G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Winmeister
Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
11

I used HiRes Mode 2 quite a lot during my holidays recently and I was quite amazed. I used shift lense, in these example I manual focused with Nikon 18-35mm lens.

I was amazed with the boat photo. When I zoomed for focus peaking BEFORE I took the shot, the boat was moving up and down slowly, as you can see from the water ripples. So, it's not still. I was convinced that HiRes mode wasn't going to work, I took it anyway and came out amazingly well. Tripod was used.

G9 is great travelling camera and MOST of the photos that I used with shift lens or HiRes mode 2, I can happily print to A0 size. PLEASE note that for boat photo, I haven't sharpened or post processed yet. So, it will be better than as you see. I am NOT sure it's 80Mps worth of pixels but I will say that scaled back to 40Mps of A7Riii, I think the IQ will be almost same. Either way, making big prints of these photos will be no problem.

For sure EM1.2 HiRes mode will not work as well as G9 (speaking from my past experience) and Mode 2 (reducing motion blur) is quite amazing.

scaled to 25% of HiRes pic.

100% cropped Right lower corner

100% middle of picture

Scaled to 25% of this boat. No post sharpening yet.

100% cropped middle of the frame.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
danieljcox
danieljcox Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
3

These examples look spectacular. Great to see this working so well.

-- hide signature --

Daniel J. Cox
www.naturalexposures.com/corkboard

 danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +15 more
Bassaidai Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
2

Great set of images - HighRes mode is actually the main reason why I switched from GH5 to G9. Also now that the video capabilities have very much caught up.

Problem is: am I the only person seeing this strange diagonal sawtooth regular patterns in the HighRes shots? Like in "100% cropped lower Right corner" image???

Same applies to here .

I find those patterns highly destracting. Especially when printing A0 they WILL be visible in a viewing distance to appreciate the degree of detail. Whats happening here?

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

 Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +8 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
2

Bassaidai wrote:

Great set of images - HighRes mode is actually the main reason why I switched from GH5 to G9. Also now that the video capabilities have very much caught up.

Problem is: am I the only person seeing this strange diagonal sawtooth regular patterns in the HighRes shots? Like in "100% cropped lower Right corner" image???

Same applies to here .

I find those patterns highly destracting. Especially when printing A0 they WILL be visible in a viewing distance to appreciate the degree of detail. Whats happening here?

Thank for point out and yes there are some edges but the 100% crop, I just did screen shot (a little short of time this morning) but to help see the real scale of this, now I took my original 80MPs HiRes image and cropped to A0 size which reduces image to 76MPs ( ratio is 1.414:1 at 221ppi) and I then cropped the lower right corner as A4 size.

This is what it will look if you print A4 at 221ppi. Looks worse at 100% on screen then if printed out.

Cropped to A4 of lower right corner. Resolution is 221ppi. I think the sawtooth edges are not so noticeable now.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

danieljcox wrote:

These examples look spectacular. Great to see this working so well.

Thanks. Maybe lots of Panasonic shooters are into videos spec that this HiRes mode 2 goes unnoticed. My EM1.2 HiRes isn't anywhere near as G9 and I hope with next FW updates, EM1.2 can catch up. But, G9 has been great for my photography and very light to travel with.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Heinrik New Member • Posts: 20
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Winmeister wrote:

I used HiRes Mode 2 quite a lot during my holidays recently and I was quite amazed. I used shift lense, in these example I manual focused with Nikon 18-35mm lens.

I was amazed with the boat photo. When I zoomed for focus peaking BEFORE I took the shot, the boat was moving up and down slowly, as you can see from the water ripples. So, it's not still. I was convinced that HiRes mode wasn't going to work, I took it anyway and came out amazingly well. Tripod was used.

100% cropped middle of the frame.

Great images and it looks like you achieved a good resolution. Thanks for posting! I am very interested in this function as I think it should be great for landscape photography. However, I am still trying to understand how in a High Res Picture they could possibly prevent motion blur of a moving subject such as your rocking boat. I understand that Mode 2 works similar as 'Photo Merge to HDR' in Lightroom by comparing the set of images and only selecting one image (part of that image) if (where) subject movement occurs. In accordance with that the updated Manual of the G9 says that Mode 2 "reduces afterimage from subject blur, but cannot obtain the same High Resolution Mode effect in the corrected range." This would suggest that the cropped part of the image you show is NOT High Resolution Mode but a single exposure. The non moving background on the full image, however, should be in high resolution. Is there any way for you to find out?

Thanks, Thomas

SonyX
SonyX Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Winmeister wrote:

I used HiRes Mode 2 quite a lot during my holidays recently and I was quite amazed. I used shift lense, in these example I manual focused with Nikon 18-35mm lens.

I would recommend to use native lenses stopped down for HR mode. Even P 25/1.7 is not good enough for HR mode.
to get rid of artefacts, you can use extra layer from single shot, upscaled, similar to what Mode 2 awkwardly tries to achieve.
With sharp lenses and steady tripod you will easily get resolution similar to 45mp FF
 -- Alex
http://www.instagram.com/alex_cy

 SonyX's gear list:SonyX's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

SonyX wrote:

Winmeister wrote:

I used HiRes Mode 2 quite a lot during my holidays recently and I was quite amazed. I used shift lense, in these example I manual focused with Nikon 18-35mm lens.

I would recommend to use native lenses stopped down for HR mode. Even P 25/1.7 is not good enough for HR mode.
to get rid of artefacts, you can use extra layer from single shot, upscaled, similar to what Mode 2 awkwardly tries to achieve.
With sharp lenses and steady tripod you will easily get resolution similar to 45mp FF
-- Alex
http://www.instagram.com/alex_cy

Yes makes sense, but I didn't take native lens during the holiday. Only 3 x adapted lenses.

To be honest, I am happy to print big some of the HiRes pics I took during the holiday.

MFT is definitely NOT DEAD! I own and shoot other formats to know first hand!

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
SonyX
SonyX Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Winmeister wrote:

To be honest, I am happy to print big some of the HiRes pics I took during the holiday.

do you have single RAW photo for comparison?

-- hide signature --
 SonyX's gear list:SonyX's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Bassaidai Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
1

Yes, I understand and I fully agree: scaled to A4 in 221ppi the image or print will for sure be smooth.

Its just: for an A4 221ppi print there is no need for HighRes shots anymore. Ot at least: WAY less justification for a HighRes shot considering the drawbacks that comes with it: limited exposure time, limited ISO, standard resolution on moving parts (mode 2, otherwise ghost effects @ mode 1), mandatory use of tripod (except E1X), mandatory use of e-shutter, considerably higher demands on lens quality/sharpness and potential sawtooth artefacts in the merged result.

80MP is supposed to be used for LARGE prints or very large displays. And I don't mean fullscreen 27" Apple high resolution screen, which will probably be 4k native in width. Maybe 5k. Thats whats already covered by the standard 20 megapixel resolution files. There is (almost) no visible gain in displaying a 10k pixel image on a 4k pixel wide screen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to use the HighRes shot option way more often on my own G9 - I just haven't yet figured out how to safely avoid the artefacts.

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

 Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +8 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
1

SonyX wrote:

Winmeister wrote:

To be honest, I am happy to print big some of the HiRes pics I took during the holiday.

do you have single RAW photo for comparison?

I am sure I have but my computer is now packed as I am about to fly out for business trip. I will try to dig out in coming days.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Bassaidai wrote:

Yes, I understand and I fully agree: scaled to A4 in 221ppi the image or print will for sure be smooth.

Its just: for an A4 221ppi print there is no need for HighRes shots anymore. Ot at least: WAY less justification for a HighRes shot considering the drawbacks that comes with it: limited exposure time, limited ISO, standard resolution on moving parts (mode 2, otherwise ghost effects @ mode 1), mandatory use of tripod (except E1X), mandatory use of e-shutter, considerably higher demands on lens quality/sharpness and potential sawtooth artefacts in the merged result.

80MP is supposed to be used for LARGE prints or very large displays. And I don't mean fullscreen 27" Apple high resolution screen, which will probably be 4k native in width. Maybe 5k. Thats whats already covered by the standard 20 megapixel resolution files. There is (almost) no visible gain in displaying a 10k pixel image on a 4k pixel wide screen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to use the HighRes shot option way more often on my own G9 - I just haven't yet figured out how to safely avoid the artefacts.

I have a few family properties and I do large landscape prints to decorate the walls with my photography. Also, it's the technical challenge that I enjoy and technology of camera brands. Even if I own large Nikon and Sony cameras, I like to support 'the little guy', i.e. MFT system, as he tries to punch above his weight to compete again 'big FF boys'.

HiRes modes needs quite specific scenery to work well, and I happened to have holiday where it was appropriate to try and I hope I did do G9 justice. I have other HiRes photos that came out beautiful and I am quite relaxed about 'artifacts' as long as these are not near foreground and you will not notice in 80Mps HiRes shots.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
SonyX
SonyX Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Bassaidai wrote:

potential sawtooth artefacts in the merged result

only if your camera is not steady or moving subjects, otherwise, no artefacts
--
Alex
http://www.instagram.com/alex_cy

 SonyX's gear list:SonyX's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

Do you have the latest FW on your EM-1.2?

 EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

EZGritz wrote:

Do you have the latest FW on your EM-1.2?

Yes I have. I have updated to latest FW on all my MFT, Fuji and Sony. I dont bother with Nikon.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
2

I accept your opinion that Panny does HRM better than OLY. I hope OLY catches up. I like HRM.

 EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +8 more
carlgorski Contributing Member • Posts: 861
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

I find the 40MP high Res to be better. I compared to my S1R and it was close but not as good. Plus S1R has high Rez mode that is insane. Love my G9 and wont sell it.

SonyX
SonyX Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0
1

carlgorski wrote:

I find the 40MP high Res to be better. I compared to my S1R and it was close but not as good. Plus S1R has high Rez mode that is insane. Love my G9 and wont sell it.

RAW is always 80mp, only JPG file is saved at 40mp.

Nikon D850+35/1.4 and G9 +16/1.4 HRM, center/side
-
Alex
http://www.instagram.com/alex_cy

 SonyX's gear list:SonyX's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Winmeister
OP Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: G9 HighRes Mode 2 with FW2.0

SonyX wrote:

carlgorski wrote:

I find the 40MP high Res to be better. I compared to my S1R and it was close but not as good. Plus S1R has high Rez mode that is insane. Love my G9 and wont sell it.

RAW is always 80mp, only JPG file is saved at 40mp.

Nikon D850+35/1.4 and G9 +16/1.4 HRM, center/side
-
Alex
http://www.instagram.com/alex_cy

Nice comparison. On scene like this HiRes mode can compete well with larger cameras. Except pixels peeping at 300 to 400%. Large prints are mostly OK for selected pictures.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads