, hands-down - a scientific fact that can not be disputed - The German Compagnon Little Weekender leather bag. Awesome....

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-H1 +16 more

Of course I do remember you Greg from the other forum! Thank you ... I will go to a store and try out a bunch of these recommendations (physical stores are becoming an oxymoron out here). Good luck with your trip. Thailand is super pretty! I definitely won't have the guts to travel in Asia with a GFX100 around my neck, maybe a 50R at most.

left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,020

I like Billingham, sturdy (many other bands seem to be made out of floppy fabrics), padding is soft but semi-rigid and overall built very well, which keeps everything confident and neat - yet lightweight.

I tend to go for their more minimal bags with less pockets and less straps, simpler and lighter-weight.

Their sturdy wide flat bases mean they stand up for themselves when placed on the ground - no more leaning a bag against a table leg or wall!

This is quite small...

https://billingham.co.uk/products/hadley-digital

This is slightly more generous, has inner zip close for extra weatherproofing and security, and a rear zip pocket for passport phone etc...

https://billingham.co.uk/products/s2

...recommended. You might even want to also look at the longer S3.

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm GF 50mm F3.5 +5 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422

debo wrote:

Congrats on this new acquisition. The 50R is superb! My favorite camera for street photography for sure. Be ready to "retire" the X100F, the GFX system is just on another league

Interesting you asked this question because I was thinking exactly the same thing. Ultimately, I decided against any sling and shoulder bags as they are simply not comfortable (at least for me) for long walks (> 4-5 miles). After using for quite some time, a Think Tank Retrospective, I decided going with a backpack style as I could not deal with bearing the weight on one of my shoulder.

While carrying relatively heavy pieces of equipment (e.g., the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II), the shoulder bag Retrospective was a pain in the butt for long walks.

I opted for the Mindshift PhotoCross™ 13 Camera Backpack.

https://www.scottdavenportphoto.com/blog/thinktank-photocross-13-backpack-review

You can easily put one 13inches laptop, as well as the GFX50R, 45, 63 and 110 mm, which is exactly my setting. I have not used it yet, but will do tomorrow. I will be also carrying this backpack when going to work (no 110 mm though). The backpack is relatively compact, and looks sturdy, and quite comfortable, which was of paramount importance for me.

This backpack does have a sling bag version as well. For me, the sling bag was a no go as the distribution of weight is rather uneven (one shoulder does all the work while the other does not).

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570, XD5 & XD11 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
EuronGreyjoy
EuronGreyjoy Regular Member • Posts: 232

debo wrote:

I also use the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L for this combo (50R + 50mm F3.5).

It's really nice, whether I wanna bring the X-T3 with 2 lenses, the X100F with 2 conversion lenses or the combo mentioned above, it's a joy to use and carry around.

The uneven weight distribution imo doesn't matter with this bag as your gear will be relatively light anyway.

EuronGreyjoy's gear list:EuronGreyjoy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +14 more

Thx. Maybe I will go for this peak design or a timbuk2 (I have used their messenger bags).

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,120

debo wrote:

Hello

it would be useful for you to specify what kind of bag you would favor . shoulder bag ? messenger bag ? backpack ? sling

also essential to choose the right bag is to know whether you need to have space for a laptop or just a tablet or what ?

do you plan to travel by plane often or not ?

personally I would advise against the think tank advice you received . in addition to being overpriced they are overkill in terms of partition which reduces inside space and add to the weight

depending on what kind of bag you would favor , you would get different advice

for long hikes or carrying all day a backpack is WAY BETTER than any shoulder bag

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Greg7579

Harold66 wrote:

debo wrote:

Hello

it would be useful for you to specify what kind of bag you would favor . shoulder bag ? messenger bag ? backpack ? sling

also essential to choose the right bag is to know whether you need to have space for a laptop or just a tablet or what ?

personally I would advise against the think tank advice you received . in addition to being overpriced they are overkill in terms of partition which reduces inside space and add to the weight

for long hikes or carrying all day a backpack is WAY BETTER than any shoulder bag

Harold

Harold,

I use shoulder bags, backpacks and messenger bags.  My favorite shoulder bag for just a lens or two and the camera around my neck is the Domke F803.  For the GFX 100 the Leather Little Weekender.  Messenger Bag (new version 2) is Peak Design Everyday Messenger (I have both sizes - 13 and 15) and the best backpack id the PD Everyday backpack (I have both sizes there too).

But don't do what I do because I have too many bags.  But then again, I have too many cameras.  And way too many lenses.  Don't listen to me.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-H1 +16 more
Harold66

Greg7579 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

debo wrote:

Hello

Harold

Harold,

I use shoulder bags, backpacks and messenger bags. My favorite shoulder bag for just a lens or two and the camera around my neck is the Domke F803. For the GFX 100 the Leather Little Weekender. Messenger Bag (new version 2) is Peak Design Everyday Messenger (I have both sizes - 13 and 15) and the best backpack id the PD Everyday backpack (I have both sizes there too).

But don't do what I do because I have too many bags.

I think most of us are guilty of that;-)

But then again, I have too many cameras. And way too many lenses.

fortunately  I don t have this gas syndrome . and when I have stuff that I do not use anymore . I tried to sell it

Don't listen to me.

Ok I. won't   . easy to do that when you wrote that you carry your camera around your neck . can t remember the last time I did that:-O

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422

Harold66 wrote:

debo wrote:

Hello

I used to carry my gear on that Think Tank shoulder bag and I will never have to carry that piece of junk again.  Totally agree with you on that!

+1.  I actually my gear yesterday with the PhotoCross 13 (backpack version) and it was a delight!  Much more comfortable!

Cheers,

Max

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570, XD5 & XD11 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Greg7579

Harold66 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

debo wrote:

Hello

Harold

Harold,

I use shoulder bags, backpacks and messenger bags. My favorite shoulder bag for just a lens or two and the camera around my neck is the Domke F803. For the GFX 100 the Leather Little Weekender. Messenger Bag (new version 2) is Peak Design Everyday Messenger (I have both sizes - 13 and 15) and the best backpack id the PD Everyday backpack (I have both sizes there too).

fortunately I don t have this gas syndrome . and when I have stuff that I do not use anymore . I tried to sell it

Don't listen to me.

Ok I. won't . easy to do that when you wrote that you carry your camera around your neck . can t remember the last time I did that:-O

In the past 5 years, I bet I have walked 2000 miles with a camera slung on body in some manner around my neck.  I always exaggerate for DPR comic effect, but that is a true fact.  Probably under-exaggerated.  It is probably more than that.  And I'm old.  Well....  63.

-- hide signature --
Harold66

Greg7579 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

debo wrote:

Hello

Harold

Harold,

fortunately I don t have this gas syndrome . and when I have stuff that I do not use anymore . I tried to sell it

Don't listen to me.

Ok I. won't . easy to do that when you wrote that you carry your camera around your neck . can t remember the last time I did that:-O

In the past 5 years, I bet I have walked 2000 miles with a camera slung on body in some manner around my neck. I always exaggerate for DPR comic effect, but that is a true fact.

I believe you of course . it is just an odd choice IMHO. maybe it is also have to do that I do not see the benefit of carrying a camera around my neck while I need some bag anyway to hold lenses, a sweater or another rain jacket, water ..

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

tgltgl Contributing Member • Posts: 568

moimoi wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

debo wrote:

Hello

I used to carry my gear on that Think Tank shoulder bag and I will never have to carry that piece of junk again. Totally agree with you on that!

+1. I actually my gear yesterday with the PhotoCross 13 (backpack version) and it was a delight! Much more comfortable!

Cheers,

Max

Harold

I also have the strong preference for backpacks after trying many shoulder bags (especially for MF or large DSLR systems). I have the Billingham Rucksack 25 and it's my favorite bag I have ever had (and like most here I have had and still have way to many). By the way, I find the Billinghams the best not only because of obvious quality and tradition, but also they are extremely light and you don't need anything else if it starts raining (most other bags and especially with nice leather bags you do have to worry about that but Billingham are completely maintenance free with no extra addons required for rain):

Billingham 25 Rucksack for Cameras - Sage FibreNyte / Chocolate Leather

There is one exception to backpack as best solution for me - when I only want to take out my GFX 50R with the pancake GF 50 lens (will work with GF 45 or GF 63 as well, or my Leica Q) - in that case I take the Billingham Hadley Small and it fits perfectly with room for some small accessories (those setups are not too bad as far as shoulder and back pain are concerned).

Billingham Hadley Small Pro Shoulder Bag (Sage FibreNyte & Chocolate Leather)

tgltgl's gear list:tgltgl's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads