RF 24-105 Is this normal?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
GeoffreyH Regular Member • Posts: 334
RF 24-105 Is this normal?

So I returned from a recent trip to France with the R and RF 24-105 and have been processing the images in Lightroom. I have noticed a blurriness/softness/movement, in many of the images, softness that I have not noticed in previous lenses, e.g., 24-70.

These should be "automatic", that is, iso 100, f/5.6 to f/8 at 1/125 to 1/180.

I have noticed it more (as is usual) at the wide end in the corners, but again much more noticeable than any other previous lens. Is this normal? Do I have an issue with IS?

Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 2,891
Re: RF 24-105 Is this normal?

Corner sharpness at 24 and at 105 is only decent on this lens. Start watching at the 4:45 mark and pay attention to the 5:14 mark of the video below. The 24-70 is a higher quality lens. The 24-105 is a kit lens, can't expect too much from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaPpqmkZms

Redcrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,689

I can't make sense of your samples. They are horrible, of course, but their dimensions don't match a 100% crop so they look like something that has been uprezed and heavily "walked on" in processing.

Post a raw or a full sized jpeg with little or no processing (especially sharpening) and we might be able to give a better indication of whether or not you have a bad copy.

OP GeoffreyH Regular Member • Posts: 334

Original jpg. from Lightroom with no adjustments (As Shot, no sharpening, noise reduce etc.)

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,927

It looks like the focus is very close.

shawnphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 622

GeoffreyH wrote:

Original jpg. from Lightroom with no adjustments (As Shot, no sharpening, noise reduce etc.)

Whomever made your lens should be fired and sent to work at a McDonalds.

shawnphoto's gear list:shawnphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +3 more
gium Senior Member • Posts: 1,371

The RF 24-105 is the best 24-105 out there and at 24mm it rivals my 24-70/2.8L II in terms of sharpness and contrast. Wide open at f/4, even the extreme corners should be good. Multiple tests have shown this (eg. photozone/opticallimits or the digital picture).

At 24mm f/5.6 the image should also be sharp from corner to corner.

This isn't the case in your picture, so it could be technique or it could be a defective lens.

It's hard to come to a conclusion based on just one picture. Why don't you just test it out in a more controlled environment? A static subject that covers the frame, handheld with IS and not handheld on a tripod with IS off, focus correctly on the subject, using a remote or at least a timer to eliminate any sort of softness by movement.

gium's gear list:gium's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +12 more
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 867

According to your original image and firstly posted one I can say that you've used some lens distortion and image straightening tools. That can degrade corner sharpness significantly.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
J A C S

shawnphoto wrote:

GeoffreyH wrote:

Or maybe whoever took that shot with AF at his feet?

J A C S wrote:

shawnphoto wrote:

GeoffreyH wrote:

...No. Not at my feet. I use a single AF point combined with back-button focus and I'm pretty sure the focus point was on the building. (I'll have to confirm with my R, I'm at work right now, I have it to display focus point on playback).

Again, I took many shots in Italy with my 6D and "kit" lens 24-70 f/4 that did not display the issues I am seeing with the R and RF 24-105. The images are just a couple of quick samples, most of the hundreds of image I took were similar to what I've posted. Yes, I can see a mis-focus now and again, for whatever reason, but I took a couple of shots of the .jpg attached herein, and it was IS on, f/5.6 @ 1/500, about a hundred feet away.

FWIW, here is a link to the Italy page: https://spark.adobe.com/page/7BPEZl5ZdJBxq/

Most were handheld save for the night shots (obvious) and with EF 24-70 f/4 on 6D (original), a couple were with the EF 16-35 f/4. They are not full-res, as they are meant for monitor viewing, but you can click on an image for a larger rendition.

J A C S

GeoffreyH wrote:

J A C S wrote:

shawnphoto wrote:

GeoffreyH wrote:

...No. Not at my feet. I use a single AF point combined with back-button focus and I'm pretty sure the focus point was on the building. (I'll have to confirm with my R, I'm at work right now, I have it to display focus point on playback).

Again, I took many shots in Italy with my 6D and "kit" lens 24-70 f/4 that did not display the issues I am seeing with the R and RF 24-105. The images are just a couple of quick samples, most of the hundreds of image I took were similar to what I've posted. Yes, I can see a mis-focus now and again, for whatever reason, but I took a couple of shots of the .jpg attached herein, and it was IS on, f/5.6 @ 1/500, about a hundred feet away.

Fair enough, let is see the original JPEG (or the one processed with DPP) then.

FWIW, here is a link to the Italy page: https://spark.adobe.com/page/7BPEZl5ZdJBxq/

Most were handheld save for the night shots (obvious) and with EF 24-70 f/4 on 6D (original), a couple were with the EF 16-35 f/4. They are not full-res, as they are meant for monitor viewing, but you can click on an image for a larger rendition.

Beautiful shots! On other hand, it is not fair, you live in Italy.

Thanks. No, I live in the U.S., sorry if I implied.

Someone asked for just that, It is the 4th post down. "Original jpg. from Lightroom with no adjustments (As Shot, [no distortion correction] sharpening, noise reduce etc.)"

jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,082
Test chart:

Here's a link to a test chart page and instructions. You can download and print the chart, and then shoot it at various focal lengths.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html

This is a quick and simple way to see if your lens has any really obvious issues. I find it helpful to either verify what I think I see in the field with an iffy lens, or to figure out if it's something I am doing that's not necessarily a lens issue.  For instance: I verified a bad Panasonic 12-32mm ( it was decentered), and they replaced it.  New one was fine.  Similarly, I have a Canon M lens, 15-45mm that's new, but has one soft side, that I will send in for repair when I get around to it.  On the other hand, I have had a couple of lenses I was suspicious had a problem, but when I shot the chart with them, they were spot on, so it turned out it was something I was doing that was giving me not great results.  It's really a very helpful tool.

Give it a try, and see what you come up with.

-J

J A C S

LR removes the AF points.

Redcrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,689

Geoffrey,

From looking at your 100% jpeg I'd say you've got a bad copy of the RF 24-105. The edges and corners are quite "soft", and not consistent with tests of the lens that have been shown on various sites.

In the 1 month I've had the EOS r and RF 24-105 I have not made many 24mm shots that are good candidates to show edge and corner sharpness. The following is the best real world shot I have so far, but it is at f/11. No sharpening or noise reduction on this sample. I think it looks fairly good.

I've had 2 copies of the RF 24-105 (the original and the latest ii model) on Canon 5D3 and 5D4. Both were good copies, but the RF version I have on the EOS R seems slightly better than either.

Re: Test chart:

Thanks Redcrown & jalywol, (downloaded & will print a copy).

I'm going to do some tests (when it warms up for outdoors pics). I have a friend at the photo store that is going to get an opinion from his Canon rep.

Yes, I meant playback on the back of the Cam.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 8,128

Fantastic series of photos!

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS R Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +18 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,912
Re: Test chart:

GeoffreyH wrote:

Thanks Redcrown & jalywol, (downloaded & will print a copy).

I'm going to do some tests (when it warms up for outdoors pics). I have a friend at the photo store that is going to get an opinion from his Canon rep.

Yes, I meant playback on the back of the Cam.

mine is great

please keep us apprised

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
ChicagoRob
ChicagoRob Contributing Member • Posts: 746

I hope you get it straightened out. I feel like I hit the lottery with mine. It is exceptional at all apertures and focal lengths. I recently used it on a vacation and the resulting files were beyond expectations. I was initially afraid that I would have problems with distortion, but surprisingly, it has very little, considering the zoom range. With the RF 24-105 profile applied in C1 Pro, the rendering is impeccable.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,912

ChicagoRob wrote:

I hope you get it straightened out. I feel like I hit the lottery with mine. It is exceptional at all apertures and focal lengths. I recently used it on a vacation and the resulting files were beyond expectations. I was initially afraid that I would have problems with distortion, but surprisingly, it has very little, considering the zoom range. With the RF 24-105 profile applied in C1 Pro, the rendering is impeccable.

though with 13 canon dslr's since 2001 shooting raw

I shoot mine with rp SOOC high jpg with lens profiles applied to get DLO etc.

It is amazing across the frame, colors are great, lens corrections are great, and noise redux is perfect

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads