CFexpress (grumble-grumble)

Started Dec 18, 2019 | Discussions
rick colman Regular Member • Posts: 126
CFexpress (grumble-grumble)

Looking at my pile of high-performance SD cards, I grumbled about spending $400 on a pair of XQD cards and reader.

Now, am I supposed to spend another $400 on CFexpress cards?

i shoot stills -

(video is a passing fad, raw video is for the truly afflicted ...)

rick colman's gear list:rick colman's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,755
Re: CFexpress (grumble-grumble)

rick colman wrote:

Looking at my pile of high-performance SD cards, I grumbled about spending $400 on a pair of XQD cards and reader.

i shoot stills -

Why do you need to spend another $400 on CFexpress cards?  Did your XQD cards suddenly stop working?

If at some point in the future you find that you need more cards then that will be the time to buy new CFexpress cards.  No reason to run out and buy them now just because Nikon released a new shiny toy just before Christmas.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +34 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,887

michaeladawson wrote:

rick colman wrote:

i shoot stills -

Why do you need to spend another $400 on CFexpress cards? Did your XQD cards suddenly stop working?

If at some point in the future you find that you need more cards then that will be the time to buy new CFexpress cards. No reason to run out and buy them now just because Nikon released a new shiny toy just before Christmas.

I hope people understand that CFx cards are unlikely going to improve the performance for the Z6 and Z7, relative to existing XQD cards.

For one thing CFx is more future proof, e.g. for 8K video down the road, etc. Canon will soon announce the 1Dx Mark III and Nikon the D6. We'll see whether those cameras can take full advantage of CFx.

However, one big difference is that CFx manufacturers will no longer need to pay royalty to Sony. That is partly why we have gone from 1 or 2 suppliers for XQD to like a dozen or so CFx manufacturers. There will be plenty of competition and future price savings. I expect major price reductions for CFx in 2020 (and beyond). Unless one need more cards immediately, I would definitely wait.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon D850 Nikon D750 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 959

That's my view too: adding CFE to their cameras is just Nikon making sure we don't get stuck using a card standard no one makes: we were down to 1 XQD manufacturer not too long ago. I don't expect any speed increases either.

Also, XQD cards should be usable in future type B CFE slots.

beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 7,434

michaeladawson wrote:

rick colman wrote:

i shoot stills -

Why do you need to spend another $400 on CFexpress cards? Did your XQD cards suddenly stop working?

If at some point in the future you find that you need more cards then that will be the time to buy new CFexpress cards. No reason to run out and buy them now just because Nikon released a new shiny toy just before Christmas.

And to add to this:  those same XQD cards that didn't suddenly stop working should also work just fine in future CFExpress cameras.

Just like how UHS-I SD cards didn't stop working when UHS-II SD cards came out.

amicx Regular Member • Posts: 136

Imho there is probably no need for Cfe in the recent Z series. Instead I hope for a price drop for XQD Cards in the near future...

amicx's gear list:amicx's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
hollygolitely Junior Member • Posts: 45

beatboxa wrote:

And to add to this: those same XQD cards that didn't suddenly stop working should also work just fine in future CFExpress cameras.

Hmm ... not sure that's the case ...

beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 7,434

hollygolitely wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

And to add to this: those same XQD cards that didn't suddenly stop working should also work just fine in future CFExpress cameras.

Hmm ... not sure that's the case ...

It will depend on firmwares.  But CFExpress is inherently designed to be backwards compatible with XQD--it was actually originally based on XQD.  Whether or not manufacturers include the firmware is a different matter; though I'd expect they will for at least a while.

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,320

rick colman wrote:

i shoot stills -

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  Buy it or not.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,869

rick colman wrote:

i shoot stills -

You're not thinking about this correctly.  First, it's not clear that there's any advantage at this moment to using a CFExpress card over an XQD card so there's very little reason to swap one for the other right now.  Just keep using your existing XQD cards just fine.  Just like when a faster version of SD cards came out, nobody felt they had to trash their existing SD cards immediately.

A better way to think about the new CFE support is to think that Nikon just announced support for the new improved XQD2 format which now no longer has to pay a royalty to Sony and has the ability in the future to go even faster for newer cameras or newer card readers).  All your existing XQD cards continue to work just like they always did.  Oh, and instead of just a couple manufacturers of XQD, there will be many manufacturers for XQD2 so there should be more competition and better availability once production and product support gets going.

Oh, and instead of just one company (Sony) controlling the standard for XQD, the newer XQD2 is an open standard worked on by a consortium of companies and available to all.

Oh, and by the way, instead of the name "XQD2", they decided to call it CFExpress instead.

-- hide signature --

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads