Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

So I'm looking at breaking into the world of full frame, and it's pretty much between these two cameras.

I can get a decent used A7Rii for about £800-£900 (sometimes with a kit lens, which might not be great but it's usable and sellable later), while a new/nearly new A7iii body is more like £1250-1300.

While I know I'd love the faster and better AF of the A7iii, the big ol' 42mp sensor in the A7Rii is a temptation, and the saving in money could get me started on a lens or two.

I've read a lot on this comparison, but mostly the threads are from early 2019 or 2018, and in a lot of them the A7Rii was actually more expensive than the A7iii or similar in price... so things seem to have changed.

Just curious to see what people suggest / any opinions for me

(Use case is fairly general - landscapes, street, portrait, macro. Probably not much action, but would like to be able to lock onto pets and people when needed. Currently using a Fuji XT2, so if AF is equal to or better than that then it'd be fine.)

Nirurin's gear list:Nirurin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
JpGomez Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Dollar per IQ, the A7Rii is hard to beat.

OTOH, if you shoot a lot on AF-C/tracking then A7iii is a good choice to start with FF.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2
OP Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 930

JpGomez wrote:

Dollar per IQ, the A7Rii is hard to beat.

OTOH, if you shoot a lot on AF-C/tracking then A7iii is a good choice to start with FF.

What kind of thing would you put under AF-C/tracking? I mean I have used AFC on walking people before, and pets, and occasionally on macro shots (if there is a slight sway on a flower and I'm handheld, though manual focus is often a better choice for macro).

But I suspect you're talking more about... running people and racecars and sports? which I don't really do.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Mr_Win Regular Member • Posts: 355

Nirurin wrote:

So I'm looking at breaking into the world of full frame, and it's pretty much between these two cameras.

I can get a decent used A7Rii for about £800-£900 (sometimes with a kit lens, which might not be great but it's usable and sellable later), while a new/nearly new A7iii body is more like £1250-1300.

While I know I'd love the faster and better AF of the A7iii, the big ol' 42mp sensor in the A7Rii is a temptation, and the saving in money could get me started on a lens or two.

I've read a lot on this comparison, but mostly the threads are from early 2019 or 2018, and in a lot of them the A7Rii was actually more expensive than the A7iii or similar in price... so things seem to have changed.

(Use case is fairly general - landscapes, street, portrait, macro. Probably not much action, but would like to be able to lock onto pets and people when needed. Currently using a Fuji XT2, so if AF is equal to or better than that then it'd be fine.)

For general purpose get the A73. Much more enjoyable,  battery life is much better, firmware much improved even if it still kinda lame, just a much more confident tool.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,402

Nirurin wrote:

Well, it depends on how much the money means to you. £400-500 is enough to buy you a good lens.  Or the price difference between a great lens and a good lens.

Overall, i think the A7iii is going to be better overall, esp if you dont covet the 42MP.  With the A7Rii, you get the bigger sensor+apps, but everything else is worse.

• slower operation
  • slower AF
  • slower FPS
  • poor buffer
  • only one memory card slot
  • much less battery life 
  • smaller grip
  • 4k is "Probably" not as good as the A7iii (I say that because the A7Riii and A99ii have better 4k)

All that being said, how much is a used A7Riii in your area?

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 1,896

Nirurin wrote:

A high quality lens and good technique with the a7III will outperform a poor lens with mediocre technique with the a7R II any day of the week. Buying a high res sensor body and pairing it with low quality glass is a poor choice.

-- hide signature --
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,889
I'd buy a used A7R III ( in mint condition )

tqlla wrote:

Best point here - the A7R III is a no-brainer. It does everything as good as a brand new A7 III and adds some pixels.

I am currently in the waiting phase for the A7R IV and I will not sell the A7R III but many have and will sell their previous camera.

The A7R III is 'good enough' for almost everything I could imagine except ultra fast sports and action.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,120

jonpais wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

A high quality lens and good technique with the a7III will outperform a poor lens with mediocre technique with the a7R II any day of the week. Buying a high res sensor body and pairing it with low quality glass is a poor choice.

Since the A7Rii option in OPs scenario is the cheaper one it would more likely be A7iii + "poor lens" or A7Rii + "quality lens".

In any case, when I was trying to decide on whether or not full frame was worth it for me I ended up feeling that 24mp fullframe vs 24mp APS-C just wasn't enough of an upgrade to be worth the cost.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony a7R II Tamron 24mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
SergeyFromMoscow
SergeyFromMoscow Regular Member • Posts: 384

I strongly recommend A7III. It has a great autofocus and unique sensor.

You'll unlikely to appreciate 42mp resolution from a creative point of view, but will immediately feel the impact of skyrocketed hardware requirements.

If money is not an issue and you still wish 42mp - better get A7RIII. I did, and later sold it for A7III.

SergeyFromMoscow's gear list:SergeyFromMoscow's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +6 more
Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,932

I went through a similar consideration last year. As I’d previously owned an original A7 which had 24Mp in the end I went for the A7RII as I felt the extra pixels could be an advantage for cropping birds, wildlife and flower photography. I’ve never regretted the decision. The battery life doesn’t bother me. I’ve just completed a 14 week trip and I usually got through the day on one battery though I carry two spares but never needed them. And AF for my use is good enough. I rarely shoot fast action but when I have, I don’t miss many shots.

A year on, I have a nice folio of images and any time I compare a 24Mp image (from my A7 and current A6300), the 42Mp images win hands down... for me. Others of course will disagree so only you can decide which you desire more.

I would like an A7RIII but used ones are still too expensive for the advances they bring.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
AZheaven Contributing Member • Posts: 992

If you were to go the A7RII route, add into the price several batteries as well. The battery life is not that great. My friend has an A7RII and loves it. But bought it before the 3 series came out. For general shooting it will be ok for you. But like others have said, you will do better with the "best entry level full frame camera out there". Quotes are from the majority of reviewers when the A7III came out about 20 months ago. Still holds true.

And you never know if you will get into wildlife photography. You might want that AF!!

MikeTakesPix
MikeTakesPix Regular Member • Posts: 499

For me it was very simple, I take photos of my 2 and 4 year old daughters... they never stop moving, so the AFC on the A7iii has been the only camera that reliably gets the shot.  Also, no need for 42MP since I’m not putting their faces on billboards, and my glass (28-75 Tam and the 35mm Samy)... is not ultra high cost stuff for the R series.

MikeTakesPix's gear list:MikeTakesPix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Fujifilm X100F Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +4 more
Re: I'd buy a used A7R III ( in mint condition )

joger wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Best point here - the A7R III is a no-brainer. It does everything as good as a brand new A7 III and adds some pixels.

I am currently in the waiting phase for the A7R IV and I will not sell the A7R III but many have and will sell their previous camera.

The A7R III is 'good enough' for almost everything I could imagine except ultra fast sports and action.

Yeah, the A7iii's in the US appear to run around $1600 used.  The A7riii's are around $1800 used.

IMO, If you are considering the A7iii over the A7Rii, I would stretch for the A7riii.

Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more

tqlla wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

Well, it depends on how much the money means to you. £400-500 is enough to buy you a good lens. Or the price difference between a great lens and a good lens.

Overall, i think the A7iii is going to be better overall, esp if you dont covet the 42MP. With the A7Rii, you get the bigger sensor+apps, but everything else is worse.

• slower operation
  • slower AF
  • slower FPS
  • poor buffer
  • only one memory card slot
  • much less battery life
  • smaller grip
  • 4k is "Probably" not as good as the A7iii (I say that because the A7Riii and A99ii have better 4k)

£1300-£1500.

So it's actually closer to an A7iii than I thought, but it's also nearly double the price of an A7Rii.

SergeyFromMoscow wrote:

I strongly recommend A7III. It has a great autofocus and unique sensor.

You'll unlikely to appreciate 42mp resolution from a creative point of view, but will immediately feel the impact of skyrocketed hardware requirements.

If money is not an issue and you still wish 42mp - better get A7RIII. I did, and later sold it for A7III.

Why did you sell the Riii for the A7iii? I thought it was just a straight downgrade? Unless you managed to save a bunch of money in the sale?

SergeyFromMoscow
SergeyFromMoscow Regular Member • Posts: 384

I realized that I don't need such a resolution. Also, A7III has the best low-light performance.

SergeyFromMoscow's gear list:SergeyFromMoscow's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +6 more

jonpais wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

Wait...

Are you forgetting that money exists?

A high quality lens (I assume you're talking GM here) plus the A7iii is going to be what... £3000 total? £2600 to be nice?

An A7Rii plus a 'decent' lens (lets say the 85mm? I'm told it's very good) is going to be... (quick google search)... £1100. Total. That's still £200 cheaper than a body-only A7iii.

You also seem to be implying that someone with an A7iii has good technique, while someone with an A7Rii has bad technique. Not sure why both your examples couldn't have good technique.

Will the £3000 option produce better image quality? Probably. Will anyone be able to tell the difference? That would be the question I don't know the answer to. But I'm not sure it's worth £1500 for the difference.

So as far as lenses go (back on topic here) I'll be using the same lenses on whichever body I buy. They'll be the decent-but-budget / midrange options.

joger wrote:

tqlla wrote:

A7Riii and A7iii are pretty much the same price used. The Riii on average might be about £100 more, but the prices overlap if I'm quick/lucky with a good deal when it comes up.

Nirurin wrote:

joger wrote:

tqlla wrote:

A7Riii and A7iii are pretty much the same price used. The Riii on average might be about £100 more, but the prices overlap if I'm quick/lucky with a good deal when it comes up.

If you can afford the A7r3 with one good lens that you can live with for a while. I would go with that over the A7r2.

The A7r2 has too many deficits and no advantages compared to the A7r3(aside from cost). The major issue being the lesser AF and the slow buffer clear times. I hit the buffer sometimes, and I only shoot in single shot mode.

Also, if you care about resale, the A7iv is due soon. And when that happens the A7iii prices will drop.

tqlla wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

joger wrote:

tqlla wrote:

If you can afford the A7r3 with one good lens that you can live with for a while. I would go with that over the A7r2.

The A7r2 has too many deficits and no advantages compared to the A7r3(aside from cost). The major issue being the lesser AF and the slow buffer clear times. I hit the buffer sometimes, and I only shoot in single shot mode.

Also, if you care about resale, the A7iv is due soon. And when that happens the A7iii prices will drop.

Ahh, and the A7Riv dropped a little while ago, which I guess explains why the A7Riii prices seem fairly low-ish.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads