X-Pro3 EVF: Permanently overexposed/too bright?

Started Jan 2, 2020 | Discussions
halpsb New Member • Posts: 20
X-Pro3 EVF: Permanently overexposed/too bright?

I just went out shooting with the X-Pro3 under light rain and suddenly noticed that my EVF was misbehaving, showing me a (way) overexposed view when shooting, and brightness issues in both the menus and the "Play" mode as well. Things look normal through the LCD, but everything looks (very) overexposed through the viewfinder, almost plain white. Have any of you experienced this? Somehow I cannot manage to capture what I am seeing with my phone's camera, but as I said, the closest description I can make is that it is as if the EVF display itself is always overexposed/too bright.

• EVF brightness is set to "auto" and changes here don't fix the issue, making the problem unrelated.
  • Happens both in "normal" and "boost" mode, and switching between "brightness" and "smoothness priority" does not affect the result.
  • Problem remains in other focus modes and in full auto as well (as I said, behavior remains normal through the LCD...)
  • The lens I was using was the Fujinon 35mm f2 (WR). I am aware that WR does not mean it is completely safe from water, but having been in what I considered to be light rain, I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if it turns out that it is indeed water damage.

Could this be a temporary effect caused by the slight rain? How concerned should I be?

Thanks

OP halpsb New Member • Posts: 20
Re: X-Pro3 EVF: Permanently overexposed/too bright?

Below are a few pictures, one from the LCD, the rest from the EVF. As I said, it's a bit difficult to capture what I see looking through the viewfinder, but these pictures should provide a good idea.

jmczaja
jmczaja Regular Member • Posts: 309

Looks like the EVF is broken. Contact Fuji?

jmczaja's gear list:jmczaja's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +6 more
Pete Takes Pictures
Pete Takes Pictures Junior Member • Posts: 35

My God! This happened to me on the weekend too. No idea what caused it, taking the battery out and resetting it did nowt. Hopefully an easy fix and a firmware update preventing it in future. Happened with my Dura-Tec Black, mercifully at the end of a wedding. LCD looks fine, just the viewfinder. (That's why you have back-ups at weddings, kids.)

For what its worth, I was indoors and away from water, so I don't think its the rain. It just did it out of nowhere.

Anyway, contacting Fujifilm support to see what's what. Shame as I'm hugely enjoying the camera.

Pete Takes Pictures's gear list:Pete Takes Pictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more

Pete Takes Pictures wrote:

My God! This happened to me on the weekend too. No idea what caused it, taking the battery out and resetting it did nowt. Hopefully an easy fix and a firmware update preventing it in future. Happened with my Dura-Tec Black, mercifully at the end of a wedding. LCD looks fine, just the viewfinder. (That's why you have back-ups at weddings, kids.)

For what its worth, I was indoors and away from water, so I don't think its the rain. It just did it out of nowhere.

Anyway, contacting Fujifilm support to see what's what. Shame as I'm hugely enjoying the camera.

Ah thank you for your reply! A part of me is relieved that the rain didn't cause it, but another part is concerned and curious as well since I am no longer the only one affected. I wonder how many posts we are going to see on this matter in the upcoming days/weeks. And as you said, I hope a firmware update can be enough to fix or prevent it - perhaps it's a matter of calibration. I am also hugely enjoying the camera, and currently being on a trip with it makes it a little more frustrating too...

danjlove New Member • Posts: 2

Ok this is uncanny, the exact same thing happened to me while I was shooting last weekend. 23 f2 in the cold, just below freezing and outdoors. No rain or anything. Xp3 dura Black.

danjlove wrote:

Ok this is uncanny, the exact same thing happened to me while I was shooting last weekend. 23 f2 in the cold, just below freezing and outdoors. No rain or anything. Xp3 dura Black.

Interesting. It seems to be way more common than I thought. Do you have any update since? Did it happen after you updated the firmware?

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,611
Looks link classic fogging....

To me . The heat from your eye against the cold glass of the evf. 
used to happen to me a lot with my ovf in adverse weather conditions.

Just like walking into a warm a room with your glasses on after been out on a cold day.

Easy to check . Leave the camera in a warm room for several hours and recheck it .

The fogging should have cleared.

If it remains then return to Fuji .

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

YHQW
YHQW New Member • Posts: 10

Three major problems with X-Pro3 currently being reported here in Korea, in order of report frequency:

1. The viewfinder screen goes white and stays bright white permanently.

2. Body paint issues.

3. Shutter buttons on different X-Pro3 cameras give different haptic feedback.

I'm convinced Fujifilm is not what it used to be in its build quality department.

YHQW's gear list:YHQW's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax MX-1 Olympus Tough TG-2 Ricoh GR Leica M9-P +8 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 4,453

Just remember, thanks to the titanium top and bottom plates this is a camera that will last you forever and be handed down to your great grandkids (yes people did genuinely suggest this when it was launched..)

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
mega_b New Member • Posts: 4

I've got the same issue after using my X-Pro 3 Dura Black for just 2 weeks. Currently it has been sent to Fuji - Sydney for the repair.

I did read some of your comments saying that you guys received a new camera. Did they ask you to return the full box?

This was my original thread in other forum.

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/x-pro-3-viewfinder-lightleak-issue.98152/

Hope Fuji will officially response to this issue.

iau Regular Member • Posts: 318

Same thing happened to my X-Pro3 today. EVF and OVF overlay are over exposed and slightly tinted. It reacts to adjustments in brightness of EVF/OVF, but not solving the problem.

I bought mine in the first shipment here in late November. Have had problems with the EVF/OVF demanding individual diopter adjustmens. Not seeing motive as sharp. Not experienced this with my X-Pro2 or any of my many X100's.

- iau

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony RX100 VII Leica M10 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T5 +7 more
alain99s
alain99s Forum Member • Posts: 71
Same here

Same here last week-end with the Black version. Very sad for a camera at this price.

Hopefully i have 30 days to returned it to my dealer.

I will get the X-T4 in March and send back the pro3.

alain99s's gear list:alain99s's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Leica M11
R_U_Q_R_U
R_U_Q_R_U Senior Member • Posts: 1,359

Has anyone received any communication from Fujifilm if this is a recall item or just a problem with a small sample of cameras?

I have watched a number of videos both by reviewers, who may have the camera on loan, and people who own it. No one has mentioned this problem.

Would like to know before plunking down $2K.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

R_U_Q_R_U's gear list:R_U_Q_R_U's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +10 more
Pete Takes Pictures

Basically it was just a matter of taking it in its box back to the dealer and swapping out for a new boxed copy.

It does appear from coloquial evidence here on the forum that a significant number of cameras have been affected. Should my new one fail as well I'll be sending it to Fujifilm with a request that the fault be examined and the issue fixed in a way that would negate a reoccurance of the fault, with an explanation as to what went wrong.

I love the camera, genuinely, but I've real concerns about the QC process, and whether this is a design flaw in the viewfinder that is being addressed, or just a limited batch that was faultily produced.

Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,611

I am sure that the shops will have informed Fujifilm by now, that cameras are being returned for this reason.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-T5 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R WR +1 more
Pete Takes Pictures

Fujifilm will swap or fix, so you're okay there. However make sure you're buying with warrenty. Unless you're itching to have one I'd suggest waiting a month until we've an idea if this is a widespread issue or not. Because I know a few who have had theirs with heavy use for a month or more without issue,  I don't think it's a universal issue and so may be limited to a batch like a similar fault in the first X100, but for peace of mind I'd wait. Why not buy an excellent photo book in the meantime? Something by Magnum or Aperture?

TheSloth
TheSloth Forum Member • Posts: 94

Not trying to be frivolous or anything, but someone asked in this thread if a particular variant was more prone to failure. Just extending the question, did the (defective) camera come with a user manual?

TheSloth's gear list:TheSloth's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +2 more
Autoxave Regular Member • Posts: 279

Dura black bought in Norway 3 weeks ago. Have not noticed any major issues, but have not used the camera extensively. Noticed today a very, very brief overexposing on the EVF, approx 0,2 second before it was normal. Maybe this is a sign of a permanent failure in the future.

Seems as though the dura black is the most frequent model.

How many images have you taken before the overexposure of the EVF occurs?

Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 4,453

Petapixel are reporting on this today - awaiting comment from Fujifilm:

https://petapixel.com/2020/01/17/multiple-users-reporting-major-evf-issue-with-the-brand-new-fuji-x-pro3

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads