Long exposure on Z6

Started Dec 19, 2019 | Discussions
VidJa Regular Member • Posts: 476
Long exposure on Z6

Does anyone have  experience with long exposure shots with the Z system? ( e.g. 5 minutes or longer with ND filters to blur waves and clouds)

-- hide signature --

'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.', Eleanor Roosevelt
http://www.vidja.nl

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl-FR
Karl-FR Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Long exposure on Z6

Hello Vidja,

I do long exposure with my Z6, but not 5min long. Most of the time 30 or 60 seconds.

I have an Flickr album with my Z6 pictures. Most of them are long exposure.

Z6 long exposure

If I can give you any information, let me know.

Karl.

Karl-FR's gear list:Karl-FR's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +3 more
OP VidJa Regular Member • Posts: 476

Brilliant pictures, especially Aujourd'hui, le soleil s'est encore levé. 44/52

-- hide signature --

'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.', Eleanor Roosevelt

George Paulides Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

VidJa wrote:

Does anyone have experience with long exposure shots with the Z system? ( e.g. 5 minutes or longer with ND filters to blur waves and clouds).

For long exposures I always shoot RAW and turn off "Long Exposure NR" otherwise you will be waiting double the time for the image to be processed.

If you want to shoot JPEG then leave "Long Exposure NR" on to ensure you have no noise in your image but be prepared for a long wait for the file to be processed in-camera.

OP VidJa Regular Member • Posts: 476

I always shoot raw. I’d like to cook my own food so do I like to cook my own images. rawTherapy and darktable are my friends these days

-- hide signature --

George Paulides Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

Excellent!

DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 326

I too shot long exposures. Not 5 minutes though as I typically shoot just after sunset. Longest exposure for me has been no longer than 2-1/2 minutes. Usually I average between 1-2 minutes.

The Z system makes long exposure shots A DREAM and FUN. What lenses are yall using? I started out with the 20mm 1.8G, but found myself loving to use my Sigma 24-105mm f/4 and Voigtlander 58mm 1.4.

I took this with the 20mm at f/11 for just over 2 minutes.

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9089058972/photos/3873351/dsc_1605-edit-2-edit

I always keep Long Exposure NR set to ON. I don't mind waiting the extra time to have the camera to remove hot pixels.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D3S Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +11 more
Rico Schiekel
Rico Schiekel Regular Member • Posts: 412

I like long exposures a lot, typically in the range of 5 - 350 seconds depending on the scene.

You can find pictures taken with the Z6 and Z7 and D850 here: https://www.downgra.de/Explore/Long-Exposures/

I use the Nisi 100mm filter holder with 6 or 10 stop ND filters often in combination with a soft or hard grad. For sunrise or sunset images on the beach I prefer to use a reverse grad.

I had very good experiences with the two Z mount 24-70 lenses and also with the 14-30.  Sometimes I forget to remove the polariser when shooting around 14mm... doh 🙈

Let me know if you have any questions.

Rico Schiekel's gear list:Rico Schiekel's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +14 more
Sacred
Sacred Regular Member • Posts: 451

VidJa wrote:

Does anyone have experience with long exposure shots with the Z system? ( e.g. 5 minutes or longer with ND filters to blur waves and clouds)

What do you want to know? I have formatt-hitech 16 stop ND filter. I find that multiple 30sec exposures give better results, both while shooting and editing.

Sacred's gear list:Sacred's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Bmark Senior Member • Posts: 2,463

I At this time I'm more interested in using the filter holder with the 14-30, do you get vignetting with that set up?  I've read that the NiSi holder does not vignette with the 14-30 but it would be great to hear from someone that has used that combination.

-- hide signature --
 Bmark's gear list:Bmark's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 II Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +11 more
Karl-FR
Karl-FR Forum Member • Posts: 89

Bmark wrote:

I At this time I'm more interested in using the filter holder with the 14-30, do you get vignetting with that set up? I've read that the NiSi holder does not vignette with the 14-30 but it would be great to hear from someone that has used that combination.

Hello, just to let you know Bmark,

I use screw-on filter for my 14-30mm f4 S.

If I use just one ND filter (ND8, ND64 or ND1000), there is no vignetting at all. I use Haida PRO II Digital MC. Those are slim filter.

On the other hand, If I screw my polarizer on it, I got vignettage. I have to zoom just a little bit. On my EXIF, it show 14.5mm.

Karl-FR's gear list:Karl-FR's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +3 more
That Tech Guy Junior Member • Posts: 33

Not trying to resurrect an old thread but will the Z6 all allow you to do exposures above 30 sec internally without a cable?

PIOT Junior Member • Posts: 28

900 sec - 15 min ( sorry Z6 II )

PIOT's gear list:PIOT's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +4 more

ok so the Z6 cannot do more than 30 sec?  You mentioned Z6ii

goldaccess Regular Member • Posts: 154

Of course it can. There is a "Time" Mode after the 30 seconds and Bulb setting. You just need to stop the exposure manually.

goldaccess's gear list:goldaccess's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon D4 +17 more
goldaccess Regular Member • Posts: 154

Yes. No Problem.

goldaccess's gear list:goldaccess's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon D4 +17 more
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,707

For what it's worth my Z5 has a 200-sec limit in Time setting, but only while it is in Shutter Priority mode. In Manual mode, the shutter will stay open as long as you wish in Time mode.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more

SO these can be done internally without a cable release?  This is good.  I like to do 4 min exposures at times, not often but nighttime city contrasts are awesome.  I was able to do it with my X-t3 unto 8 min and that was fun.

OK great.  I appreciate this feed back,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads