DSLR and lens for low light action

Started 3 months ago | Questions
BrokenPhotography Contributing Member • Posts: 558
Re: DSLR and lens for low light action

You sound as if you know what you're doing which is a good thing. My trouble with multiply range or zoom lenses is that I'm too use to fixed or prime lenses which forces me to walk around a bit more. It would be nice if the zoom lenses have a locking feature which would turn the zoom into a prime this way one could gain the the full range needed yet fix the lenses for these special events. if you're going manual focus, mark the lens at different intervals or lengths and be careful not to move the lens around too much while shooting this is one reason if you watch these types of events, semi-pro to pro photographers use fixed lenses on particular cameras. if you're shooting an indoor event, might be a good idea to scope out the location or one similar just to get a feel of what range you're needing. 85mm is a good range for portraits but ideal for sporting events. Also this would depending on where you're shooting from. if you're allowed to be around the outer edge of the court then 85mm should be enough. But I would hold 100mm just in case you're pushed back from the access areas of the court or pool. This could mean your whole setup would be wrong if the staff or host of the event limited your shooting range.

OP Cooper21 Forum Member • Posts: 70

This is why I'm thinking I'd prefer the 85mm fixed lens. I will have good access to the pool, up the the edge. I wish I could lock this 18 - 150mm to a fixed length too!

All I can do is try my best. There isn't anyone else with a decent camera to do this job, so... I am leaning towards a Nikon 5300 and a 85mm 1.8 lens. I think it would be pretty versatile and I can easily add different lenses. The Canon M series is very limited unless I buy an adapter.

appaws
appaws Forum Member • Posts: 59

I use a D5600 with the 50mm 1.8 to do HS basketball.  But I am able to get right up underneath the hoop, so that 75mm equivalence is enough reach for some pretty good shots.  I assume you can't get that close to swimming.

appaws's gear list:appaws's gear list
Sony a5100 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more
Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 1,894

Hi Cooper21

I just woke and can't stop thinking about my previous reply.

Canon EOS 40D Digital. used EX Condition $133.92 plus EF 85mm f/1.8 USM $299 total $432.99 under budget.

Or this lens: Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM Lens 9+ condition $398.95 total $532.87 within budget.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802085899-USE/canon_2518a003_ef_100mm_f_2_usm.html

Whichever you choose will be under or within budget.

In your testing yesterday is an 85mm enough reach? Or do you think a little more reach would be worth the extra $ ?

If it was me I would pick one of these to combinations and stay under or within budget.

Remember in my first reply before I knew your Rebel had issues I recommended keeping it and just get lenses.

Let me know your thoughts on the pictures taken with a 40D.

This websites review of the 40D.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d

Ps . I could not recommend the 100mm when you were considering the 7D it would have put way over budget even with the less expensive 7D you found.

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D
techie takes pics Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Key is in the lens

The key to all of this is the lens, not the camera. No camera can magically 'see' light that the lens simply did not transmit.

Buying a Nikon-system or a different camera means: Spending less on the lens.

Whatever you do, get a wider aperture.

Manual focus is a real option. I had a camera that simply could not focus fast enough on a moving subject. My solution: pre-set the focus and wait for the sportsman/woman to get there. Either time the shot right or shoot in burst. One of the burstshots will be in focus.

You can get some really nice shots that way.  It depends on what you are trying to photograph. 
I try to make a good picture at training so I get many retries. I am not shooting the Olympics where the photographer gets only one chance.

85mm is pretty short. Can you adapt vintage lenses? If so, a 135 f/2.8 or 200mm is dirt cheap. If you think autofocus can not keep up, you might as well settle for manual!

Other tips while sticking with your camera:

Lower the shutterspeed as slow as you can go. Sports is cool at 1/1000 but I simply can not afford it on my light-budget. I go down to 1/200 and I consider 1/320 as 'fast'. While it is not perfect, that is over 2 stops of light which I can spend on ISO.

Don't be afraid of high-ISO. Find out how much noise-reduction can help you. If 6400 ISO is acceptable, you have more options than at 1600.

I also use off-camera flash which I can use during training, not in matches.
But I get some really nice shots. Before I got an expensive remote flash I used 2 off camera flashes on optical trigger, and one on-camera. All of a sudden a smaller aperture isn't a problem. Got very nice results.
In a pool I would pack the flash units in a plastic bag and they would work fine.
I would probably even set one flash on optical trigger, put in a plastic box and sink it. Just because I can.

Be creative. Buy little but when you spend money: get the best lens.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

Thanks of your suggestions.

I shot with the M6 yesterday. They were dark, but I lightened/brightened them in photoshop and they will be okay for 5x7"s and 4x6"s, which is what these will be used for at this time.

The 100mm would be better, but I think I'm going to try the 85mm ...right now $269 at Best Buy. I can pick it up today. I will see at the store if my Rebel is compatible with it. I don't know if it will focus well, since I seem t be having some trouble with AF on the Rebel.

The only thing about the older Canons that you found is that they don't have video . If I'm going to buy another body, I want video I think. This will be our family camera, so it should be versatile. Our old Sony video cam is on it's way out too!

I also read that the older cameras don't have fast processing like the newer ones. Is this correct? And AF has improved too I believe.

This is what I was looking at to pair with the 85mm if my Rebel doesn't cut it.

https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201222397.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS6fPeuGrtfp7mK0yrPHzPZRZuo6QUHGLkBIYklycjoX_bxPPXqgNTRoC4gAQAvD_BwE

What do you think?

Re: Key is in the lens

I can get quite close for these meets., so I think the 85mm would would. I'm not sure if it will work for many other situations though because of the aperture. Portraits yes, but not sure what else.

How about this one?   https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201187826.html

I don't know what 75mm equivalent means?

I can get close to the action for swim meets. Ideally, I think I'd love a 135mm f2, but they're out of my range. Idid see a Canon 100mm f2 that would work.

I may try the 85mm 1.8 if it is returnable to Best Buy.

Cooper21 wrote:

The only thing about the older Canons that you found is that they don't have video . If I'm going to buy another body, I want video I think. This will be our family camera, so it should be versatile. Our old Sony video cam is on it's way out too!

I had no idea you needed a camera with video.

This is what I was looking at to pair with the 85mm if my Rebel doesn't cut it.

https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201222397.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS6fPeuGrtfp7mK0yrPHzPZRZuo6QUHGLkBIYklycjoX_bxPPXqgNTRoC4gAQAvD_BwE

What do you think?

I would get an explanation on what condition E- means.

Cooper21 wrote:

I can get quite close for these meets., so I think the 85mm would would. I'm not sure if it will work for many other situations though because of the aperture. Portraits yes, but not sure what else.

How about this one? https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201187826.html

No

How We Rate (This Item’s Condition:V)

"Barrel appears well used and may include dings, scrapes/scratches, heavy brassing. Lens glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality."

B&H condition 9+

"Preowned equipment that shows little to no signs of wear"

-- hide signature --

Norm

Yeah, I thought about it and we do need a new video recorder, so I figured I should look for one with video. Sorry...I'm a bit all over the place. I'm trying to do this in a week's time. Forum, research, reviews, pricing, used searches. It's crazy. I'm going to go to Best Buy and see if the 85mm works on my Rebel. They will take returns for a 15% restocking fee. Maybe its the user and not the Rebel that's really the problem 

Here is a shot from the M6...had to adjust it quite a bit.

Yikes, okay, got it. thanks

Cooper21 wrote:

??? Reread the Ken Rockwell review and check the pictures. Below each picture is the aperture.

Below one of the pictures he states the following.

"Canon 85mm f/1.8 at f/5.6. Looks as perfect as f/2.8."

-- hide signature --

Norm

Cooper21 wrote:

They will take returns for a 15% restocking fee. Maybe its the user and not the Rebel that's really the problem

That is strange I thought they had a 14 return policy. Double check I bought something this week and that is what I was told.

-- hide signature --

Norm

Okay, I skimmed it. He gave it a really good review.

Do you know how I would determine if it's compatible on my old Rebel?

I was told 14 days, but for cameras/lenses and appliances there is a restocking fee.

Cooper21 wrote:

I was told 14 days, but for cameras/lenses and appliances there is a restocking fee.

Bummer

-- hide signature --

Norm

What do you think of my shot?

Cooper21 wrote:

I don't know what 75mm equivalent means?

Nikon APS-C sensor and 1.5x crop factor 50mm = 75mm

Canon 1.6     50mm = 80mm

Your 85 = 127.5 on a Nikon  136mm on a canon

A full frame camera has no crop factor.

-- hide signature --

Norm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads