EOS R user with Fuji X-T3 walkaround

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 868
EOS R user with Fuji X-T3 walkaround

Hello folks,

here is some my findings and walkaround samples with my EOS R and Fuji X-T3 from yesterday. Please keep in mind that this is just informative comparison since I have pretty different lens on R and Fuji system.

EOS R + RF 35mm f1.8

X-T3 + XF 18-55 kit lens

Fuji is really nice small and light system. Excellent build quality, nice color output. But of course some advantages of bigger sensor are very noticeable and yes... I am much more used to Canon controls and menu. For me everything is much faster, more intuitive and easily accessible on EOS R. I'll use Fuji mainly as my second video camera and R is my primary photography tool.

Original RAW photos just converted in LR without edits.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viska Regular Member • Posts: 227
Re: EOS R user with Fuji X-T3 walkaround

Did you expect different results,my orange Tate's different to my Apple!

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax K-1 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-3 II Canon EOS RP
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,374

Just curious was the sunlight exactly the same for the young man’s photos?  Looks like for the Fuji the sun was blocked by a cloud or something.

The Fuji zoom lens is very good but not the best you should compare Fuji’s SICK 35 1.4.  Huge difference.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
DuxX
OP DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 868

Batdude wrote:

Just curious was the sunlight exactly the same for the young man’s photos? Looks like for the Fuji the sun was blocked by a cloud or something.

I shoot with both cameras in 4-5 seconds interval. I suppose that there is significant difference in exposure mostly because different light gathering ability (bigger sensor advantage). Of course, with one part can be lens too.

Agree for the lens. 35mm f1.4 is much better lens for comparison but unfortunately I have only XF 18-55 and I doubt that I'll buy more lenses because I plan to use XT3 only for video. So... it is - what it is

However, like a Canon shooter I am very pleased with Fuji even for photography. Really nice system.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Abu Mahendra Veteran Member • Posts: 5,310

Skin tones are radically different.

Abu Mahendra's gear list:Abu Mahendra's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,961

DuxX wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Just curious was the sunlight exactly the same for the young man’s photos? Looks like for the Fuji the sun was blocked by a cloud or something.

I shoot with both cameras in 4-5 seconds interval. I suppose that there is significant difference in exposure mostly because different light gathering ability (bigger sensor advantage). Of course, with one part can be lens too.

Agree for the lens. 35mm f1.4 is much better lens for comparison but unfortunately I have only XF 18-55 and I doubt that I'll buy more lenses because I plan to use XT3 only for video. So... it is - what it is

However, like a Canon shooter I am very pleased with Fuji even for photography. Really nice system.

Cheers

You should be comparing the Canon RF 35/1.8 IS to the Fuji XF 23/1.4 to get same focal length and close depth of field since the crop factor of the Fuji is ~ 1,5.

My RF 35 will show up today I hope and can make that comparison.  The XF 23/1.4 is one of my all time Fuji XF favorites. Won't be able to go around shooting for about a week though.

Does look like the exposures are a little different though.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +37 more
DuxX
More shots with Fuji

Abu Mahendra wrote:

Yes, maybe not radically but different for sure. Honestly, I can't say that one I like more than other as I can easily say that for Sony which is horrible to my taste.

Both cameras have really pleasant color rendition to my eyes. Like I said before... I think that here is more noticeable difference in sensor light sensitivity than in color rendition. As you can see with same parameters Fuji is slightly darker.

Couple of more shots with Fuji X-T3 slightly edited in LR.

I am very pleased with DR of Fuji sensor. Really nice.

-- hide signature --

Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,961
Re: More shots with Fuji

DuxX wrote:

Abu Mahendra wrote:

Yes, maybe not radically but different for sure. Honestly, I can't say that one I like more than other as I can easily say that for Sony which is horrible to my taste.

Both cameras have really pleasant color rendition to my eyes. Like I said before... I think that here is more noticeable difference in sensor light sensitivity than in color rendition. As you can see with same parameters Fuji is slightly darker.

Would really like to know the settings used in Lightroom for your profiles if your using RAW for both.

I found having Sony, Canon, and Fuji that I can get very similar behavior from RAW depending on what I select for WB color temperature and for profile. Even more so when I use Huelight Camera Profiles from Color Fidelity where they have their profiles for the different cameras tuned to the same final profile.

Of course straight out of camera JPEFG will be very different.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +37 more
DuxX
Re: More shots with Fuji

I am always using Adobe Color Profile for all my work in LR also default camera profile in C1 Pro. Don't have any problems because I'm using Canon

-- hide signature --

Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 2,893

Abu Mahendra wrote:

It’s either the poor quality of the kit lens or user error. Fuji has the best colors and skin tones aside from Canon IMO.

https://youtu.be/76n2Bus1G7g

amdk11 Junior Member • Posts: 36

I think the difference is due to the 18-55mm kit lens, 2 stops slower and not as sharp as the RF 35mm wide open.

you can get the fringer adapter and use EF glasses on the Fuji. I shoot a lot of environmental portraits with Sigma 20mm 1.4 and X-T30. it is very comparable to EOS R + Sigma 35mm 1.4 IQ wise. EOS R has a bit more creamy bokeh since it's 1 stop faster considering the 1.5x crop factor. overall I'm pretty happy with the Fuji, the 26MP x-tran sensor is very capable, you can definitely get much better IQ using a better lens.

catastrophe Junior Member • Posts: 43

I have an R and an X-T30. I have noticed that they can produce quite different colour temperatures when using auto white balance. However when I have a chance to compare them they are in difficult lighting conditions.

I suspect that the 2 fuji images with people are under exposed. A subject with big windows in the background can easily result in under exposure depending upon the metering settings. Without additional lighting, under exposure may be required if you do not want a blown out background. In that case the darker areas need to be brightened up a bit in post.

I do not think that they are particularly good images for comparison

shawnphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 632

DuxX wrote:

Hello folks,

here is some my findings and walkaround samples with my EOS R and Fuji X-T3 from yesterday. Please keep in mind that this is just informative comparison since I have pretty different lens on R and Fuji system.

EOS R + RF 35mm f1.8

X-T3 + XF 18-55 kit lens

Fuji is really nice small and light system. Excellent build quality, nice color output. But of course some advantages of bigger sensor are very noticeable and yes... I am much more used to Canon controls and menu. For me everything is much faster, more intuitive and easily accessible on EOS R. I'll use Fuji mainly as my second video camera and R is my primary photography tool.

Original RAW photos just converted in LR without edits.

Cheers

Nothing horribly wrong with either, but the Canon shots are a little overexposed. The R is very aggressive about biasing to shadows if the focus point is on a shadowed subject. To the extent that it will happily blow out the highlights in the rest of the scene. In fact, in general it overexposes low light photography to fill out the histogram. So you kind of have to be aware of that when you edit the photos and bring down the exposure in post.

shawnphoto's gear list:shawnphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +3 more
Ed Rizk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,897

The exposure is different.

If you used an automatic exposure setting, the exposure program in the two cameras is very different.

If you used the same manual settings in both cameras, their idea of ISO is very different.

What settings did you use?

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Ed Rizk's gear list:Ed Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
DuxX

You have setting on every image. I've tried both ways (with the same setting and to expose to 0 with different setting). Yes, results are quite different.

-- hide signature --

Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads