"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419
"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Many times in threads about the pros and cons of buying/using old camera models, the 'end of customer assistance'/'end of spare parts availability' argument is raised.

In my understanding, manufacturer shall (or should?) provide servicing of the camera (lens, etc.) and availability of spare parts for repairs for 10 years.

Is this correct?

Does this come from legal obligation, or 'industry standard', or voluntary manufacturer's policy?

when the 10-years period starts? The date of 'end of production' should logically apply. But what about if the manufacturer never declared it? And if they terminate their whole business?

Is it a good move by the owner of an old (but still perfectly working) camera to buy a same one (used) as a safe (and relatively cheap!) source of spare parts?

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 14,920
Re: "Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

rapick wrote:

Is it a good move by the owner of an old (but still perfectly working) camera to buy a same one (used) as a safe (and relatively cheap!) source of spare parts?

It could be, and some do that.

The rest of your questions probably have numerous different answers depending on governmental jurisdictions.

markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 2,775

Samsung is one example of a company that has stopped producing cameras. I believe that they no longer offer any service for existing cameras, so I guess they carried on offering some support for 3 - 4 years after the announcement (or lack thereof)

I had some Samsung kit before finding out they were going under and then after the news I carried on buying as there were some great bargains to be had. The lenses will probably be good for a long time to come and when the camera bodies fail I'll try my best to source replacements. Once it becomes financially prohibitive to carry on I'll have to concede and move systems.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,598

Right to repair is a pretty new concept for household goods.     I don't know if any cameras are included.   Just washers, refrigerators, dryers in the EU for example

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49884827

Washers, dryers and fridges used to be designed to last a lot longer than they are now.   Legislation became helpful for us consumers.

If I remember correctly there were Nissan cars that were being rendered unusable after three years when fuel tank filler tubes were breaking and Nissan was not making any replacement parts.   So now there is legislation requiring car manufacturers continue making repair parts for some number of years after the last model is sold as new.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +23 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,052

Consuners should do their research to determine if a product is obsolete and support is no longer available.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Unus Forum Member • Posts: 50

What I want to know is how long NIkon supports its product in the US. They cracked down on 3rd party repairers the other day, so only they can repair the cameras.

-- hide signature --

I took...his stones.

WillF Regular Member • Posts: 291

I only know that with Canon it was about seven years after end of manufacture when  they told me "we don't service that model (S100) anymore"

-Will

Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 2,013

I'm sure availability of part varies by jurisdiction.

In California, I had a device repaired which was just under 7 years old. The way this was handled, I got the impression that it was California that mandated support for 7 years, but else where in the US, I might have been out of luck.

I've definitely heard 7 years with regard to California before. That would be 7 years from original sale to me.

I really wouldn't expect much past 4 or 5 years.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Unus Forum Member • Posts: 50

WillF wrote:

I only know that with Canon it was about seven years after end of manufacture when they told me "we don't service that model (S100) anymore"

-Will

How do they expect to stay in business with an attitude like that?

Just imagine if I took my 2013 Toyota in for service and they were like "sorry, we don't service that anymore." They would be sued out of existence.

-- hide signature --

I took...his stones.

Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 2,013

Unus wrote:

WillF wrote:

I only know that with Canon it was about seven years after end of manufacture when they told me "we don't service that model (S100) anymore"

-Will

Just imagine if I took my 2013 Toyota in for service and they were like "sorry, we don't service that anymore." They would be sued out of existence.

Servicing cars is a regular thing, a major profit centre, and generator of traffic to the dealer.  Totally different thing.

They want you to bring your 2013 in so they can try to sell you a 2020 instead. They can always rip you off with the service price if you don't buy the 2020. Either way, they win big.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,598

I once bought a Hewlett-Packard inkjet printer and when I called HP customer support to get it working the support technician exclaimed he couldn’t help me with it because the model was more than six months old. I ended up just throwing it away. Model 550C if I remember correctly. All it could do was print a test page Couldn’t communicate with a computer at all

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +23 more
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,973

rapick wrote:

Not really. Labor costs will almost certainly make it uneconomical to fix an old camera even if you have the parts, compared to just buying a generation or two newer model. OTOH, a camera like your D700 is cheap enough these days that you could just throw the broken one in the trash and keep shooting with its very cheap replacement which is what I do with my Samsung S7 phones now and I would do the same with my D800 (though I just spent $460 having my D800 disassembled, cleaned, and generally restored, which is still half of what replacing it would cost me).

-- hide signature --

Internet Interlocuter

rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419

WillF wrote:

-Will

It would be interesting to know if the owner of a let's say Canon EOS-1D X would receive the same reply...

-- hide signature --

Rapick

Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
rapick

sybersitizen wrote:

rapick wrote:

The rest of your questions probably have numerous different answers depending on governmental jurisdictions.

So you are suggesting that to have my 8 years old Nikon, Canon or Sony serviced / repaired depends on whether I live in Switzerland or Swaziland?

-- hide signature --

Rapick

rapick

HRC2016 wrote:

Consuners should do their research to determine if a product is obsolete and support is no longer available.

The problem is to know this information in advance, possibly before buying that product.

-- hide signature --

Rapick

Richrf
Richrf Contributing Member • Posts: 725

As a practical matter, I've run into manufacturers who simply don't respond, even if a product is technically under warranty. You just have to depend upon manufacturers with good track records to stand behind their products. But once they are gone, it's gone unless someone tries a class action lawsuit.

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 16,476

rapick wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

rapick wrote:

So you are suggesting that to have my 8 years old Nikon, Canon or Sony serviced / repaired depends on whether I live in Switzerland or Swaziland?

Of course. There are two separate factors; the first is that consumer rights are determined by each country (or, as in the European Community, by associations of countries) so whether you are entitled to free repairs depends on the country. The second is that regardless of legal rights the makers can choose to establish repair centres in places that are commercially worthwhile to them; and they don't choose to set them up everywhere.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

rapick

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I once bought a Hewlett-Packard inkjet printer and when I called HP customer support to get it working the support technician exclaimed he couldn’t help me with it because the model was more than six months old. I ended up just throwing it away. Model 550C if I remember correctly. All it could do was print a test page Couldn’t communicate with a computer at all

Hewlett-Packard used to be a serious brand, around 50 years ago: in 1985 they repaired (changed internal battery) my HP-21 'scientific' calculator, bought in 1975.

-- hide signature --

Rapick

WillF Regular Member • Posts: 291

Unus wrote:

WillF wrote:

-Will

It's worse than that, the S100 had "service advisory"* posted for manufacturing flaw many of them had.  *not a "recall", you had to wait till it failed before they'd fix it.  Mine failed as per the flaw, which is when I learned that didn't service it any more.  They did offer me 10% off a new camera as part of their "customer loyalty(stupidity) program"

What me, bitter?

-Will

Wingsfan
Wingsfan Regular Member • Posts: 349
No

My camera becomes obsolete when one of two things happens:

1. It breaks and is not repairable

2. My skills as a photographer exceed the capability of my camera

So far I have had #1 happen to me one time when the screen on my xz-2 cracked in half and it wasn't repairable and the camera was out of production.

and with regards to #2, I'll be dead long before that ever even comes close to happening

All kidding aside, regarding parts availability, it usually costs far more to fix an older camera then it would just to buy something more up-to-date.

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix 4100 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix S9100 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads