Metal Square Lens Hood for XF 14 mm f2.8

Started Jan 14, 2020 | Questions
Brazius Regular Member • Posts: 225
Metal Square Lens Hood for XF 14 mm f2.8

Hi,

Just purchased FujiFilm XF 14 mm f2.8 lens and looking to get a metal square lens hood for it similar to like on XF 35 mm f1.4 one.

I know two company's that make 3rd party metal square lens hoods for Fuji lenses one being JJC but I couldn't find any metal square hoods for this lens from them. And a Haoge that do have a metal square lens hood for this lens.

Does anyone own this Haoge LH-X13 Metal Square Lens Hood and could give me any feedback. Is it any good? Does it affect the images in any way? I wonder why Fuji didn't make similar hood as like one on 35 mm f1.4 the lenses came out at the same time.

Maybe there is a reason why they went for round petal shaped instead of square?

I saw one comment on Amazon UK saying "The bayonet is very loose and allows the hood to twist almost freely on the lens. I had to make some tweaks to actually make it usable"

Or maybe someone knows another company that make metal square lens hood for 14 mm f2.8 lens?

Here is the hood I'm talking about:

Thank you.

Brazius's gear list:Brazius's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,293
Re: Metal Square Lens Hood for XF 14 mm f2.8

The 14mm is a jolly wide lens so I'd have thought the hood designed and supplied by Fuji was the correct way to go.  It works well on mine.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
OP Brazius Regular Member • Posts: 225

a_c_skinner wrote:

The 14mm is a jolly wide lens so I'd have thought the hood designed and supplied by Fuji was the correct way to go. It works well on mine.

I'm sure that the original hood works well. My question is is the 3rd party squared one will not affect the images in any way because the original one is shaped differently hens I'm sure there was a reason for it.

I like the look, size and feel of the metal squared one and would like to use it instead of the original round one.

qianjin Regular Member • Posts: 208

You want to be very careful with 3rd party lens hood on a wide angel lens because you may end up with vignetting when the aperture is wide open. I learned that lesson on my 28mm FF  lens, and this 14mm (eqv. to 22mm FF) is even wider.

Brazius wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

The 14mm is a jolly wide lens so I'd have thought the hood designed and supplied by Fuji was the correct way to go. It works well on mine.

I'm sure that the original hood works well. My question is is the 3rd party squared one will not affect the images in any way because the original one is shaped differently hens I'm sure there was a reason for it.

I like the look, size and feel of the metal squared one and would like to use it instead of the original round one.

qianjin's gear list:qianjin's gear list
Leica Q2 Sony RX100 II Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

Brazius wrote:

Hi,

Just purchased FujiFilm XF 14 mm f2.8 lens and looking to get a metal square lens hood for it similar to like on XF 35 mm f1.4 one.

I know two company's that make 3rd party metal square lens hoods for Fuji lenses one being JJC but I couldn't find any metal square hoods for this lens from them. And a Haoge that do have a metal square lens hood for this lens.

Does anyone own this Haoge LH-X13 Metal Square Lens Hood and could give me any feedback. Is it any good? Does it affect the images in any way? I wonder why Fuji didn't make similar hood as like one on 35 mm f1.4 the lenses came out at the same time.

Maybe there is a reason why they went for round petal shaped instead of square?

I saw one comment on Amazon UK saying "The bayonet is very loose and allows the hood to twist almost freely on the lens. I had to make some tweaks to actually make it usable"

Or maybe someone knows another company that make metal square lens hood for 14 mm f2.8 lens?

Here is the hood I'm talking about:

Thank you.

I still use the Fujifilm 'petal' lens hood on my 14/2.8 & 18-55. However, I use the Haoge LH-X35 on my 23/2.0 and it locks into the bayonet fitting quite solidly.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more

qianjin wrote:

You want to be very careful with 3rd party lens hood on a wide angel lens because you may end up with vignetting when the aperture is wide open. I learned that lesson on my 28mm FF lens, and this 14mm (eqv. to 22mm FF) is even wider.

That's the main reason I want someone with that square hood to comment to make sure it's not affecting the images.

Len-O wrote:

I still use the Fujifilm 'petal' lens hood on my 14/2.8 & 18-55. However, I use the Haoge LH-X35 on my 23/2.0 and it locks into the bayonet fitting quite solidly.

Good to know that your Haoge hood locks in properly. Maybe the person on Amazon got the defective one or something.

So now just need the feedback on if it affects the image quality.

Thanks

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,293

The Amazon entry specifically says it works on the 14mm but I cannot understand the DPR obsession with the "look" of lens hoods.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,972

Brazius wrote:

qianjin wrote:

You want to be very careful with 3rd party lens hood on a wide angel lens because you may end up with vignetting when the aperture is wide open. I learned that lesson on my 28mm FF lens, and this 14mm (eqv. to 22mm FF) is even wider.

That's the main reason I want someone with that square hood to comment to make sure it's not affecting the images.

I have one of their square lens hoods on my 35mm F1.4 & my 23mm F2. They both have a positive bayonet fit & do cause vignetting.  If you buy it from Amazon & for some reason it's not what you expect you can easily return it.

I like the look of them too. 

-- hide signature --

Chuck

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

a_c_skinner wrote:

The Amazon entry specifically says it works on the 14mm but I cannot understand the DPR obsession with the "look" of lens hoods.

Personally I don't care too much about the "look" but the construction. In general the plastic Fujifilm lens hoods are not particularly strong, or durable. Those early plastic "petal" hoods are quite fragile with the construction where they lock into the bayonet on the lens.

The 14/2.8 and the 18-55 along with the 35/1.4 were the first Fuji lenses I bought along with my X-E2 in 2015. I have had to replace both plastic "petal" lens hoods, which are the same on the 14/2.8 & 18-55. Both had a plastic lock tab broken which made them useless. The 2 OEM replacements cost me $29 each at B&H. Fortunately the 35/1.4 came with its metal rectangular hood with its very loose lens cap.

I pretty much decided that if I could I would replace plastic OEM Fuji lens hoods with metal provided there was no issue with IQ.

When I bought the 16/1.4 the first thing I did was to buy the OEM upgraded rectangular, metal hood, and the rectangular form does make a considerable difference to the appearance of that lens. However, that metal lens hood has its issue with plastic with its slide-on plastic lens cap.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Marriott
Marriott Senior Member • Posts: 1,954

Hi. I don't have a Fuji camera, (but I'm seriously considering it or I wouldn't be reading this forum), and I use the Haoge square on my Pana/Leica 15mm f/1.7. It works perfectly. Screw it on, tighten the locking ring, and you are good to go. There is no vignetting at all. It is easy to remove and the metal is good quality as far as I can tell. The ebay seller was prompt and the item was on time and as advertised. I've since bought one more for my Sigma 56mm f/1.4. They are a bit pricey, but I'm quite happy with both of them. I think they are quite distinctive.

Before:

After:

Although I am enjoying my m4/3 cameras, I would be sorely tempted to purchase a Fuji if they put IBIS in one of their smaller cameras. I love being able to hand-hold the 15mm down to half a second for still subjects.

Marriott's gear list:Marriott's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +12 more
Kiwi Steve New Member • Posts: 5

Hi, Did you end up buying the LH-X13 for your XF14? I have this combination and it works very well. No image quality issues so far as I can see. All the Haoge lens hoods I've bought have been excellent quality with good tight fit. Thinking about getting their LH-X53 and LH-X35 for my XF18 and XF23.

Hurwitz CHL New Member • Posts: 12

I have one of this, works great, fits tight, no vignetting, just a bit heavy.

Hurwitz CHL's gear list:Hurwitz CHL's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +11 more
Birdmanfriday Regular Member • Posts: 417

Hurwitz CHL wrote:

I have one of this, works great, fits tight, no vignetting, just a bit heavy.

+1. I have one, bought to make the lens a bit easier to pack with the hood in place. Works great, fitting is tight and secure, construction is very high quality. Obviously being quite a shallow design it’s of moderate benefit in shielding the lens, but I’m finding it sufficiently effective to be worth its place in my bag. Definitely worthy of Fuji and I’d buy another if I lost it.

For those that care about such things, it probably looks a bit more “pro” than the one that came with the lens, but as I use it mainly for landscape that’s pretty irrelevant for me.

Birdmanfriday's gear list:Birdmanfriday's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads