Twinning project ( continued)

Started Dec 30, 2019 | Discussions
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,192
Twinning project ( continued)

My twin rig continues as I fit other pieces. I pulled out a 30 year old Vivitar, remember them, camera bracket. Has more room, less wobble. Now I listened to the ideas on shutter release but am not quite there. What I will use is the Vello brand (cheap) RF triggers that I own and am ordering one more Panaconic three pole to two pole cords. I can trigger using the Vello radio gizmo on the front.

Am looking foward to cord arrival -1l bucks from B and H.

Stereo enthusiasts as we all are have to accept that Fuji is not going to release another W camera. And as always a twin rig has advantages. We suffer for our art but that makes it fun and unique. And we get 3-D pop al the time, nay?

The Cobra, a stereo camera with two matched 20mm sharp lenses by Panasonic. About 200 per.

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Simon Zeev
Simon Zeev Senior Member • Posts: 2,914
Re: Twinning project ( continued)

I use an Olympus OMD-EM10 and an Olympus E-PL5. Both cameras on an Fotomate Lp-01 and under this an JJC HR series Remote Pistol Grip.   the pistol grip have a 2.5mm socket an I cannibalize 2 Remote cable for Olympus an added a 3.5mm male plug at both end. An 2x3.5mm female to 1x2.5mm male adapter connect them to the pistol grip (or to an Wireless Remote) The 50mm distance between cameras doesn't matter for pictures taken at more than 1m distance. I use the setup mostly handheld and with the EVF or the LCD.

The white printed mechanism I design for zooming together both cameras.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Zeev
Simon = family name so... call me Zeev!
http://public.fotki.com/zeev-simon/
http://picasaweb.google.com/zeev.simon

Simon Zeev's gear list:Simon Zeev's gear list
Canon PowerShot S1 IS Ricoh Caplio GX100 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +1 more
Gerry Siegel
OP Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,192

I admire the ingenuity on this forum, Zeev. Printing a zoom  Yoke  *connector like that, for instance.

So many ways to link up two cameras. In my dog eared stereo book from the 1950s, Make Your Own Stereo author says he felt two paired cameras ( Robot motorized with German lenses, big buck item) was his ultimate answer to great stereo. It was early time for the well heeled European mostly....until we got the Realist and even then not a cheap hobby.

I started as a kid then with two Kodak box cameras belted together. And by george it worked.

I could not believe that two images could fool the brain and produce depth. Wow I thought, now this is photography at its best. I still do.

* it is acceptable of course to yoke together two Olympus cameras    : - ( wink)

Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Simon Zeev
Simon Zeev Senior Member • Posts: 2,914

Thank you Gerry.

3D is not very popular hobby. I love to see my 3D pictures on the 3DTV and I am sorry that they stop to make those TV's.

I have in my pocket an 2 lens portable device that mounts on my smartphone so I can show 3D pictures to everyone. My wife says that I hunt victims th see my 3D pictures!!!

I begin to shoot 3D in 2010 and now 90% of my pictures are 3D even when diving.

Is a shame that the industry walk away from 3D.

I hope that in the future it will return.

Happy New Year!!!!!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Zeev
Simon = family name so... call me Zeev!
http://public.fotki.com/zeev-simon/
http://picasaweb.google.com/zeev.simon

Simon Zeev's gear list:Simon Zeev's gear list
Canon PowerShot S1 IS Ricoh Caplio GX100 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +1 more
Gerry Siegel
Re: Twinning project (latest update..test pair, completed and they are stereoscopic..)

Twinned GX 7 with radio frequency shutter synch and added rubber 46 mm hoods Vello 4" siamese  plate on grip

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I admire the ingenuity on this forum, Zeev. Printing a zoom Yoke *connector like that, for instance.

So many ways to link up two cameras. In my dog eared stereo book from the 1950s, Make Your Own Stereo author says he felt two paired cameras ( Robot motorized with German lenses, big buck item) was his ultimate answer to great stereo. It was early time for the well heeled European mostly....until we got the Realist and even then not a cheap hobby.

I started as a kid then with two Kodak box cameras belted together. And by george it worked.

I could not believe that two images could fool the brain and produce depth. Wow I thought, now this is photography at its best. I still do.

* it is acceptable of course to yoke together two Olympus cameras : - ( wink)

Synchronization is not so tough. I use two of the B and H vello units with cords to fit the Panasonics. The first one I had bought for another purpose was top heavy, and the Vello brand makes a series of flat extenders ( actually a stiff plastic) with a solid brass shoe. Now I use the Vello RF unit in hand to get the focus ( green light) and then shutters released ( green light). I have added a flat slider I bought some time ago from George Themelis to brace the whole kaboodle and it lowers center or gravity and will allow tripod mounting,

My toughtest part will be 1) getting the two images aligned. I can either learn Windows 10 and use SPM or-to my mind a sweeter idea- learn how to do alignment for card or free viewing with my MAC version of Photoshop Elemtents...Brian of UK does it so I need to consider same.

I guess it will keep me off the streets for a while yet.....aloha, Gerry

Gerry Siegel
Re: Twinning project (latest update..test pair, completed and they are stereoscopic..)

I call this two eyed monster my secret lab project.  A la Doktor Viktor Frankenstein.  Indeed it is made of some old body part   Vivitar hand grip is at  least 35 years old.  Says made in Japan.  Bronica camera spacer under the left camera.  One GX7 and lens bought used from KEH,  Vello radio frequency release supplies shutter configuration.  Yet I wish it were a couple millimeters closer than the 74 1/2 spacing.  More like the old Realist which was closer to eyeball distance and the Richard Verascope which was even closer.

I will post a couple images as soon as I can.   The 20mm 1.7 lenses are very good. One of Panasonics best bargains.   And 40mm equivalency is good enough for me.

As Frankenstein says  ' Itsalive..Itsalive   lol

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads