Quality YouTube channels?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
5inn Forum Member • Posts: 60
Quality YouTube channels?

I usually turn to YouTube when looking for reviews and news for other things besides photography.

I have yet to discover many really good photography focused YouTube channels. I find the DPReviewTV one really good. Chris and Jordan have good chemistry and the content is usually interesting. I tend to enjoy how each review is both a review and also a little photo walk where we see video of shots being taken and then the actual shot on screen with settings. I also enjoyed the few retro videos they did recently.

What other good YouTube channels do you recommend subscribing to? Links would be great!

5inn's gear list:5inn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
TheSloth
TheSloth Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Quality YouTube channels?

I realize that your question is about specific YouTube channels, but let me chime in because I do spend a l-o-t of time in front of YouTube, watching all manner of content (woodworking, cooking, photography, Fujifilm related, etc.).

I normally subscribe to all the results from a cursory search, and over a period of binge watching, unsubscribe many of them that aren't to my liking. Some content makers do make suggestions to look into other channels and overall these recommendations have turned out good. Despite that, most "lists" (or compilations) of recommended channels have turned out to be crap and a waste of time for me.

Unfortunately, DPReviewTV channel is one of those that I've tended to ignore, for the most part.

Oh, yes, YouTube played a big part in two of my recent big-ticket photographic gear purchases. And since I'm (finally) getting into post processing, I'm learning a lot of stuff that I never knew existed.

-- hide signature --

Buying crap off Amazon since 2005.

TheSloth's gear list:TheSloth's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 548

Channels I subscribed to and found helpful:

The Art of Photography

DSLR Video shooter

pal2tech

Gerald Undone

Armando Ferriera

Fuji Guys

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | Fujifilm X-E3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | XF18-55mmF2.8-4 | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Photo Mad New Member • Posts: 5

I don't post much, try these channels

Peter McKinnon

Matti Happoja

Chris Hau

Photo Mad's gear list:Photo Mad's gear list
Nikon D810 Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

Along with those already mentioned, here are a few more:

Anthony Morganti

Thomas Heaton

Andy Mumford

Brian Matiash

The Capture One Pro channel

...and if you care to witness something non-photographically, but musically, amazingly obsessive, take a look at "Wintergatan" .

There are others, but there is only so much time in the day.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,661

I tend to like straight to the point videos... so you may or may not like them.

Surprised none of these have been mentioned yet:

I like Christopher Frost (kind of technical)

and

Mattias Burling (usually throws in photos of his French bulldog)

for a little more flair maybe Denae and Andrew (good pro experience, lots of Fuji kit)

Good practical advice, Omar Gonzalez (fun guy, goes to cool places)

And for just weird entertainment... Kai W... he's one of the OG's for sure.

YouTubers I don't like:

Angry Photographer

Fro Knows Photo

both too arrogant for my taste and ramble on.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
wouterv Contributing Member • Posts: 592

Apart from some already mentioned, I like these channels (some Fuji-focused, other straying into other fields of photography):

Sean Tucker

Willem Verbeeck

Evan Ranft

Samuel L. Streetlife

Matt Day

Palle Schultz

wouterv's gear list:wouterv's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Ralph Lemarechal
Ralph Lemarechal Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Mine ;-)

Half kidding, with one new video and close to 0 experience ...
That said, I'm curious to read what makes people go back to a chanel again and again. Quality in itself has so little and so much meaning at the same time.
Anyhow, I will follow that thread as I might learn how to improve my baby chanel.

Just in case, if you are into street photography ( current video shot with X-pro3, but next video will show pictures taken with X-Pro3 too, not just the video).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtaBbmznFPAMYYIlEeS6TPQ

Ralph Lemarechal's gear list:Ralph Lemarechal's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro3
technotic Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Theoria Apophasis

Fro Knows Photo .com (see yah)

Tony Northrup (and the gorgeous Chelsea)

You can't go wrong with these channels.

guitarjeff
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,633

The one and only, Ken Wheeler, lots of good info if you wade through. Tons of lens stuff, good reviews of Fuji cameras and lenses, practical stuff like sensor cleaning, best vid on YT showing a cleaning, up close and easy to see. I find him funny and self-deprecating, but the nuggets of good info are there a plenty.

I like Jim Nix and The art of Photography because they do a lot of Luminar and Topaz stuff. I have gotten to really like Topaz plugs over the years. I got Luminar 4 as a gift for my biryhday in November and I just love it too.

There are always new ones popping up.

What I don't like is having to sit through am amateur comedy act with some of them. Many of them just take the comedy overboard when I just want good info. I actually subscribed to one and thanked him for not making me sit through a comedy routine, it was refreshing.

Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

technotic wrote:

Theoria Apophasis

...and the fuse is lit.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
S9k Forum Member • Posts: 70

Hello

Beside already mentioned channels, I like and recommend Omar Gonzalez Photography channel.

-- hide signature --

Regards

S9k's gear list:S9k's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,950

technotic wrote:

Theoria Apophasis

:-))))

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +6 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,661

Len-O wrote:

technotic wrote:

Theoria Apophasis

...and the fuse is lit.

Lol I almost added tony and Chelsea to my ones I don’t like list... was being nice, but this would make my trio of those... just shows people have diff opinions.

If I said I enjoyed watching stranger things, surely somebody would say they enjoy real housewives  so... yeah.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8
Pete Takes Pictures
Pete Takes Pictures Junior Member • Posts: 34

Good question, buddy. There are a lot of photography gear channels, but remarkably few channels about process. Even my beloved Art of Photography has drifted more towards gear reviews, though there's still good to be found on that channel.

For what you're after I fear Angry Photographer, Northrup and FroKnow are fairly useless. I cannot recall even having ever seen a photo by Ken Wheeler. They're good at summarising spec sheets and roughly comparing autofocus speeds, but that's about it.

But there is good stuff out there!

In the specifically Fujifilm world Stockezy is probably the best street photographer going on YouTube. He's transferred a bit to Leica but he's definitely still worth watching and still does Fuji. He has a great Instagram feed too.

Ben Bond is a promising young African photographer who does a lot of urban / outdoor fashion shoots, usually with X-E2s. Gets the results, and proves you don't need the latest and greatest tech.

Kevin Mullins is a Fujifilm X Photographer and has a lot of useful videos, especially on wedding photography,  post processing and Fuji cameras.

NegativeFeedback is the best in the film photography world. I like his style on camera too, quiet, self-effacing, gets to the point. He's not Fuji-X but he's well worth watching.

Aperture Books have lots of little videos that will point you in the direction of great photographers, and the odd lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvAytXgNgElmXmCh9FQ_BeEiaxE9C7k-t

If you want to learn about the history, philosophy and practice of street photography then Joel Meyerowitz is your man. He doesn't have a channel but he's on a lot of videos floating about. Watch them all, he's one of the great teachers, a Magnum photographer and a great talent. This is my favourite video by him:

https://youtu.be/KDSGWy1CU78

Searching for videos about William Eggleston is worthwhile. Along with Saul Leiter and Ernst Haas one of the grest pioneers of colour photography as art. Here's an hour long BBC Imagine documentary which follows his past and present:

https://youtu.be/gGR6_H-G17c

For my money one of the greatest photographers who ever lived is Mary Ellen Mark. Her reportage portraits just floor me. Every one of her photographs makes me feel.

https://youtu.be/Mwtw_YYv99Q

Stacey Kranitz is one of the best working currently. Uses a phone for her photos of Appalachian people, and proves that access is more important than cameras. Her photos are unsharp, seemingly ad hoc, off the cuff. As an expanding body of work revealing the soul of breadline America, they're incredible. Not many videos on her, but her Instagram is a must. (Met her too, she looks so out of place and open and yet is so stealthy. Remarkable woman)

https://youtu.be/3BL2cQPs0_8

William Klein, the great New York fashion / street photographer, has a great one hour documentary on his life here: https://youtu.be/JnN9LMvjM7Y

There's tons of good stuff in the Genius of Photography playlist. One frustrating thing about photography documentary videos on YouTube is that they keep disappearing, so get in there fast: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL88AE4F2AC32C6FCD

Finally if you have any interest i street photography at all I strongly, strongly recommend watching 'Everybody Street'. The best street photography documentary film ever made. https://youtu.be/XSG2dHa9ldI

In fact buy a copy, reward them.

That's enough for now, I'll post more later if you like!

Pete Takes Pictures's gear list:Pete Takes Pictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Pete Takes Pictures
Pete Takes Pictures Junior Member • Posts: 34

Oops, just realised I hilariously misread your email as that you were looking for photography videos that WEREN'T review videos and then proceeded to write a novel on it.

Um, for quality reviewers of Fuji stuff who don't annoy me, Stockezy again for sure, Art of Photography, Galan Bajan repwats himself now and again but is a talented fella and Denae & Andrew. Gerald Undone and Evan Raft aren't bad either.

Camera Conspiracies is, as ever, hilarious.

If you'd still like me to post more photography documentaries, let me know.

Pete Takes Pictures's gear list:Pete Takes Pictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Grumpyrocker
Grumpyrocker Contributing Member • Posts: 837

Obviously Chris and Jordan, been watching them for years.

Current favourite channel is James Popsys. I like his style and humour.

Used to watch a lot of Thomas Heaton, but his "walk all day, press the shutter once, walk back" approach to photography is so alien to how I enjoy the hobby that I can't watch his channel anymore.

Grumpyrocker's gear list:Grumpyrocker's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Canon PowerShot S120 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
R_U_Q_R_U
R_U_Q_R_U Contributing Member • Posts: 932

wouterv wrote:

Apart from some already mentioned, I like these channels (some Fuji-focused, other straying into other fields of photography):

Sean Tucker

Willem Verbeeck

Evan Ranft

Samuel L. Streetlife

Matt Day

Palle Schultz

Sean Tucker is one of the best IMO. He is very thoughtful, positive and encouraging of photographers.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

R_U_Q_R_U's gear list:R_U_Q_R_U's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X100V +10 more
ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,319

Sean Tucker has a really good YouTube channel about photography.

https://www.youtube.com/user/seantuckermerge

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.
I’m not hung up on the Bokeh fad because I’m too busy chasing shadows.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,144

Currently enjoying Sean Tucker's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_43mQmHwHPTBBqImFrWU3Q

Example of an outstanding video:

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads