X-Pro3 EVF: Permanently overexposed/too bright?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
halpsb New Member • Posts: 19
X-Pro3 EVF: Permanently overexposed/too bright?

I just went out shooting with the X-Pro3 under light rain and suddenly noticed that my EVF was misbehaving, showing me a (way) overexposed view when shooting, and brightness issues in both the menus and the "Play" mode as well. Things look normal through the LCD, but everything looks (very) overexposed through the viewfinder, almost plain white. Have any of you experienced this? Somehow I cannot manage to capture what I am seeing with my phone's camera, but as I said, the closest description I can make is that it is as if the EVF display itself is always overexposed/too bright.

• EVF brightness is set to "auto" and changes here don't fix the issue, making the problem unrelated.
  • Happens both in "normal" and "boost" mode, and switching between "brightness" and "smoothness priority" does not affect the result.
  • Problem remains in other focus modes and in full auto as well (as I said, behavior remains normal through the LCD...)
  • The lens I was using was the Fujinon 35mm f2 (WR). I am aware that WR does not mean it is completely safe from water, but having been in what I considered to be light rain, I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if it turns out that it is indeed water damage.

Could this be a temporary effect caused by the slight rain? How concerned should I be?

Thanks

OP halpsb New Member • Posts: 19
Re: X-Pro3 EVF: Permanently overexposed/too bright?

Below are a few pictures, one from the LCD, the rest from the EVF. As I said, it's a bit difficult to capture what I see looking through the viewfinder, but these pictures should provide a good idea.

jmczaja
jmczaja Regular Member • Posts: 308

Looks like the EVF is broken. Contact Fuji?

jmczaja's gear list:jmczaja's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +6 more
Pete Takes Pictures
Pete Takes Pictures Junior Member • Posts: 34

My God! This happened to me on the weekend too. No idea what caused it, taking the battery out and resetting it did nowt. Hopefully an easy fix and a firmware update preventing it in future. Happened with my Dura-Tec Black, mercifully at the end of a wedding. LCD looks fine, just the viewfinder. (That's why you have back-ups at weddings, kids.)

For what its worth, I was indoors and away from water, so I don't think its the rain. It just did it out of nowhere.

Anyway, contacting Fujifilm support to see what's what. Shame as I'm hugely enjoying the camera.

Pete Takes Pictures's gear list:Pete Takes Pictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more

Pete Takes Pictures wrote:

My God! This happened to me on the weekend too. No idea what caused it, taking the battery out and resetting it did nowt. Hopefully an easy fix and a firmware update preventing it in future. Happened with my Dura-Tec Black, mercifully at the end of a wedding. LCD looks fine, just the viewfinder. (That's why you have back-ups at weddings, kids.)

For what its worth, I was indoors and away from water, so I don't think its the rain. It just did it out of nowhere.

Anyway, contacting Fujifilm support to see what's what. Shame as I'm hugely enjoying the camera.

Ah thank you for your reply! A part of me is relieved that the rain didn't cause it, but another part is concerned and curious as well since I am no longer the only one affected. I wonder how many posts we are going to see on this matter in the upcoming days/weeks. And as you said, I hope a firmware update can be enough to fix or prevent it - perhaps it's a matter of calibration. I am also hugely enjoying the camera, and currently being on a trip with it makes it a little more frustrating too...

danjlove New Member • Posts: 2

Ok this is uncanny, the exact same thing happened to me while I was shooting last weekend. 23 f2 in the cold, just below freezing and outdoors. No rain or anything. Xp3 dura Black.

BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,582

My God! This happened to me on the weekend too. No idea what caused it, taking the battery out and resetting it did nowt.

Just confirming: "did nowt" means "did not fix the problem"?  Rough break!  Hope the issue is easily fixed...

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +38 more

BryceM wrote:

My God! This happened to me on the weekend too. No idea what caused it, taking the battery out and resetting it did nowt.

Just confirming: "did nowt" means "did not fix the problem"? Rough break! Hope the issue is easily fixed...

I had to verify as well, I believe "nowt" means "nothing"

danjlove wrote:

Ok this is uncanny, the exact same thing happened to me while I was shooting last weekend. 23 f2 in the cold, just below freezing and outdoors. No rain or anything. Xp3 dura Black.

Interesting. It seems to be way more common than I thought. Do you have any update since? Did it happen after you updated the firmware?

Labe
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,982
Looks link classic fogging....

To me . The heat from your eye against the cold glass of the evf. 
used to happen to me a lot with my ovf in adverse weather conditions.

Just like walking into a warm a room with your glasses on after been out on a cold day.

Easy to check . Leave the camera in a warm room for several hours and recheck it .

The fogging should have cleared.

If it remains then return to Fuji .

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1
BryceM

halpsb wrote:

BryceM wrote:

Just confirming: "did nowt" means "did not fix the problem"? Rough break! Hope the issue is easily fixed...

Strange... Is your OVF focus viewer extra bright too?  Any chance you guys are using higher amperage USB outlets or something that may damage the cameras perhaps?  It'll be interesting to hear what you guys learn from Fuji support - I've had one of these sitting in my Amazon cart for a couple of months... 

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +38 more
Labe
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,982

BryceM wrote:

halpsb wrote:

BryceM wrote:

Strange... Is your OVF focus viewer extra bright too? Any chance you guys are using higher amperage USB outlets or something that may damage the cameras perhaps? It'll be interesting to hear what you guys learn from Fuji support - I've had one of these sitting in my Amazon cart for a couple of months...

Happens on my fz1000 evf often also if been out on a damp day . My eye fogs up the inner glass in front of panel . ( which is very often in foggy U.K. lol)

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1
BryceM

Labe wrote:

BryceM wrote:

halpsb wrote:

BryceM wrote:

Strange... Is your OVF focus viewer extra bright too? Any chance you guys are using higher amperage USB outlets or something that may damage the cameras perhaps? It'll be interesting to hear what you guys learn from Fuji support - I've had one of these sitting in my Amazon cart for a couple of months...

Happens on my fz1000 evf often also if been out on a damp day . My eye fogs up the inner glass in front of panel . ( which is very often in foggy U.K. lol)

Sounds like a reasonable explanation if the fogging has cleared in a warm room after a couple hours.  I've had this problem on my cameras in a damp alpine environments on a regular basis too.  Can any of the three folks experiencing this confirm the fog has cleared?

-- hide signature --

BryceM wrote:

halpsb wrote:

BryceM wrote:

Yes, I believe the OVF is a bit different as well and has a light gray background to it. I haven't been charging the camera through the USB port, I actually kept using the external charger that came with my X100F at the time.

It really does not feel like fog though and never did. It also hasn't dissipated as well, although it has been several days now. It's exactly as if the exposure compensation is constantly set to the max when shooting, sometimes coming close to a plain white screen.

Below is a picture through the OVF:

BryceM

Looks like it's a problem with the OVF overlay screen...  Not firmware, I'm guessing.

-- hide signature --

Eric Jacobs Regular Member • Posts: 191

From another forum, someone had a similar problem with the OVF. It was a hardware problem and Fuji replaced the camera.

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/difficulty-using-ovf.97609/

Pete Takes Pictures
Pete Takes Pictures Junior Member • Posts: 34

halpsb wrote:

BryceM wrote:

Aye, lad! Sorry, had a Northern dose of the Yorkshires there! (Eee by gum, the IBIS has  gone out askew on the treddle! Etc.)

Anyway. Bit concerning it's a hardware issue, hope not too many units have been affected by it, but I think I make four out there on the net I'm aware of having problems. I've only been using the Fujifilm external charger too, and there were no abrupt temperature shifts or anything unusual prefacing the failure, just normal indoor event shooting.

Anyway, sent off a support email on Friday, so hope to hear back shortly.

Pete Takes Pictures's gear list:Pete Takes Pictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
danjlove New Member • Posts: 2

Sounds like I need to bring mine back to the dealer and trade it in for a new one. That's unfortunate, I've been enjoying it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads