Printing Using iPad

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
museo Regular Member • Posts: 104
Printing Using iPad

I recognize that this is most likely off topic, but I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to a solution.

I had been able to print e-mails and such from my iPad to a Canon Pro-10 printer.  The printer is Ethernet connected to a router.  The iPad connects using Wi-Fi to the router and then to the printer.  This method has been successfully used for the past 3 years until about a week ago.  After several days attempting to resolve the problem and several calls to Apple, Canon and the router people, the problem appears to be related to iOS updated software.  Despite having two conversations with three different Apple tech people, it's evident Apple will not provide a solution.  Hence, I would like to know if anyone has found a printing app that successfully works under the set up that is being used.  I did try the Printer Pro app and the Canon Inkjet Selphy, but neither work very well.

One suggestion was to enable wireless on the printer and that would solve the problem.  However, after viewing several different website where people are using a canon printer wirelessly and having problems where the printer disappears, I'm reluctant to go that way.

Thanks for any help.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,392
Re: Printing Using iPad

What problem has been found with Canon wireless printing?

I have a Pixma Pro 100 set up as wireless receiving output from 3 Macs. It's been rock solid for over a year.

Rich

OP museo Regular Member • Posts: 104

Rich42 wrote:

I have a Pixma Pro 100 set up as wireless receiving output from 3 Macs. It's been rock solid for over a year.

Rich

After finally getting to a Canon tech person who knew about this problem, it has been determined that when printing an e-mail the error that occurs is caused by a paper size issue, which cannot be adjusted using the iPad print app.  The iPad app apparently is set to print 4x6, whereas printing on 8.5 x 11" paper causes the error.  This has been confirmed by the 11 flashes of the amber light on the printer.

Enabling the Wi-Fi setting on the printer disables the Ethernet connection that is currently being used.  The Ethernet connection is used because it is more stable for photo printing.  This also was confirmed by the Canon tech.  Thus my preference is to use the Canon printer by hardwire through the router and then to my desktop computer.

Thus far I have not found a solution to the obvious iPad printing shortcoming as there is no means to make paper size adjustments.

OP museo Regular Member • Posts: 104

Rich42 wrote:

Rich

I am tardy responding to your question.  have been busy trying to solve the printing problem issue.  However, here are the details and the results.

Attempts to print from an iPad to a Canon pro-10 printer resulted in the following:

The Ipad would make contact with the printer.  The printer behaved as though it was going to print the document by drawing in the 8.5 x 11 size paper.  The paper would be drawn in about halfway before stopping.  Where upon the amber light on the printer would begin blinking indicating an error.  The number of blinks indicated a paper size discrepancy.  Researching the discrepancy did not provide a solution.  Because it was possible to print successfully from the iPad to the Canon Pro-10 printer previously, and because it suddenly stopped printing about a month or so ago, I began wondering if the iOS update was the cause.  Telephoned Apple support to ask if they had a solution.  This proved to be a waste of time.

Finally contacted Canon support.  The first call did not provide a solution.  A subsequent call did provide a solution.  The key was the paper size discrepancy.  The tech person instructed me to open Safari and enter the IP address of the printer.  This opened a printer dialogue window.  Once there, the tech person asked if "Detect paper width" was checked?  It was.  He then said to uncheck this box and try to print a document.  It solved the problem.  Now why or how it became checked I do not know.  Moreover, I did not, nor ever have made contact with the printer in this manner.  Heck, I didn't even know about this method.  Now I wonder if the iOS update made this change.  Here is why.  If one decides to print a photo that is on their iPad, it will print out only a 4 x 6 photo. This may explain why the paper discrepancy issue occurred.  At least at this point that is what I surmise.  As previously stated, it was possible to successfully print from my iPad since first getting and using the Canon Pro-10 printer.  That is, until a month or so ago and coincidently after updating the iOS of the iPad

So that's the story.

Alexey Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

Thanks for posting the last update.  Not many people share the final reolution once their problem is resolved.  On behalf of future users searching for this issue, truly appreciated.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads