Catalina and Epson V500: Epson Scan alternatives

Started Dec 19, 2019 | Discussions
2manydjs Junior Member • Posts: 37
Catalina and Epson V500: Epson Scan alternatives

My father's iMac broke down and he had to replace it. The new device comes with 10.15 Catalina and (sadly) his Epson Perfection V500 scanner is not fully supported. My understanding is that, as of now, Epson only supplies a scanner driver that makes it compatible with Apple's Image Capture, not with the new Epson Scan 2.

I have read about VueScan as an alternative, and the V500 is listed as compatible but I do wonder if that is the case for macOS 10.15 as well as the Vue Scan website refers to installing the Epson driver (which would not be possible in macOS10.15).

I would like to advise my father on his options, but need to understand the following:

- What would no longer be possible when using Image Capture in his workflow? I assume Image Capture can scan as 16 bit Tiff or similar meaning all adjustments could be done post-scanning? The main function I am concerned about is infrared dust removal: would this be possible at all using Image Capture in the workflow?

- Is VueScan actually an alternative for this scanner in macOS 10.15, seeing the driver is not actually available in macOS 10.15?

Also does anyone know Epson's track record? Is there any chance they will add V500 support in Epson Scan 2 down the road?

2manydjs's gear list:2manydjs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
PhilM oz Senior Member • Posts: 1,335
Re: Catalina and Epson V500: Epson Scan alternatives

You can download and try VueScan for free to see if it works on the V500.

I have a V700 and VueScan works fine.

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,617

Epson scan 2 seems to work fine with my Epson V370 Photo scanner.

Does it not work with the V500?

I

LouCioccio
LouCioccio Senior Member • Posts: 2,266

“With SilverFast 8.8.0r18 we have a free update available now for SilverFast 8. This update is compatible with macOS 10.14 Mojave and macOS 10.15 Catalina.”

I use Vuescan and previously SilverFast but when upgrading to Mojave SilverFast was 32bit and did not work. Although I am retired from photography I did note that SilverFast was working on an update and sure enough with above quote email they have.

I have some pet peeves with manufacturers when they built in obsolescence and/or make it impossible to repair. I realize OS features and securities that will happen but for drivers give me a break. I bought Vuescan years ago when my Microtek scanner would not work because of OS upgrades and they (Microtek) were not going to make drivers. My current one is on TPMS module it has a sealed battery when the battery dies you need to buy a new module. If I remember from parochial school days taught by nun’s that is a sin although no TPMS WERE made in that era!

lou cioccio

LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
OP 2manydjs Junior Member • Posts: 37

Thanks for your input.

My father tried the VueScan trial and it did work in Catalina.  He next did a test with Image Capture, VueScan and Epson Scan (on Mojave).  He was much happier with the results of Epson Scan.  So for now, he has connected the scanner to an older Mac mini to perform the scanning.

Maybe one day Epson will release a new driver so the V500 can be used with Epson Scan 2...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
OP 2manydjs Junior Member • Posts: 37

LouCioccio wrote:

“With SilverFast 8.8.0r18 we have a free update available now for SilverFast 8. This update is compatible with macOS 10.14 Mojave and macOS 10.15 Catalina.”

I use Vuescan and previously SilverFast but when upgrading to Mojave SilverFast was 32bit and did not work.

lou cioccio

Thanks I will forward this suggestion to my father, and see if he can compare the results with the others.  The website does list the V500 as compatible and the software is less expensive than VueScan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads