Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera

Started Dec 24, 2019 | Discussions
JFR87 New Member • Posts: 2
Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera

Hello everyone, thank you helping me to start off with.

I'll try and keep this short. I'm looking for a new camera, a good all round point and shoot. I do not own a camera now. Been looking to maybe buy one since around 2016. In terms of what I am looking for, something like a premium point and shoot, like the Canon G5X. One of those DSLR quality point and shoots. Main use will be for taking pictures, video is not really a need at all, nor is 4k. Just looking for what will give me the best, sharpest, clearest picture quality. Low light is something I would like to be able to shoot, including sunsets. Still's and nature will be mostly what I am using this for, not fast shooting or action. Maybe some urban. This camera will replace my smart phone witch really is not good (galaxy S8+), witch I really can't use as a camera at all no matter how many time I try.

What I'm looking for in what a camera can do it this,

-low F stop

-good image stabilization because I have shaky hands

-a viewfinder

-able to take low light shots, and night time shots if possible

-able to get a bokeh effect

-a very clear, sharp, crisp final photo

-something I can grow with

I really like the G5X, but it has mixed reviews, some talk about a "lag", and it's old now. The G5X Mark II looks like it takes amazing pictures from what I've seen on instagram, but has a pop up viewfinder. I don't know what is good and bad these days with cameras so I need to talk to real people, not a pros review. Have any of you owned both cameras? Other possible options?

Thank you all very much for your time and help, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a great Holiday.

Canon G5 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,161
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera
1

JFR87 wrote:

Hello everyone, thank you helping me to start off with.

I'll try and keep this short. I'm looking for a new camera, a good all round point and shoot. I do not own a camera now. Been looking to maybe buy one since around 2016. In terms of what I am looking for, something like a premium point and shoot, like the Canon G5X. One of those DSLR quality point and shoots. Main use will be for taking pictures, video is not really a need at all, nor is 4k. Just looking for what will give me the best, sharpest, clearest picture quality. Low light is something I would like to be able to shoot, including sunsets. Still's and nature will be mostly what I am using this for, not fast shooting or action. Maybe some urban. This camera will replace my smart phone witch really is not good (galaxy S8+), witch I really can't use as a camera at all no matter how many time I try.

What I'm looking for in what a camera can do it this,

-low F stop

-good image stabilization because I have shaky hands

-a viewfinder

-able to take low light shots, and night time shots if possible

-able to get a bokeh effect

-a very clear, sharp, crisp final photo

-something I can grow with

I really like the G5X, but it has mixed reviews, some talk about a "lag", and it's old now. The G5X Mark II looks like it takes amazing pictures from what I've seen on instagram, but has a pop up viewfinder. I don't know what is good and bad these days with cameras so I need to talk to real people, not a pros review. Have any of you owned both cameras? Other possible options?

Thank you all very much for your time and help, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a great Holiday.

I'm sure the G5X would make a lot of people happy but read the DPR review of the camera and in the conclusion be sure to pay attention to the "what we don't" like section.

Sometimes this is more important than any other portion of a review.

  • JPEG noise reduction at high ISO values lags the competition
  • Low ISO JPEGs can have fine detail smeared due to noise reduction

These problems with the G5X may or may not be important to you but they are worth considering.

Lots of good cameras out there and some of the most popular would be one of the RX100 series cameras but everyone is different and I've always liked the LX100 better than any other fixed lens zoom camera.

I have the Leica clone (D-Lux type 109) and really like it.

Naturally, if you don't need a zoom lens there are great fixed lens cameras that fall into the compact category.

Anyway, good luck.

techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,300
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera
2

A Panasonic LX100 then.

The premium quality is really a function of the lens, and this one has a good Leica lens on it. It has a wide aperture (1.8, zooms to 2.8 which normally requires Pro lenses on an interchangeable lens camera) and it has a large sensor - for a compact camera, that is.
It has more megapixels than you can display on any screen you own.

It's been around for a while but still sought after, because it's a serious device for a second or pocket camera for more serious photographers.

 techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,161
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera
1

techie takes pics wrote:

A Panasonic LX100 then.

The premium quality is really a function of the lens, and this one has a good Leica lens on it. It has a wide aperture (1.8, zooms to 2.8 which normally requires Pro lenses on an interchangeable lens camera) and it has a large sensor - for a compact camera, that is.
It has more megapixels than you can display on any screen you own.

It's been around for a while but still sought after, because it's a serious device for a second or pocket camera for more serious photographers.

In the DPR review of the original LX100, Richard Butler said it was absolutely the best-fixed zoom lens camera they had ever tested and after using it and a few other cameras I definitely agree with him.

I sometimes wonder why the Sony RX100 series gets so much more attention.

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,571
Panasonic LX100 MkII
2

Large (for a compact) sensor, bright & sharp lens, good (for a compact) ergonomics, lots of control points, built-in EVF, 18MP for A1 prints. Less noise in low light than an MFT or APS ILC with kit zoom.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

 Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,571
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera
1

Ed B wrote:

techie takes pics wrote:

A Panasonic LX100 then.

The premium quality is really a function of the lens, and this one has a good Leica lens on it. It has a wide aperture (1.8, zooms to 2.8 which normally requires Pro lenses on an interchangeable lens camera) and it has a large sensor - for a compact camera, that is.
It has more megapixels than you can display on any screen you own.

It's been around for a while but still sought after, because it's a serious device for a second or pocket camera for more serious photographers.

In the DPR review of the original LX100, Richard Butler said it was absolutely the best-fixed zoom lens camera they had ever tested and after using it and a few other cameras I definitely agree with him.

I sometimes wonder why the Sony RX100 series gets so much more attention.

The Sony fits in a smaller pocket.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

 Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,161
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera
1

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Ed B wrote:

techie takes pics wrote:

A Panasonic LX100 then.

The premium quality is really a function of the lens, and this one has a good Leica lens on it. It has a wide aperture (1.8, zooms to 2.8 which normally requires Pro lenses on an interchangeable lens camera) and it has a large sensor - for a compact camera, that is.
It has more megapixels than you can display on any screen you own.

It's been around for a while but still sought after, because it's a serious device for a second or pocket camera for more serious photographers.

In the DPR review of the original LX100, Richard Butler said it was absolutely the best-fixed zoom lens camera they had ever tested and after using it and a few other cameras I definitely agree with him.

I sometimes wonder why the Sony RX100 series gets so much more attention.

The Sony fits in a smaller pocket.

That's true and a lot of people love the RX100 series.

When I was originally looking for a fixed zoom lens camera I bought an RX100 III and I thought the image quality was very good, especially considering it has a one-inch sensor but there were a lot of things I didn't like about the camera and I ended up selling it after just a few weeks.

Everyone is different but the Sony just wasn't the right for me.

I have the Leica version of the LX100 (same camera inside) and even though it's not as pocket-friendly as the RX100 series it's a much better camera for me.

Just the same, I can understand why a lot of people like the RX100 cameras.

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,571
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera
2

Ed B wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Ed B wrote:

techie takes pics wrote:

A Panasonic LX100 then.

The premium quality is really a function of the lens, and this one has a good Leica lens on it. It has a wide aperture (1.8, zooms to 2.8 which normally requires Pro lenses on an interchangeable lens camera) and it has a large sensor - for a compact camera, that is.
It has more megapixels than you can display on any screen you own.

It's been around for a while but still sought after, because it's a serious device for a second or pocket camera for more serious photographers.

In the DPR review of the original LX100, Richard Butler said it was absolutely the best-fixed zoom lens camera they had ever tested and after using it and a few other cameras I definitely agree with him.

I sometimes wonder why the Sony RX100 series gets so much more attention.

The Sony fits in a smaller pocket.

That's true and a lot of people love the RX100 series.

When I was originally looking for a fixed zoom lens camera I bought an RX100 III and I thought the image quality was very good, especially considering it has a one-inch sensor but there were a lot of things I didn't like about the camera and I ended up selling it after just a few weeks.

Everyone is different but the Sony just wasn't the right for me.

I have the Leica version of the LX100 (same camera inside) and even though it's not as pocket-friendly as the RX100 series it's a much better camera for me.

Just the same, I can understand why a lot of people like the RX100 cameras.

I have an LX100. It's about as small as a camera can be and still feel and operate like a "real" camera.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

 Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
OP JFR87 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Need help choosing a premium point and shoots camera

Thank you very much for all the help so far guys! The Panasonic LX100 MkII and Mk I always did catch my eye.  The sony RX100 V was a camera I did look at, but another pop up VF and no touch screen.  I am a newb to all this.  I took photo in HS but that was with film, digital was just starting then.  The Sony RX100 V, and VA do take so really nice pictures, but not for me.  I would like if the camera came with auto mode, so I can use it on auto, until I learn manual.  My short list of cameras that I really like are these, G5X, LX100 Mk II (might be to advanced for me) G1X Mark III is something I like but don't understand because of the APS-C sensor is suspose to bring in more light, but has a slower lenses, witch just confuses me (need input from you guys on that one if its for me.) and finally the G5X Mark II, witch I just need to know how much better is it in pictures quality then the G5X Mark I, would not buy it, just need to know for comparison reasons.  Thanks again so much everyone, you are helping me so much.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads