2020 Midrange Shootout! 24-70 GM vs Sigma 24-70 DN vs Sony 24-105 vs Tamron 28-75 vs Nikon 24-70 Z

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,399
2020 Midrange Shootout! 24-70 GM vs Sigma 24-70 DN vs Sony 24-105 vs Tamron 28-75 vs Nikon 24-70 Z

All shot on an A7r IV except for Nikon 24-70Z shot on a Z7. Focused at center at f/2.8 for each focal length. Tripod, 2-second timer delay, electronic shutter, IS off. ISO 200, Shutter speeds of 1/4000 (f/2.8) to 1/500 (f/8). Shot raw and processed in LR with all defaults except sharpening set to 45/0.7/35. Composite comparisons show center, midrange, and extreme right edge, all 100% crops. Sunny day with light filtered through thin high clouds, sun behind me, light intensity changed slightly between lenses.

All lenses are reasonably well centered except for the Sigma, which exhibits significant tilting at 50mm at all apertures (full-sized 50mm f/2.8 image - left side soft) - also tilted at 70mm but less so. Messed up the framing on the Tamron, so it shows a slightly shifted portion of the scene vs the other lenses compared.

Composite Comparison: 24mm
Composite Comparison: 28-30mm
Composite Comparison: 35mm
Composite Comparison: 50mm
Composite Comparison: 70mm

Here are the full-sized images for each lens. You can download all images in each gallery via a single-click of the downward facing arrow to the immediate left of the green "Buy Photos" button.

Full-Sized Images: Sony 24-70 GM
Full-Sized Images: Sigma 24-70 DN
Full-Sized Images: Sony 24-105
Full-Sized Images: Tamron 28-75
Full-Sized Images: Nikon 24-70Z

Nikon Z7 Sony a7R Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 567
Re: 2020 Midrange Shootout!

The takeaway here is that either you had a terrible copy of the 24-105/4 or I need to invest in a 24-70 eventually.

/Or possibly both?  My f/4 is your f/5.6 at a guess.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,117

My 24-105 is certainly better than this example in the center. Still, all in all, even in this comparison, I think the 24-105 F4 more than holds its own as an "all-in-one" lens. Extreme corners seem to be better the 24-70 2.8 GM.

Thanks for doing this comparison. I know that's a lot of work.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 682

Great comparison! thats a hard work!

Though i think i have better GM/G copy (mounted on R3), but this sigma ART is really a great lens

-- hide signature --

Tristan.W

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +6 more
MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

Very interesting; thank you.

I have a foot in both camps (Nikon & Sony) so it is good to see a direct comparison between their flagship 24-70 lenses.

It is also good to see that I made the right choice going with the Nikon over the Sony GM. Yours is obviously superior and I suspect that my Nikkor may even be a smidge better than yours overall.

-- hide signature --

What a crock these forums really are!

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +14 more
OP Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,399

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

The takeaway here is that either you had a terrible copy of the 24-105/4 or I need to invest in a 24-70 eventually.

/Or possibly both? My f/4 is your f/5.6 at a guess.

I'm going to do a spot recheck of the 24-105 @ 24mm because in reviewing its 24mm results the midframe/edges look sharper than the center, which indicates the camera may have misfocused. The results for the other focal lengths look about right

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,004
Thanks!

Thanks for doing this. I only have one of the lenses you tested, the Nikkor S. It's the best 24-70/2.8 I've used.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 +2 more
Mark Rosher
Mark Rosher Regular Member • Posts: 258

Thanks for the rigorous review; that was a lot of work. I'm surprised at how poor the 24-105 F4 G turned out to be, and I suspect yours is a bit naffer than mine. I've recently moved from Canon and I thin my Sony 24-105 F4 is slightly sharper than my Canon 24-105 F4 was...

-- hide signature --

Home: www.rosher.net /|\ Flickr: incredibish

Mark Rosher's gear list:Mark Rosher's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,821
Re: 2020 Midrange Shootout! 24-70 GM vs Sigma 24-70 DN vs Sony 24-105 vs Tamron 28-75

Horshack: Thank you for taking the time to do this, I know it's a lot of work - it's really appreciated!

Mark Rosher wrote:

I'm surprised at how poor the 24-105 F4 G turned out to be, and I suspect yours is a bit naffer than mine. I've recently moved from Canon and I thin my Sony 24-105 F4 is slightly sharper than my Canon 24-105 F4 was...

Agreed. I've had both versions of the Canon 24-105 f4/L (mk1 and mk2) and my Sony 24-105 is sharper than both. I think my Sony 24-105 is sharper than this sample too.

Sony 24-105 was misfocused @ 24mm

Just went to same spot and verified the samples I took on the 24-105 @ 24mm are misfocused. The other focal lengths are ok - reshot those too and they match the original images I posted in the OP in terms of acuity. Nonetheless I plan to reshoot the entire series on all lenses again when the weather cooperates so that I have an exact match on lighting for all (today was overcast). I'll be taking 3 sets for every lens, refocusing for each set, and picking the sharpest of the three. In the meantime here's a 100% crop comparison of the 24mm shot from today vs the misfocused shot in the OP:

Sony 24-105mm @ 24mm f/4, original misfocused vs reshoot

Re: Thanks!

JimKasson wrote:

Thanks for doing this. I only have one of the lenses you tested, the Nikkor S. It's the best 24-70/2.8 I've used.

Jim

The Nikon was definitely the best but the Sigma put in a great performance. Too bad my copy is severely tilted at 50mm. Others have gotten tilted copies of this model as well so it's not a good start for Sigma on the QC for this new design

TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 682
Re: Sony 24-105 was misfocused @ 24mm

Horshack wrote:

Just went to same spot and verified the samples I took on the 24-105 @ 24mm are misfocused. The other focal lengths are ok - reshot those too and they match the original images I posted in the OP in terms of acuity. Nonetheless I plan to reshoot the entire series on all lenses again when the weather cooperates so that I have an exact match on lighting for all (today was overcast). I'll be taking 3 sets for every lens, refocusing for each set, and picking the sharpest of the three. In the meantime here's a 100% crop comparison of the 24mm shot from today vs the misfocused shot in the OP:

Sony 24-105mm @ 24mm f/4, original misfocused vs reshoot

now i'm now concerning about  distant-AF-capability of R4 a little bit

-- hide signature --

Tristan.W

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +6 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,414

Horshack wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

/Or possibly both? My f/4 is your f/5.6 at a guess.

I'm going to do a spot recheck of the 24-105 @ 24mm because in reviewing its 24mm results the midframe/edges look sharper than the center, which indicates the camera may have misfocused. The results for the other focal lengths look about right

Look foward to see the corrected results - always interesting to see real life comparitions.

Guess the misfocused series will pop up now and then in brand wars, but so is the net...

Re: Sony 24-105 was misfocused @ 24mm

Yes, that's more like it!

Thanks again,

Cheers

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
*** RESHOOT ***

As mentioned here, the Sony 24-105 images @ 24mm were misfocused. Rather than just reshoot those, which wouldn't be comparable due to different lighting/conditions, I decided to reshoot the entire series. I thought it would be a good idea anyway as a check against the original results. This time I shot every lens/focal length combination four times (twice in a row for each lens, then cycled through all the other lenses before shooting the next two), refocusing focus for each, and took the sharpest of the four. This turned out to be the first shot since sharpness was the same all four times - the only exception was the Nikon 24-70Z @ 28mm, for which I chose the second sample.

Other differences vs the first shoot:

• Changed the 28~30mm test to exactly 28mm to make the results more comparable at that focal range
  • Sky was clear vs moving high clouds, so lighting is more consistent this time
  • A7rIV: AF at full magnification vs normal magnification. Z7: Focused at full magnification for focus group 2b vs normal magnification for all
  • Matched WB between images
  • Increased brightness in post of edge crops in composite images to make comparisons easier
  • Slightly adjusted area of crops per lens in composite images to make comparisons easier

Reshoot Composite Comparison: 24mm
Reshoot Composite Comparison: 28mm
Reshoot Composite Comparison: 35mm
Reshoot Composite Comparison: 50mm
Reshoot Composite Comparison: 70mm

Here is a composite showing all four focus attempts for each lens/focal length. These are all wide-open (f/2.8 for all lenses except the 24-105, which is at f/4). Note that focus group 'b' has contrastier lighting vs group 'a' since they were shot after all group 'b' images were taken.

Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 24mm
Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 35mm
Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 50mm
Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 70mm

Here is a comparison of the FOV @ 24mm between the lenses. The Sigma 24-70 has a noticeably wider FOV vs the other lens. Framing was done so that content of the right edge is the same, meaning FOV differences will be noticeable by how much content you can see at the left edge of the frame:

Animation: FOV comparison @ 24mm

Finally, here are galleries with the full-sized images for the crops displayed in the composite comparison images. All are from focus group 1a except for the 24-70Z @ 28mm, which is focus group 2a. You can download all images in each gallery via a single-click of the downward facing arrow to the immediate left of the green "Buy Photos" button.

Austinian
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,541
Re: *** RESHOOT ***

Horshack wrote:

As mentioned here, the Sony 24-105 images @ 24mm were misfocused. Rather than just reshoot those, which wouldn't be comparable due to different lighting/conditions, I decided to reshoot the entire series. I thought it would be a good idea anyway as a check against the original results. This time I shot every lens/focal length combination four times (twice in a row for each lens, then cycled through all the other lenses before shooting the next two), refocusing focus for each, and took the sharpest of the four. This turned out to be the first shot since sharpness was the same all four times - the only exception was the Nikon 24-70Z @ 28mm, for which I chose the second sample.

• Changed the 28~30mm test to exactly 28mm to make the results more comparable at that focal range
  • A7rIV: AF at full magnification vs normal magnification. Z7: Focused at full magnification for focus group 2b vs normal magnification for all
  • Increased brightness in post of edge crops in composite images to make comparisons easier
  • Slightly adjusted area of crops per lens in composite images to make comparisons easier

That's some really fine work you've done there; I'll be looking at it in detail later today when I have more time, but I've always wondered what I was giving up with the 24-105 vs. the others.

Thanks for this very useful test.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,428

Thanks for testing. What is conclusion that is what I am interested?

I own two related lenses, Canon EF 24-70L/2.8 II and Tamron FE 28-75/2.8.

From what I have read so far,

Sony GM and Sigma are bit sharper than Tamron at f2.8 wide open at 24/28mm side at least, while Tamron is very good in 50-75 side. But after stopping down a bit no much difference among all of them that is what I used mostly anyway in landscape type photos. Tamron is significantly lighter than all others so I will keep especially I also carry FE 16-35 GM in trips so that is a big factor, also less FL overlapping which is actually an advantage to me. Maybe eventually I will get Sigma to replace Canon EF version which still has the best sunstar among all of them (not sure Nikon Z version). For sunstar, bokeh, background separation, low light, color rendering, micro-contrast and ultimate sharpness, I have Voigtlander CV 21/1.4 and CV 40/1.2 Nokton that complement my zoom lenses very well.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +18 more
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 567

Horshack wrote:

Here is a composite showing all four focus attempts for each lens/focal length. These are all wide-open (f/2.8 for all lenses except the 24-105, which is at f/4). Note that focus group 'b' has contrastier lighting vs group 'a' since they were shot after all group 'b' images were taken.

Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 24mm
Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 35mm
Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 50mm
Reshoot Composite Focus Comparison: 70mm

Here is a comparison of the FOV @ 24mm between the lenses. The Sigma 24-70 has a noticeably wider FOV vs the other lens. Framing was done so that content of the right edge is the same, meaning FOV differences will be noticeable by how much content you can see at the left edge of the frame:

Animation: FOV comparison @ 24mm

Finally, here are galleries with the full-sized images for the crops displayed in the composite comparison images. All are from focus group 1a except for the 24-70Z @ 28mm, which is focus group 2a. You can download all images in each gallery via a single-click of the downward facing arrow to the immediate left of the green "Buy Photos" button.

My takeaway from the reshoot is that I want a Sigma.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,428
Re: Thanks!

JimKasson wrote:

Jim

interesting to compare to Canon RF 24-70L/2.8 IS. Canon doesn't have a high-res RF mount camera at this moment but rumored 60 or 70mp EOS-R II should be announced soon.  Expect Canon lens still has excellent 18-point sunstar which is an advantage in Canon lenses in general.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +18 more

Thanks again for doing this.

It confirms to me that I made the right choice for my purposes. The 24-105 F4 remains an excellent compromise of size, weight, focal length and optical quality.

Cheers

Visit my galleries at:
http://beautiful-life.smugmug.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads