A7Riii and EFCS

Started 3 months ago | Questions
il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,636
A7Riii and EFCS

I've found a lot of inconclusive discussions for using EFCS on some Sony cameras, so I wonder if anyone can give the full list of reasons why/when EFCS should not be used with A7R3.
I'm sure this would be useful to all A7R3 newbies

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-A5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
ANSWER:
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,828
Re: A7Riii and EFCS

il_alexk wrote:

I've found a lot of inconclusive discussions for using EFCS on some Sony cameras, so I wonder if anyone can give the full list of reasons why/when EFCS should not be used with A7R3.
I'm sure this would be useful to all A7R3 newbies

Thanks

The only one I have personally experienced and am aware of is:

- When using HSS flash with shutter speeds above 1/1000 or 1/2000, you will likely see banding in the resulting image.

I have used EFCS on multiple Sony bodies for years and never experienced any other negative issue. Fully silent shutter I have the expected issue where some LED lighting causes banding.

I run with EFCS on by default all the time.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,562

EFCS in general has issues where the speeds of the electronic and mechanical curtains don't exactly match. This becomes more of an issue at shorter exposures and can lead to uneven exposure for 1/1000th and shorter. Jim Kasson did some testing of this. Not sure whether the A7R3 was specifically included, but I think we would have heard if it were immune. This effect is not, IME, dramatic, but it's something to be aware of.

Also, for reasons I do not understand, bokeh artifacts can be "chopped" by EFCS. I think maybe this is something that's more of a concern with adapted AF lenses. It might have something to do with bad stop-down timing during the shorter lag of EFCS. I certainly have not noticed it with manual lenses.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Kodak DCS460 +21 more
kennedmh New Member • Posts: 4

You don't want to have EFCS on if you are using a very fast aperture. I think it makes a difference for something like f/2 or faster.

This link to another dpreview post explains the physics of it all

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
moficera Regular Member • Posts: 362

SQLGuy wrote:

EFCS in general has issues where the speeds of the electronic and mechanical curtains don't exactly match. This becomes more of an issue at shorter exposures and can lead to uneven exposure for 1/1000th and shorter. Jim Kasson did some testing of this. Not sure whether the A7R3 was specifically included, but I think we would have heard if it were immune. This effect is not, IME, dramatic, but it's something to be aware of.

I think uneven exposure can be quite obvious, when the top (or bottom, not sure) is darker.

Also, for reasons I do not understand, bokeh artifacts can be "chopped" by EFCS. I think maybe this is something that's more of a concern with adapted AF lenses. It might have something to do with bad stop-down timing during the shorter lag of EFCS. I certainly have not noticed it with manual lenses.

Bokeh is affected because with EFCS the plane of shutter differs, when you use full mechanical shutter or full electronic shutter bokeh is not affected.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,562

kennedmh wrote:

You don't want to have EFCS on if you are using a very fast aperture. I think it makes a difference for something like f/2 or faster.

Thanks. That article definitely helped. Explains why I hadn't noticed with my faster manual lenses: I typically shoot those wide or near wide open at night, so without the narrow slit between the electronic and mechanical shutter curtains.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Kodak DCS460 +21 more
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,816

kennedmh wrote:

Not just that - fast aperture AND short shutter speed.

In general if you're at or slower than 1/1000 you should be fine under almost any circumstance.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
OP il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,636

kennedmh wrote:

Fantastic, makes a lot of sense. The most important part for me is to realise that different restrictions of EFCS on different cameras are a reflection of different strategies to prevent the common problem. Nikon blocks EFCS at 1/2000, Sony allows its users to decide.

And I also read it as the DR is expected to be the same with EFCS on and off. The difference that some users might observe with EFCS can be explained by the upper area of the screen getting less light due to the reasons stated in the link above.

Simples! 

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-A5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads