D500 AF question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Rotorbug
Rotorbug Contributing Member • Posts: 706
D500 AF question

Is there any way to set up either the AF on button or the small toggle switch press function so that you can switch simultaneously the AF mode (S or C) and the AF area mode?

In other words I am shooting a portrait and then would like to capture a moving subject with one button AF selection.

As far as I can see, you can only set these buttons to change the AF area mode, not the AF mode (S or C) as well.

In the video below, you can see Tom set up the toggle button so that he can shift to 25 point dynamic AF Mode but with no switch to continuous focusing. He must already be in continuous mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtDyV1_swo

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,163
Re: D500 AF question
1

Rotorbug wrote:

Is there any way to set up either the AF on button or the small toggle switch press function so that you can switch simultaneously the AF mode (S or C) and the AF area mode?

In other words I am shooting a portrait and then would like to capture a moving subject with one button AF selection.

As far as I can see, you can only set these buttons to change the AF area mode, not the AF mode (S or C) as well.

In the video below, you can see Tom set up the toggle button so that he can shift to 25 point dynamic AF Mode but with no switch to continuous focusing. He must already be in continuous mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtDyV1_swo

If you set a8 to ON and you have set AF to C, you already have it.

If you press AF-ON while shooting a portait, you only need to press it until you have acquired focus, let go of the AF-ON button and press the shutter button, which will not try to refocus. That is S.

If something starts moving, just keep pressing the AF-ON button while pressing the shutter button. That is C.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

 n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,201
Re: D500 AF question

n057 wrote:

Rotorbug wrote:

Is there any way to set up either the AF on button or the small toggle switch press function so that you can switch simultaneously the AF mode (S or C) and the AF area mode?

In other words I am shooting a portrait and then would like to capture a moving subject with one button AF selection.

As far as I can see, you can only set these buttons to change the AF area mode, not the AF mode (S or C) as well.

In the video below, you can see Tom set up the toggle button so that he can shift to 25 point dynamic AF Mode but with no switch to continuous focusing. He must already be in continuous mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtDyV1_swo

If you set a8 to ON and you have set AF to C, you already have it.

I'm sure you meant a8 to OFF ... ON, the default, means the shutter button WILL focus.

If you press AF-ON while shooting a portait, you only need to press it until you have acquired focus, let go of the AF-ON button and press the shutter button, which will not try to refocus. That is S.

If something starts moving, just keep pressing the AF-ON button while pressing the shutter button. That is C.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

 arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +2 more
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,163
Re: D500 AF question

arniebook wrote:

n057 wrote:

Rotorbug wrote:

Is there any way to set up either the AF on button or the small toggle switch press function so that you can switch simultaneously the AF mode (S or C) and the AF area mode?

In other words I am shooting a portrait and then would like to capture a moving subject with one button AF selection.

As far as I can see, you can only set these buttons to change the AF area mode, not the AF mode (S or C) as well.

In the video below, you can see Tom set up the toggle button so that he can shift to 25 point dynamic AF Mode but with no switch to continuous focusing. He must already be in continuous mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtDyV1_swo

If you set a8 to ON and you have set AF to C, you already have it.

I'm sure you meant a8 to OFF ... ON, the default, means the shutter button WILL focus.

If you press AF-ON while shooting a portait, you only need to press it until you have acquired focus, let go of the AF-ON button and press the shutter button, which will not try to refocus. That is S.

If something starts moving, just keep pressing the AF-ON button while pressing the shutter button. That is C.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Arnie

Thanks Arnie, you are right !

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

 n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads