Cheap lens for the gh5 autofocus features

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Marty32 New Member • Posts: 14
Cheap lens for the gh5 autofocus features

Good morning everyone, I just ordered a gh5 and I'm looking for a cheap lens that would let me take advantage of the gh5 autofocus features. I've been looking for that in google but as often results are too general, all I find is "best lens for gh5", stuff like that.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,586
Re: Cheap lens for the gh5 autofocus features

Any native M43 lenses from either Panasonic or Olympus.

A good news is that the consumer grade low cost lenses of Panasonic (non Leica versions) are nearly as good as their more costly siblings or prime lenses. On AF speed, accuracy to IQ...

Panasonic lenses (the DUAL IS compaible ones) can maximize the DUAL IS of GH5, which is generally 1~1.5 stops better than the best OIS on lenses (but is not really very noticeable in real life IMHO), and faster AF speed because of DFD (Panasonic lens only).

If you have video in mind ( a reason to use GH5 instead of G9?), the pair of power zoom lenses should be considered. I.e., 14~42PZ and 45~175PZ. Otherwise, might try the 12~60 (non Leica f/3.5 or Leica f/2.8 version) as a general walking around lens as start.

Then upon your special need, e.g. fast speed prime lens for low lighting or background blur, a tiny 12~32 for compact setup, a 8~18 for ultta wide angle, 50~200, 200, 300 or 100~400 for long reaching, a 14~140 as a low coat all-in-one solution, or the pro 12~100 from Olympus... Or the traditional interchangeable set up of 12~35 f/2.8 + 35~100 f/2.8 or 12~40 f/2.8 + 45~150 f/2.8 from Olympus etc...

A lot of options on various purpose, various application and price point. No matter what you can never go wrong.

Happy shooting

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 1,258

No need to search lenses only for the GH5. All auto focusing lenses for Micro Four Thirds will fit it. If you want inexpensive, look for a used kit lens (e.g. 12-32, 14-42). If you want new then the cheapest I know of is the Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6 for $99. Probably too long but you only said "cheap" without explaining what lenses you have or what you intend to use the lens for.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
jrharvey592 Regular Member • Posts: 264

Marty32 wrote:

Good morning everyone, I just ordered a gh5 and I'm looking for a cheap lens that would let me take advantage of the gh5 autofocus features. I've been looking for that in google but as often results are too general, all I find is "best lens for gh5", stuff like that.

For pictures or video? Very important depending on your answer.

Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Senior Member • Posts: 3,775

check in the Panasonic section for lens details

Panasonic would be the preferred brand for items such as dfd.

top likely cheapest are the 14-42

45-150

12-32

12-60

or 25mm 1.7 prime

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
OP Marty32 New Member • Posts: 14

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

It's only for video, not for photo.

Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,572

Marty32 wrote:

Cheap lens for video? you can use any electric zoom 'kit'lens available for the mft. Oly 14-42EZ maybe a starting point.

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +23 more
uncle dunc Contributing Member • Posts: 993

For video, I'd try for the Panasonic 14-140, which you could probably find used at KEH for under $400. If you'll be shooting in low light, you'll want lower F stops. Getting a zoom lens with low F stops will be expensive. Getting used prime lenses won't be, but then you lose your zooming. You can still zoom in the video editor if you shoot 4k and edit in a 1080p timeline. A 4k image in a 1080p timeline contains the equivalent of four 1080p images, which gives you lots of leeway for cropping and zooming.

If your goal is AF for video, Panasonic has the worst AF of any of the manufacturers. The latest firmware update (released mid-November) helps, but it's still not 100% reliable. For that, you'd use a combination of manual focus and AF via the touchscreen, or the AF/AE button on the back of the camera. (Google back button AF.)

With panasonic, you can turn on focus peaking in manual focus mode, and when you AF via the touch screen or the back button, you can watch as the focus peaking shows you what's in focus. Whenever your subject moves, you can push the AF button again, or follow the subject using the focus ring.

If you set the camera to AF-C mode, (auto focus continuous) you have no control over what it's going to focus on, other than the focus box, or the other AF settings for face tracking and such. That's why many pro videographers use manual focus most of the time - they can't afford to go the the client and say "Sorry, my camera accidentally focused on the background. You're going to have to redo your wedding."

uncle dunc's gear list:uncle dunc's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 YI 4K Action Camera +13 more

It's my first ever camera so I don't know if I would be any good at manual zooming.

secretworld Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

You need advice from someone who is doing what you want to do. So be specific. Indoor/outdoor filming. Type of movies. Static or moving etc etc.

Only one thing I know, a fast (large aperture)  lens will get a more filmic look (if you want that). So cheap would be the 25mm f1.7.

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
alcelc

Marty32 wrote:

It's my first ever camera so I don't know if I would be any good at manual zooming.

Manual zoom lens, just twist the zoom ring on the lens to the desired framing (you can see it on evf or ovf or on LCD). As simple as that.

I personally prefer manual zoom lens since the zooming speed can be under my control. I can do it quick, e.g. twist the zoom ring from the wide end to the long end in one go, or on tiny steps as slow as I want.

On the contrary, a power zoom lens (most compact camera), would need a period of learning and accustoming to it before I can control it as precise as I can on manual zoom.

But in case you do video, the sound from manual zooming could be recorded by the camera that can spoil the audio. Manual zoom also might not be as smooth on the zooming effect as power zoom lens. Hence on my 1st response I suggested the 2 power zoom lenses in case video is important to you.

Nevertheless, 14~140 is a incredible high quality all-in-one lens solution which can reduce a lot of swapping lenses requirement, and has IQ close to the more expansive premium class lenses, zoom or prime lens. My wife loves this lens.

As you are looking for the first camera, GH5 etc pro class models could mean harder to learn and master. I suspect would you shoot video in manual or semi-auto mode, not to mention the pro class video features of GH5.

As more pro class the gear, it would need more skill from the shooter to get the best from it.

A FZ1000 or FZ2500 might be easier as a first time camera. They has a sensor just a step smaller than GH5, has reasonably good IQ, full pack of modern day features, has a lenses covering majority of general shooting needs, 4K ready and can be used either automatically or 4K on full manual control for future growth of this craft...

-- hide signature --

Albert

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
jrharvey592 Regular Member • Posts: 264
Just because it does autofocus doesnt mean you should

Marty32 wrote:

I have the G9 which is only slightly better AF and although both have many firmware updates since being released I wouldnt trust most panasonic made lenses for paid video work. Ironically the absolute best autofocusing lenses I have used is the Sigma 16 and 30mm prime. It boggles my mind that this could be true but based on all my testing I have a theory. Panasonic glass is just too fast for its own good in video. Pretty much all of them pulsate and rapidly switch focus. Since the AF is contrast based it means you can see a rapid wobble in the background. My theory is that the sigma lenses are so slow to focus that it smooths out those movements and you dont see that wobble or hunting. I actually trust these lenses quite a bit. Still would not use it for paid work where a subject is standing still EX: Weddings but if I need autofocus it seems to be the most pleasing to the eye.

alcelc
Re: Just because it does autofocus doesnt mean you should

jrharvey592 wrote:

Marty32 wrote:

I have the G9 which is only slightly better AF and although both have many firmware updates since being released I wouldnt trust most panasonic made lenses for paid video work. Ironically the absolute best autofocusing lenses I have used is the Sigma 16 and 30mm prime. It boggles my mind that this could be true but based on all my testing I have a theory. Panasonic glass is just too fast for its own good in video. Pretty much all of them pulsate and rapidly switch focus. Since the AF is contrast based it means you can see a rapid wobble in the background. My theory is that the sigma lenses are so slow to focus that it smooths out those movements and you dont see that wobble or hunting. I actually trust these lenses quite a bit. Still would not use it for paid work where a subject is standing still EX: Weddings but if I need autofocus it seems to be the most pleasing to the eye.

I set -1 to the AF sensitivity of G85 which can produce steady and smooth 4K video on the panny lenses I have... Might be I do very slow panning most of the time on quite steady object (interior decoration of room or landscape) such that wobbling was not very observable.

-- hide signature --

Albert

Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,696
Pro camera, first lens

WOW! You have just ordered a pro camera for your first camera! That's not to say you have made a wrong decision, but you'll have a lot to learn - start from the simple things and basic use. You'll have a camera for years!

For the first lens I suggest something from the range (12)-14 ->35- 40 - (60) - (150)mm.

With the superzooms like 14-150mm or even 12-200mm you can try and practice several different styles of photography and videography  from landscapes to portraits and wildlife. Image quality-wise they are not the best of the best lenses, but very good anyway. After you find out what you really will be doing with your camera you know better what you'll really need - is it wider, faster or longer. And that superzoom will serve you well in travel photography and a backup lens that time.

The body choice shows you are not after the most compact or cheapest system. So an option for that superzoom might be either the Oly 12-100mm F4 or Pana 12-35mm + Pana 35-100mm F2.8 lenses. All pro-grade and every way excellent lenses. Other options from that quality now are the  Oly 12-40mm + 40-150mm F2.8 and PanaLeica 12-60mm F2.8-4. Remember, You can have autofocus lenses for that camera from Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma and Tamron at this point - they all work. With Sigma and Tamron, check that the lens is made for m4/3 format (Olympus/Panasonic, MTF or some other marking meaning the same).

Remember, photography is much more than the equipment you use. There is a lot to learn, and nobody gets 100% keepers and masterpieces all the time, what ever they use!

Cheers!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
https://www.instagram.com/jouko.k.lehto/
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/ - Lenses for mFT-cameras
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/2015/12/what-to-dowith-camera-during-winter.html

Thank you all! That's quite a bit of information to process when you don't know anything about lenses. I just got the camera two days ago, used it with a manual lens, and indeed manual focus doesn't seem hard. I will be shooting music videos, so no worries about manual focus noise.

The price too was kind of "professional", I wanted very much the stabilization and the slow motion, so I went far out of my budget to get the camera. Now I don't even dare to touch it, seems heavy and fragile.

alcelc

GH5 is for very serious video shooting. If you do not need the pro features, it could become a burden instead. Iis not for every one.

A reason I recommend the lower spec G85/95 which are designed for more causal shooting...

-- hide signature --

Albert

Actually the size and weigh are fine, also I'm not new at all to video editing, I have a good computer, the only thing that seem excessive are the 6 k and the extreme bit rates. But it also means it's future proof to some extent.

What I meant is that it's pricey, so I'm afraid to break it. It's like having a Ferrari or something. The positive thing is that the camera will probably be worth no more than a few hundred bucks in 5 years or so, so I shouldn't be afraid to use it.

Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 1,258

Marty32 wrote:

Actually the size and weigh are fine, also I'm not new at all to video editing, I have a good computer, the only thing that seem excessive are the 6 k and the extreme bit rates. But it also means it's future proof to some extent.

What I meant is that it's pricey, so I'm afraid to break it. It's like having a Ferrari or something. The positive thing is that the camera will probably be worth no more than a few hundred bucks in 5 years or so, so I shouldn't be afraid to use it.

"Like having a Ferrari" yet you want a "cheap lens"? Get the 12-35 2.8 or the 10-25 1.7. Look at used lenses. No point in driving your Ferrari in only first gear. Cameras are ephemeral, lenses are long lasting.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more

Are you talking about the "Lumix Leica DG Vario Summilux 10-25 mm f/1.7" ? It costs 1.5k€ ...

Well the Ferrari was fine but for now I think I'll pass on the Barbara Streisand Mansion that goes with it I don't mind used lenses, I need only one. One that has great gh5 auto-focus compatibility, wide or normal angle, 35mm, 55 mm or something, ideally a zoom lens. A superzoom as suggested by Jouko would be ideal, I'm just afraid it costs quite a lot.

I bought the gh5 for the stabilization and the slow motion. It's just to make stupid effects in my music videos. It's just for fun, for the ridicule of it. But fun is a matter I take with the utmost seriousness. I though the difference of price with the gh4 wasn't enough to justify the downgrade.

Anyway, is the GH5 Really so great? I doubt I can get a real cinema look out of it. I'd love to, for sure.

Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Senior Member • Posts: 3,775

Marty32 wrote:

Are you talking about the "Lumix Leica DG Vario Summilux 10-25 mm f/1.7" ? It costs 1.5k€ ...

this goes into you last sentence about giving you a real cinema look,  I did give you a cheap option to do this with the 25mm lens.

Well the Ferrari was fine but for now I think I'll pass on the Barbara Streisand Mansion that goes with it I don't mind used lenses, I need only one. One that has great gh5 auto-focus compatibility, wide or normal angle, 35mm, 55 mm or something, ideally a zoom lens. A superzoom as suggested by Jouko would be ideal, I'm just afraid it costs quite a lot.

I bought the gh5 for the stabilization and the slow motion. It's just to make stupid effects in my music videos. It's just for fun, for the ridicule of it. But fun is a matter I take with the utmost seriousness. I though the difference of price with the gh4 wasn't enough to justify the downgrade.

You have your reasons to buy the gear, and there are great things about a gh5, so good luck.

Anyway, is the GH5 Really so great? I doubt I can get a real cinema look out of it. I'd love to, for sure.

you can also adopt cheap lenses to the camera for normal to tele on the cheap side.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads