Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
JW PHOTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,059
Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter
1

Tomorrow my "new to me" A7RII arrives.  The only native lens I have is the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 that is coming with the camera.  I do already have the Sigma MC-11 SA adapter so I can use my better Sigma SA AF lenses on the A7RII.  I also bought manual adapters off eBay for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Contax G and Leica R lenses.  Of all the lenses that I have I think my Contax G lenses will be as good as anything on the A7RII.  If I find that to be true I then want to move to a Techart AF Contax G adapter.  My question is about which model Techart adapter will work best or should I just forget the Techart AF adapter and stick with the manual focus Contax G adapter.  Anyone out there using a Techart Contax G to Sony adapter?  I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when the camera gets here.  JohnW

 JW PHOTO's gear list:JW PHOTO's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Kodak EasyShare C875 Olympus C-3030 Zoom Sigma DP1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 +19 more
CE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

You already own the MC-11, so I’d stick with that and the manual adapters you just purchased on eBay for now. The Techart Pro is for Leica M, which means you’d have to buy a whole new set of adapters for the Leica mount.

With the Techart you’ll have to do your own pre-focusing sometimes, but it’s still nice to have some AF support. It’s not ideal for heavy long lenses, or designs with floating elements, and I’ve read you don’t want to upgrade to the latest firmware if you have an A7R2 as that version is only recommended for A7R3 & A9 models.

 CE3's gear list:CE3's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6400 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

JW PHOTO wrote:

Tomorrow my "new to me" A7RII arrives. The only native lens I have is the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 that is coming with the camera. I do already have the Sigma MC-11 SA adapter so I can use my better Sigma SA AF lenses on the A7RII. I also bought manual adapters off eBay for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Contax G and Leica R lenses. Of all the lenses that I have I think my Contax G lenses will be as good as anything on the A7RII. If I find that to be true I then want to move to a Techart AF Contax G adapter. My question is about which model Techart adapter will work best or should I just forget the Techart AF adapter and stick with the manual focus Contax G adapter. Anyone out there using a Techart Contax G to Sony adapter? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when the camera gets here. JohnW

I investigated this a long time ago. So pardon any inaccuracies, but here were my conclusions:

- you cant use the m mount adapter because there are no passive adapters from g to m

- the tech art g is pretty good, and I imagine it would work with a7r2, but it may not have been updated recently and may not work with future cameras

- the g lenses are great and work great, but they are comparatively slow.

I would by the g adapter and see how you like it! Always nice to have af lenses once in a while

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
CE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter
1

SafariBob wrote:

JW PHOTO wrote:

Tomorrow my "new to me" A7RII arrives. The only native lens I have is the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 that is coming with the camera. I do already have the Sigma MC-11 SA adapter so I can use my better Sigma SA AF lenses on the A7RII. I also bought manual adapters off eBay for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Contax G and Leica R lenses. Of all the lenses that I have I think my Contax G lenses will be as good as anything on the A7RII. If I find that to be true I then want to move to a Techart AF Contax G adapter. My question is about which model Techart adapter will work best or should I just forget the Techart AF adapter and stick with the manual focus Contax G adapter. Anyone out there using a Techart Contax G to Sony adapter? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when the camera gets here. JohnW

I investigated this a long time ago. So pardon any inaccuracies, but here were my conclusions:

- you cant use the m mount adapter because there are no passive adapters from g to m

- the tech art g is pretty good, and I imagine it would work with a7r2, but it may not have been updated recently and may not work with future cameras

- the g lenses are great and work great, but they are comparatively slow.

I would by the g adapter and see how you like it! Always nice to have af lenses once in a while

Sorry, I wasn’t aware of a Techart AF adapter for Contax G. It’s not even listed on Techart’s website anymore.

 CE3's gear list:CE3's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6400 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
OP JW PHOTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,059
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

I guess I'm a little confused here or there is a slight misunderstanding.  I own no Leica M-mount lenses at present and only want the Techart adapter so I can use the Contax "G" rangefinder lenses I own on the A7RII.  I did some searching and it seems that certain versions or models of the Techart adapter work differently, some for the better and some not so good.  I'm just wanting to know which version Techart I should get for the A7RII and my Contax "G" lenses.  JohnW

 JW PHOTO's gear list:JW PHOTO's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Kodak EasyShare C875 Olympus C-3030 Zoom Sigma DP1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 +19 more
OP JW PHOTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,059
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

Whoops!  CE3 I didn't see your last post before I posted.  With the Contax "G" version adapter not being available anymore makes me believe it must not have worked out to well for Techart Inc..  I can live with the Contax "G" manual focus adapter since it's what I use on my Olympus M4/3 cameras.   With the combination of focus peaking and magnification it works pretty darn good.  Still, AF would be a nicer option.  JohnW

 JW PHOTO's gear list:JW PHOTO's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Kodak EasyShare C875 Olympus C-3030 Zoom Sigma DP1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 +19 more
CE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

JW PHOTO wrote:

Whoops! CE3 I didn't see your last post before I posted. With the Contax "G" version adapter not being available anymore makes me believe it must not have worked out to well for Techart Inc.. I can live with the Contax "G" manual focus adapter since it's what I use on my Olympus M4/3 cameras. With the combination of focus peaking and magnification it works pretty darn good. Still, AF would be a nicer option. JohnW

I found this thread about the Contax G adapter you might find useful: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1519967/0

 CE3's gear list:CE3's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6400 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

JW PHOTO wrote:

I guess I'm a little confused here or there is a slight misunderstanding. I own no Leica M-mount lenses at present and only want the Techart adapter so I can use the Contax "G" rangefinder lenses I own on the A7RII. I did some searching and it seems that certain versions or models of the Techart adapter work differently, some for the better and some not so good. I'm just wanting to know which version Techart I should get for the A7RII and my Contax "G" lenses. JohnW

For the g lenses it would be the ga3.

There is also a tech art pro m mount adapter, that can focus any manual lens as long as you can adapt it to m mount. The results will be good as long as it is group focus (all lens elements move together) which I believe the Contax lenses are. However since you can’t adapt the Contax lenses to m mount passively, your only choice is the g. Mount af adapter.

to me it would be worth buying if I already had the lenses.

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,330
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

JW PHOTO wrote:

Tomorrow my "new to me" A7RII arrives. The only native lens I have is the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 that is coming with the camera. I do already have the Sigma MC-11 SA adapter so I can use my better Sigma SA AF lenses on the A7RII. I also bought manual adapters off eBay for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Contax G and Leica R lenses. Of all the lenses that I have I think my Contax G lenses will be as good as anything on the A7RII. If I find that to be true I then want to move to a Techart AF Contax G adapter. My question is about which model Techart adapter will work best or should I just forget the Techart AF adapter and stick with the manual focus Contax G adapter. Anyone out there using a Techart Contax G to Sony adapter? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when the camera gets here. JohnW

You will need a G adapter in addition to (possibly) the Techart Pro. With the wider G lenses, some have gone to extreme length to make them edge to edge sharp, with the use of expensive Plano COnvex optics in the front and Kolari thin stack stacks. That's a lot of love!

I recommend you get the dumb cheap adapter first. Then evaluate. The Techart Pro is limited in that the helicoid is like 4mm, and only is effective or usable to me for 50mm or wider. For longer lenses you need to "aid so much"  unless you shooting far away objects, and the weight cannot be much.

90% of the times, I have the manual adapter, not Techart.

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

fferreres wrote:

JW PHOTO wrote:

Tomorrow my "new to me" A7RII arrives. The only native lens I have is the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 that is coming with the camera. I do already have the Sigma MC-11 SA adapter so I can use my better Sigma SA AF lenses on the A7RII. I also bought manual adapters off eBay for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Contax G and Leica R lenses. Of all the lenses that I have I think my Contax G lenses will be as good as anything on the A7RII. If I find that to be true I then want to move to a Techart AF Contax G adapter. My question is about which model Techart adapter will work best or should I just forget the Techart AF adapter and stick with the manual focus Contax G adapter. Anyone out there using a Techart Contax G to Sony adapter? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when the camera gets here. JohnW

You will need a G adapter in addition to (possibly) the Techart Pro. With the wider G lenses, some have gone to extreme length to make them edge to edge sharp, with the use of expensive Plano COnvex optics in the front and Kolari thin stack stacks. That's a lot of love!

I recommend you get the dumb cheap adapter first. Then evaluate. The Techart Pro is limited in that the helicoid is like 4mm, and only is effective or usable to me for 50mm or wider. For longer lenses you need to "aid so much" unless you shooting far away objects, and the weight cannot be much.

90% of the times, I have the manual adapter, not Techart.

This is not possible due to the narrow difference in focal length between m and g. No g to m adapters available!

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,330
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter
1

SafariBob wrote:

fferreres wrote:

JW PHOTO wrote:

Tomorrow my "new to me" A7RII arrives. The only native lens I have is the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 that is coming with the camera. I do already have the Sigma MC-11 SA adapter so I can use my better Sigma SA AF lenses on the A7RII. I also bought manual adapters off eBay for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Contax G and Leica R lenses. Of all the lenses that I have I think my Contax G lenses will be as good as anything on the A7RII. If I find that to be true I then want to move to a Techart AF Contax G adapter. My question is about which model Techart adapter will work best or should I just forget the Techart AF adapter and stick with the manual focus Contax G adapter. Anyone out there using a Techart Contax G to Sony adapter? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for when the camera gets here. JohnW

You will need a G adapter in addition to (possibly) the Techart Pro. With the wider G lenses, some have gone to extreme length to make them edge to edge sharp, with the use of expensive Plano COnvex optics in the front and Kolari thin stack stacks. That's a lot of love!

I recommend you get the dumb cheap adapter first. Then evaluate. The Techart Pro is limited in that the helicoid is like 4mm, and only is effective or usable to me for 50mm or wider. For longer lenses you need to "aid so much" unless you shooting far away objects, and the weight cannot be much.

90% of the times, I have the manual adapter, not Techart.

This is not possible due to the narrow difference in focal length between m and g. No g to m adapters available!

Yes, good correction just in case it's confusing. The Pro is LM and the G is just for G. What I wanted to stress is to first buy and try fully manual focusing.

SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,499
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

CE3 wrote:

JW PHOTO wrote:

Whoops! CE3 I didn't see your last post before I posted. With the Contax "G" version adapter not being available anymore makes me believe it must not have worked out to well for Techart Inc.. I can live with the Contax "G" manual focus adapter since it's what I use on my Olympus M4/3 cameras. With the combination of focus peaking and magnification it works pretty darn good. Still, AF would be a nicer option. JohnW

I found this thread about the Contax G adapter you might find useful: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1519967/0

In the fredmiranda thread, Mathieu18 wrote "I messaged them about a firmware question and they never answered."

I bought a TAP in mid 2018. Some functions worked in the copy I received, but others (e.g. SW config) didn't appear to function.

My experience communicating with TechArt mirrored Mathieu18s. Long story short, after multiple fruitless attempts to get support of any kind, I reluctantly sent the TAP back for a refund.

Others have had more success with the TechArt Pro (and other TechArt products). But it may pay to go in with your eyes open regarding support (the likely absence thereof).

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

 SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
roger2013 Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Sony A7RII and Techart AF adapter

I have used a Techart Pro (Leica M) on both an A7II and an A7RIII, and it works well, and I would expect the same to hold for an A7RII, though I have not tried that. I have used OM Zuikos (lots of them), Yashica 50 and 28, Leica R 35, 50 and 135. Cheap Leica M to whatever adapters work fine so long as you choose ones that are sufficiently narrow at the LM end to fit the TP. But I would echo two points made in other posts. Only use it with fairly light lenses because it is not clear that the construction is robust enough to support heavy lenses which could pull out the alignment. In my view, the Leica R 135 f2.8 is too heavy. There are threads on this problem. And it focuses by moving the entire lens, which means that with long focal lengths, you need to get the lens roughly in focus before using the autofocus.

Another issue, so I understand, it that if a lens focuses by moving the entire lens back and forth, then the TP should work as well as using the focusing ring on the lens. But if it focuses by moving some elements relative to others, the TP may give poor results because the lens needs to be exactly the right distance from the sensor/film plane.

The one wide-angle lens that does not work with the TP is a Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 (Leica M fitting), that I could not get to focus on infinity. My explanation is that such an extreme wide-angle is hypersensitive to small changes in distance from the sensor. But with a lens like this you hardly need autofocus because the depth of field is so great, and my solution was to buy a Fotodiox LM to E dumb adapter with a helicoid adjustment so I could adjust it to get infinity focus. I never had issues, aside from weight, with infinity focus on any other lens, from a 16mm fisheye to 200mm.

I never had problems with firmware updates or adjusting the settings, though I strongly recommend making sure you keep a record of what the different aperture settings on the camera do to the adapter. I have been out in the field and suddenly thought “What aperture do I need to get to make the TP park itself at infinity/closest focus/current distance?” The system of using aperture settings to change the adapter settings takes some getting used to, but it works and the company deserves credit for its ingenuity.

It can be fun to go out and use manual lenses though I admit that I haven’t used the TP for a while, lazily opting for the convenience of a 24-105 zoom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads