90D for wildlife?

Started Dec 26, 2019 | Discussions
JackiePan
JackiePan Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: 90D for wildlife?

Tannin wrote:

Hi Jackie.

You have the best all-round birding lens on the planet. It would be a sad waste of that beautiful lens to pair it with a second-rate camera, or one not suited to your purpose. Make the most of that lens by pairing it with a 5D IV. Great AF, outstanding handling and controls, wonderful sensor with good ISO performance and heaps of resolution .... find the money somehow, you won't regret it.

Thanks for your suggestion, but i will not go for 5DIV, currently i am using Sony A7R3 with MC11 adaptor, it is just okay to shoot these non fast moving objects, and i can get clear shot(i put 3 pictures of this combination).  What i need is to get a strong AF tracking camera to shoot BIF. Plus 5DIV is beyond my budget.

With 2.0TC, by ASPC mode of A7R3.

JackiePan's gear list:JackiePan's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Gazmon Forum Member • Posts: 61

I bought the 90D last week , it’s a fantastic camera but I have certain favourite lenses that are not as good with the 90d it seems , I have a sigma 150-600 sports and 500mm usm IS for wildlife That  give great images with the 90d so that’s a bonus

My mki 100-400 is as great

but my 7dm2 gives great images with all my lenses , so does my 1D m4 , I’m a bit disappointed in my new purchase as I’ve got to buy more lenses , but I will hang in there with it

MuzzaAus Senior Member • Posts: 2,070

Hi Birdshooter7,

I agree that it seems AI Servo Zone AF has not made much progress for several years with Canon. A friend has the D500 Nikon. He seems to get a higher keeper rate than me. I am impressed with the new sensor in the 90D when critical focus is achieved.The colours in the background are very balanced and non-intrusive. I like the extra cropping with the 33MP sensor. My 80D is more consistent in Zone AF than the 90D but I am still getting some very useable images with my 90D. A firmware update giving 7FPS as an option would be useful but I wouldn't hold my breath for Canon to provide that update.

I have always enjoyed your excellent bird photography. Yours is a standard to aspire to.

Cheers

Murray

The Red Kneed Dotterel is the smallest bird I have tried to track.

It is smaller than a Sandpiper

Silvereye

Pale Yellow Robin

kpr1291 Forum Member • Posts: 52

MuzzaAus wrote:

Hi Birdshooter7,

I agree that it seems AI Servo Zone AF has not made much progress for several years with Canon. A friend has the D500 Nikon. He seems to get a higher keeper rate than me. I am impressed with the new sensor in the 90D when critical focus is achieved.The colours in the background are very balanced and non-intrusive. I like the extra cropping with the 33MP sensor. My 80D is more consistent in Zone AF than the 90D but I am still getting some very useable images with my 90D. A firmware update giving 7FPS as an option would be useful but I wouldn't hold my breath for Canon to provide that update.

I have always enjoyed your excellent bird photography. Yours is a standard to aspire to.

Cheers

Murray

The Red Kneed Dotterel is the smallest bird I have tried to track.

It is smaller than a Sandpiper

Silvereye

Pale Yellow Robin

Nice shots, they look very clean. What did you use to clean the noise?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello kpr1291,

I am currently using Topaz Denoise AI which is the latest version from Topaz. The AI (selective intelligent noise reduction) seems to leave in-focus subject detail alone and mostly clean OOF background. This is the best noise reduction program that I have come across. I can use ISO 2000- 3200 with the new 90D and still retain detail and accurate colour.

Cheers

Murray

Pale Yellow Robin (juvenile)

Silvereye

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,393

Gazmon wrote:

I bought the 90D last week , it’s a fantastic camera but I have certain favourite lenses that are not as good with the 90d it seems , I have a sigma 150-600 sports and 500mm usm IS for wildlife That give great images with the 90d so that’s a bonus

but my 7dm2 gives great images with all my lenses , so does my 1D m4 , I’m a bit disappointed in my new purchase as I’ve got to buy more lenses , but I will hang in there with it

You really should make clear what you are unhappy about.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,474

Nice shots and I’m also impressed with the 90d sensor, no complaints from me about that.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,120

Gazmon wrote:

I bought the 90D last week , it’s a fantastic camera but I have certain favourite lenses that are not as good with the 90d it seems , I have a sigma 150-600 sports and 500mm usm IS for wildlife That give great images with the 90d so that’s a bonus

What lenses are you not happy with on the 90d? Every lens i have is as good or better than they were on the 80d and 60d.

-- hide signature --

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +10 more
kpr1291 Forum Member • Posts: 52

MuzzaAus wrote:

Hello kpr1291,

I am currently using Topaz Denoise AI which is the latest version from Topaz. The AI (selective intelligent noise reduction) seems to leave in-focus subject detail alone and mostly clean OOF background. This is the best noise reduction program that I have come across. I can use ISO 2000- 3200 with the new 90D and still retain detail and accurate colour.

Cheers

Murray

Pale Yellow Robin (juvenile)

Silvereye

Wow! Beautiful shots! I downloaded the trial version last week but was unable to use it since is not recognizing the files of the 90D. How are you opening the files?

Kev,

John Sheehy wrote:

Gazmon wrote:

You really should make clear what you are unhappy about.

I’ve had to try it out with lenses , I’m getting better quality now I jumped the gun a bit , I have no real issues , in fact I tryed a little bit of portrait at my photo club last night , the results I got with my 50mm 1.8 were very very pleasing ... thanks to Natasha at https://www.natashajbella.co.uk

Gave amazing advice on portrait picture taking , and I loved my 90d images

jvc1 wrote:

Gazmon wrote:

What lenses are you not happy with on the 90d? Every lens i have is as good or better than they were on the 80d and 60d.

Read my previous post

Hi kpr1291,

When I purchased the 90D, initially I did not download the latest version of Canon EOS Utility. I continued to use the version I received with my 80D.Lightroom and Topaz did not recognize my files from the 90D.When I downloaded the 90D version of Canon EOS Utility, everything works fine now.

Cheers

Murray

Juvenile White Sea Eagle

Silvereye

Juvenile White Bellied Sea Eagle

burty11 New Member • Posts: 1

Why not try a lighter Fuji ?

KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 549

burty11 wrote:

Why not try a lighter Fuji ?

Fuji doesn't have wildlife lenses.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +3 more

Yep, that’s probably my main issue with Panasonic and Olympus as well.  Too bad, some of their bodies look very interesting to me but without the glass I won’t bother.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,546

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Yep, that’s probably my main issue with Panasonic and Olympus as well. Too bad, some of their bodies look very interesting to me but without the glass I won’t bother.

Olympus is working on a 150-400mm lens with built-in 1.25 converter though, which should arrive this year.

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Nikon D500 Sony a7R II Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4

Yes that’s a good start.  They should come out with something that goes to 600mm as well.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads