Which gimbal for A7R iii w 24-105?

Started Jan 10, 2020 | Questions
DBartell New Member • Posts: 8
Which gimbal for A7R iii w 24-105?

Can I get some advice for a gimbal that would work well for my A7R iii w a 24-105? I was in Costa Rica rappelling and wished I’d had smoother video capability. I read reviews for these but don’t know if they’re overkill. I’m  new to the forum so thanks for any help

DGI Ronin-SC
Zhiyun-Tech CRANE 3 LAB
Feiyu G6 Max

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Sony a7 Sony a7 III Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
voronspb
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,995
Re: Which gimbal for A7R iii w 24-105?

That looks like pretty much heavy camera setup for prolonged operation. I'd recommend considering only the gimbals with long two-handed handle (or with additional detachable handle extender). My camera setup is below 800 g (almost 2 times lighter than yours), and still I use the handle extender almost all the time.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +8 more
Alphaville Contributing Member • Posts: 525

The ronin S should handle the weight better than the SC, it has stronger motors.

simply amazing Junior Member • Posts: 26

I’m also in the market for a gimbal and narrowed it down to the zhiyun weebill s. As I was doing research on it, I’ve seen people using the a7riii with the 16-35GM on it successfully — which is heavier than the 24-105, albeit not by much. To top it off, the gimbal itself has a really small profile so it’s easier to pack and bring around

Reto B
Reto B Senior Member • Posts: 1,723

DBartell wrote:

Can I get some advice for a gimbal that would work well for my A7R iii w a 24-105? I was in Costa Rica rappelling and wished I’d had smoother video capability. I read reviews for these but don’t know if they’re overkill. I’m new to the forum so thanks for any help

DGI Ronin-SC
Zhiyun-Tech CRANE 3 LAB
Feiyu G6 Max

I used different gimbals before (larger one- and two-handed versions from Moza and Came-TV). Recently I bought the Zhiyun Webill S for my A7RIII. It is light, very compact, has strong motors and you can use both hands to hold it. I mainly use it with the 24 GM but I tested it with the 24-105 G as well and it worked fine. It even works well with the heavy 24-70 GM.

When balancing the Gimbal with the 24-105 make sure to extend the zoom half way out to make sure that you then can use all zoom levels without having to rebalance the gimbal.

The gimbal fits easily into my backpack in addition to camera and lenses which is perfect for traveling or hiking.

I'd recommend to get it with the image transmission module which adds many additional features besides transmitting the image wireless to the phone/tablet.

There are many videos on YouTube from people using it with all kinds of different lenses.

So far I'm happy with it. It's certainly the most compact and versatile gimbal I ever used.

-- hide signature --
 Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,000

Reto B wrote:

When balancing the Gimbal with the 24-105 make sure to extend the zoom half way out to make sure that you then can use all zoom levels without having to rebalance the gimbal.

Thank you for this tip.  I've been kind of holding off on using my Moza gimbal until I could bring myself to get some primes because I didn't think it would be acceptable to zoom it at all after balancing, but it sounds like if you balance for the midrange, the extremes are acceptable with this lens?

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Reto B

Entropy512 wrote:

Reto B wrote:

Thank you for this tip. I've been kind of holding off on using my Moza gimbal until I could bring myself to get some primes because I didn't think it would be acceptable to zoom it at all after balancing, but it sounds like if you balance for the midrange, the extremes are acceptable with this lens?

It depends on the strength of the motors. With the Weebil S it works for the full range with the 24-105 (and I even had a 95 mm VND with step up rings on it which adds weight). I didn't have stutters and the motors kept silent. But I never was able to do it with my Moza Light because the motors were too weak.

For smooth footage with weaker motors one could also limit the zoom range used a little, like to 24-60 for example, and balance for that in the midrange. Experiment how much your gimbal can take without too much stress on the motors.

However, the longer the focal length the more demanding it becomes to handle the gimbal very smoothly because movements become more visible. Therefore 24-60 or 70 is a good choice of range even if the motors are strong enough for more.

What can also help to keep the balance when extending the zoom is to draw out the display on the camera which gives more weight to the back and thus it stays more balanced and stresses the motors less.

I'm still experimenting and learning to get out the best of the Weebil S in different configurations. But it's definitely the best gimbal that I have ever used so far.

-- hide signature --
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
Yarnim Forum Member • Posts: 89

do you have a link for the image transmission module?

Yarnim's gear list:Yarnim's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +10 more
Reto B

Yarnim wrote:

do you have a link for the image transmission module?

Since it is not available in Switzerland at the moment I ordered mine from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000360232142.html

It should arrive in the next 10 days.

-- hide signature --
voronspb

Reto B wrote:

It depends on the strength of the motors. With the Weebil S it works for the full range with the 24-105 (and I even had a 95 mm VND with step up rings on it which adds weight). I didn't have stutters and the motors kept silent. But I never was able to do it with my Moza Light because the motors were too weak.

For smooth footage with weaker motors one could also limit the zoom range used a little, like to 24-60 for example, and balance for that in the midrange. Experiment how much your gimbal can take without too much stress on the motors.

For more or less serious video shooting using the lens with internal zoom or, better, power zoom is more advisable. In the latter case it may be possible to control zoom directly from the gimbal! There's a lot of PZ lenses in E-mount (starting right from 16-50PZ), all of them can be used on FF camera.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov
«Often the difference between a good and a bad sample of the same lens is bigger than that between two different lenses» — Bastian K.

Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +8 more
Mr_Win Contributing Member • Posts: 976

DBartell wrote:

Can I get some advice for a gimbal that would work well for my A7R iii w a 24-105? I was in Costa Rica rappelling and wished I’d had smoother video capability. I read reviews for these but don’t know if they’re overkill. I’m new to the forum so thanks for any help

DGI Ronin-SC
Zhiyun-Tech CRANE 3 LAB
Feiyu G6 Max

if this is your first gimbal, you may have instant regret.

best to work your way up with a smaller setup if possible, then getting the bare minimum gimbal.... at least that's my opinion.  Gimbals are bulky, heavy, and setup time is somewhat slow..... and I'm using one of the smaller ones, the Weebill.

you should even consider something like the osmo pocket, strictly for your moving shots.

my particular gimbal setup, if I even bring it, is the weebill + A7 + 17-28 f2.8 tamron, perfect for gimbal shooting.  Once you get to the bigger lenses, you run into issues exponentially faster fyi.

voronspb

Mr_Win wrote:

best to work your way up with a smaller setup if possible, then getting the bare minimum gimbal.... at least that's my opinion. Gimbals are bulky, heavy, and setup time is somewhat slow..... and I'm using one of the smaller ones, the Weebill.

Fully agreed. I'm really happy with compact Feiyu G6 Plus and sub-800 g camera: either A6500 with 16-50PZ or sometimes FE28/2 (with external mic), or alternatively A7III with 16-50PZ.

For 8 MP (at best) moving picture shot at 1/60...1/125 s you don't really need FF and fast lenses which resolve over 40 MP.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov
«Often the difference between a good and a bad sample of the same lens is bigger than that between two different lenses» — Bastian K.

OP DBartell New Member • Posts: 8

Terrific and helpful input. Thanks to all

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads