Brickmaking beside the church of San Isidro de Iruya

Started Dec 19, 2019 | Photos
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,849
Brickmaking beside the church of San Isidro de Iruya

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221
Re: Brickmaking beside the church of San Isidro de Iruya

I think this is a lovely study of contrasts, forms, and textures. Well done!

Tweaks I would consider (at least today -- tomorrow might be a different story):

• set white point on the building - I used 245.245.245 to avoid any clipping
  • slightly increase contrast on the stone wall and bricks, and also on the background mountains
  • add a slight gradient to the sky so it isn't quite so flat

OP noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,849

sabrina81 wrote:

Tweaks I would consider (at least today -- tomorrow might be a different story):

• slightly increase contrast on the stone wall and bricks, and also on the background mountains

Thank you very much. I like those improvements. These are mostly beyond my editing capabilities as I use Capture One to develop from RAW with global setting only and no other SW although I understand how to do them if I had the patience to figure out how to mask.

I also did not like how the sky was so dark, but I needed it that way to contrast with the mountains. However adding the sky gradient solved that issue. Something I can consider for future similar issue.

As to the white point I purposely kept it lower as there were highlights around the edges that were blowing out.  I was not sure how to increase the WP without further blowing them.  I do agree it looks better brighter.

I also played (more than considered carefully) with the color channels in B/W conversion, maybe on some a bit aggressively so there may be more to work with from the original.

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Prufroc Regular Member • Posts: 225

Nice photo. I love the composition.

Prufroc's gear list:Prufroc's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +2 more

Prufroc wrote:

Yes. I forgot to mention that the composition is impeccable.

sabrina81 wrote:

Prufroc wrote:

Yes. I forgot to mention that the composition is impeccable.

Thank you both very much. I appreciate positive feedback as much as critical.

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788

Nice B&W.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Updated version

noisebeam wrote:

sabrina81 wrote:

Thank you very much. I like those improvements.

I attempted to take some of those suggestions using global adjustments. The WP was easy.. I still prefer your gradient sky and more local contrast in the mountains, but will leave that for later when I am patient to learn how.  I also cropped it a bit tighter on the right to remove some edge jitter.

Re: Updated version

noisebeam wrote:

I attempted to take some of those suggestions using global adjustments. The WP was easy.. I still prefer your gradient sky and more local contrast in the mountains, but will leave that for later when I am patient to learn how.

Yes, move beyond global adjustments and learn how to make local adjustments (with layers and masks). It is well worth the time and effort to learn.

sabrina81 wrote:

noisebeam wrote:

I attempted to take some of those suggestions using global adjustments. The WP was easy.. I still prefer your gradient sky and more local contrast in the mountains, but will leave that for later when I am patient to learn how.

Yes, move beyond global adjustments and learn how to make local adjustments (with layers and masks). It is well worth the time and effort to learn.

I can and have used layers and basic masks sometimes with hand drawn various sizes of fat blurry brushes to simulate dodging/burning, occasionally contrast or other and also rarely used basic gradients across parts or all of image. It is the detailed masks and those that follow contours I need to take the step to figure out. I can't hand draw them effectively and not sure if or what what extent the editor I use can automatically find edges and of what type to help me get a clean edge where needed.

I did notice in your edit that there is an artifact of a dark line on the mountain top edge against the sky top left and a few other places. Perhaps due to a quick edit and/or too small to affect image. Are these hand drawn? I use a mouse which is also a hindrance.

noisebeam wrote:

I did notice in your edit that there is an artifact of a dark line on the mountain top edge against the sky top left and a few other places. Perhaps due to a quick edit and/or too small to affect image. Are these hand drawn? I use a mouse which is also a hindrance.

Yes, I made that mask quickly using the quick select tool, just to illustrate the effect. On a high res image I would refine that edge to eliminate the dark line. The fact that you spotted it shows that you have a good eye for detail. You should be able to make very clean masks/edits with a little practice.

Dorotich Forum Member • Posts: 89

Thank you noisebeam and sabrina81 for the respectful exchange of ideas. This is the type of critique and response that can make the forum flourish. I hope more members emulate your approach.

And I agree with sabrina, this is a beautifully composed image and an excellent use of B&W.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads