Moraine Lake

Started 4 months ago | Photos
Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 294
Moraine Lake

This is a pano of four bracketed shots. Please let me know what you think.

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +15 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
cjf2 Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: Moraine Lake

Beautiful view and conditions. Well done.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,522

Austin7642 wrote:

This is a pano of four bracketed shots. Please let me know what you think.

Stunning shot; I absolutely love it!

If I were to suggest one thing, tidy up the sky a little? There's a bit of non-uniformity caused by stitching, and there are also some motes of sensor dust in the sky on the right hand side of the image. They're easy to spot if you scroll the image from side to side on screen.

stretchman Contributing Member • Posts: 940

Nice image. Tough to get the sky even when stitching that type of sky.

Prufroc Regular Member • Posts: 225

I love it! Very interesting rendering of a great subject, especially since there is nothing going on in the sky. I don't miss the missing fluffy or ominous clouds at all.

Prufroc's gear list:Prufroc's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +2 more
Mtnlover
Mtnlover Regular Member • Posts: 395

Very "cool" shot;   I like the color tonality; the sky works beautifully as shot, no clouds necessary.

-- hide signature --

Val
www.mtnlover.smugmug.com
Gear: Sony A7iii, Sony RX10 iv, Olympus Em1-ii, Olympus EM-10 ii, Sony A580 (A-mount), and Canon S95. Former owner of Maxxum 7 & 600 si Minolta film cameras and Olympus C765 digicam.

Mtnlover's gear list:Mtnlover's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7 III Sony a6600 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 1,143

I really like the composition because you have a clear foreground and background.

I also like the fact you haven't clipped the snow at all.  I can see the tone variations in the snow.

Just one observation and query -

1.  At 100% viewing, the cliff faces in the background and the trees appear a little too sharp for my liking.

2.  The exif data shows a 10s shutter speed.  Can you share why you needed such a long exposure for this scene and lighting please?

Thank you for sharing your image.  I like it

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,095

A beautiful image, but I think it would look better after cropping down a little from the top to remove some of the empty blue sky that adds nothing to the overall image.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----
"Draw me a picture of an island without any seas;
show me a map of the whole world without boundaries."

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,446

Agree.  Perhaps a vignetting correction on the original images might have provided a more uniform sky.  In any event, the final image should be easy to correct.

-- hide signature --
biff56
biff56 Contributing Member • Posts: 534

An excellent capture! Makes me want to get back there soon!

biff56's gear list:biff56's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon D780 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Canon EF 70-200 F4 II
sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 6,033

Beautiful photo! It's ready to be put on a Hallmark card ... almost ready. I think it needs a slight CCW rotation. Check the vertical alignment of the mountain peaks and their reflections.

kingslayer Regular Member • Posts: 286

l

sky looks a lot better now

photoss
photoss Regular Member • Posts: 160

I like it. I think it's well exposed, well put together, and tastefully processed (which is always a huge plus...); nice indirect winter light.

The only thing I believe could be slightly improved is the proportions: a little less sky, a little more of the bottom. But I've never been there, perhaps there are some obstructions...

Happy New Year!

-- hide signature --

Slawek
Landscape photographer & workshop leader, UK
http://www.photoss.net/
https://www.instagram.com/slawekphotos/

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,559

Beautiful! I rarely see it in winter scenes. It might look even better with sunlight illuminating the mountains.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,572

Hi, stunning image. A wall hanger! Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +4 more
Rabster64 Contributing Member • Posts: 535

Lovely shot Austin, been there quite a few times now and would love to see it in the conditions you had, took your life in your hands a bit climbing up the rocks to your position in that snow and ice I like the steely colouring in this and think it would make a great metal print. Some folks don't like the plain blue sky but that's what you had when you were there. When I've been there in the summer it has always been early evening and a bit hazy with boring sky so I've ended up merging a different sky to some shots which made a difference, as kingslayer has nicely shown with your image. Pat on the back to you for a job well done.

sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 6,033

kingslayer wrote:

l

I don't agree.

OP Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 294

kingslayer wrote:

l

What stock photo did you get that sky from?

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +15 more
kingslayer Regular Member • Posts: 286

Austin7642 wrote:

kingslayer wrote:

l

What stock photo did you get that sky from?

Luminar 4's sky replacement.

OP Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 294

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far, I appreciate the feedback immensely. I will be taking all the feedback given into account when making my last few changes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads