With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 3,412
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

tqlla wrote:

This weekend, Canon put the EOS R on sale for $1500, with discounts as low as $1300. Even less using Canon's loyalty program, which Sony doesnt have. The EOS RP is only $1000.

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS, but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen. If you are looking at current like for like prices. Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

• A7iii is $1800 vs EOS R $1300 vs EOS RP $1000
  • 35mm FE=$750 vs RF=$450
  • Adapter FE=$180 vs RF=included or $100
  • 70-200 GM=$2600 vs RF=$2700
  • 24-70 GM=$2200 vs RF=$2300
  • 24-105 GM=$1100 vs RF=$900
  • 24-200 GM=$950 vs RF=$900

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now. And now it looks like Sony needs to adjust their prices.

It’s nice that you want to give Canon a boost here, but personally I’ve never missed a full touch screen menu, my A9’s EVF is excellent and my screen flips just fine for my purposes.

Why on earth would I go back to Canon who are still playing catch-up with mirrorless technologies and offerings that are still lagging far behind Sony’s and quite likely to be abandoned later just as Betamax and Divx have since died from a similar lack of consumer support?

On the basis of a few sales discounts is what you are suggesting? Sorry but that’s just ridiculous.

So I should sell my current gear and move back for a better EVF and a touch screen? I think not.

There are times when having the greatest and latest techs isn't the end all be all. Some people find certain aspects of other cameras to be more important to them than having the latest techs which they don't make use of.

Yes. There’s a lot of folks who must own the latest camera gear regardless. They sell their (often barely used) current camera and then upgrade to the latest model as soon as it’s launched.

Go figure.

But for my own shooting my current A9 is simply unbeatable, and it’s amazing capabilities make a massive difference in capturing images that other cameras would simply miss altogether.

And I’m now mystified as to how I survived all these years without silent blackout free shooting at 20fps.

Yes, if the A9 is currently the best gear for you, use it. If I shoot sport/photojournalism I'd also choose the A9/II over any other cameras.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,160

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

tqlla wrote:

This weekend, Canon put the EOS R on sale for $1500, with discounts as low as $1300. Even less using Canon's loyalty program, which Sony doesnt have. The EOS RP is only $1000.

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS, but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen. If you are looking at current like for like prices. Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now. And now it looks like Sony needs to adjust their prices.

It’s nice that you want to give Canon a boost here, but personally I’ve never missed a full touch screen menu, my A9’s EVF is excellent and my screen flips just fine for my purposes.

Why on earth would I go back to Canon who are still playing catch-up with mirrorless technologies and offerings that are still lagging far behind Sony’s and quite likely to be abandoned later just as Betamax and Divx have since died from a similar lack of consumer support?

On the basis of a few sales discounts is what you are suggesting? Sorry but that’s just ridiculous.

So I should sell my current gear and move back for a better EVF and a touch screen? I think not.

There are times when having the greatest and latest techs isn't the end all be all. Some people find certain aspects of other cameras to be more important to them than having the latest techs which they don't make use of.

Yes. There’s a lot of folks who must own the latest camera gear regardless. They sell their (often barely used) current camera and then upgrade to the latest model as soon as it’s launched.

Go figure.

But for my own shooting my current A9 is simply unbeatable, and it’s amazing capabilities make a massive difference in capturing images that other cameras would simply miss altogether.

And I’m now mystified as to how I survived all these years without silent blackout free shooting at 20fps.

Yes, if the A9 is currently the best gear for you, use it. If I shoot sport/photojournalism I'd also choose the A9/II over any other cameras.

Initially I thought the same. But I now realize that the A9 is simply THE best choice for anything that actually moves

That covers a far broader swathe than just sports.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +13 more
GrapeJam

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Go figure.

Initially I thought the same. But I now realize that the A9 is simply THE best choice for anything that actually moves

Well, I shoot portrait/fashion/pre wedding album mainly these days and I value getting good color SOOC and ease of post processing over FPS and blackout free viewfinder, so for my use I'd still choose the EOS R over the A9/II.

Canon EOS R Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
aSevenArr

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Go figure.

Well, I shoot portrait/fashion/pre wedding album mainly these days and I value getting good color SOOC and ease of post processing over FPS and blackout free viewfinder, so for my use I'd still choose the EOS R over the A9/II.

The A9 is also a great choice for weddings BTW, silent shooting is especially valuable for those in-church situations, during ceremonies and also for “disappearing” in order to capture candid images of wedding guests (without them even realizing that you are shooting).

Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +13 more
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 1,896

This thread is getting too long. The question is not whether Sony is better than Canon, but whether Sony is getting too expensive. Sony has already made it clear they’re not going to compete at wholesale clearance prices like Canon. Their strategy has paid off. All camera manufacturers charge too much according to the balance in my checking account! hehe

-- hide signature --
GrapeJam

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Go figure.

The A9 is also a great choice for weddings BTW, silent shooting is especially valuable for those in-church situations, during ceremonies and also for “disappearing” in order to capture candid images of wedding guests (without them even realizing that you are shooting).

I know, but I mean "pre-wedding album", not wedding photojournalism.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,206

jonpais wrote:

This thread is getting too long. The question is not whether Sony is better than Canon, but whether Sony is getting too expensive. Sony has already made it clear they’re not going to compete at wholesale clearance prices like Canon. Their strategy has paid off. All camera manufacturers charge too much according to the balance in my checking account! hehe

Any mention of Canon is an attack that must be defended against.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
jonpais

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

LOL

-- hide signature --
aSevenArr

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

LOL

I’d like nothing better than to see Canon become more competitive with Sony’s mirrorless offerings since we’d ultimately all benefit from that.

But this price slashing strategy isn’t it.

Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,044

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Some are obviously not fully satisfied with the brand they have. Why else pop into another forum just to ignore a brand war?

Nonsense.

So this is how you feel when trying to transform the Sony forum into a Canon forum?

Well - have and use Sony cameras (which is fun and rewarding to use) and Canon cameras (which are becoming more and more a drag to use).

Could well defend Sony in a Canon forum and whine about beeing attacked, but waste enough time in this forum already. 

Trollmannx wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Some are obviously not fully satisfied with the brand they have. Why else pop into another forum just to ignore a brand war?

Nonsense.

So this is how you feel when trying to transform the Sony forum into a Canon forum?

Well - have and use Sony cameras (which is fun and rewarding to use) and Canon cameras (which are becoming more and more a drag to use).

Could well defend Sony in a Canon forum and whine about beeing attacked, but waste enough time in this forum already.

I was being sarcastic, not sure if you got that

But you have inadvertently taken my post as an edict. Apparently this forum has got to the point where my joke is true

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
OP tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,394

aSevenArr wrote:

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

LOL

I’d like nothing better than to see Canon become more competitive with Sony’s mirrorless offerings since we’d ultimately all benefit from that.

I know I put pricing in the title, but my post was also about ways that Sony has been improved on, that Sony should respond to.

• We are on the 4th gen A7R, and still no fully articulating screen, even though Sony IMO has the best articulating design on the 2011 A77. And why is the screen bezel so big.
  • Canon RF adapters is better and cheaper(Free with purchase) than the Sony LA-EA3/4 adapter
  • Touchscreen should be improved, SONY makes phones!
  • Camera Connectivity to Phones should be better, Sony makes phones!  Is there a way to automatically send JPGs to a phone/tablet that?
  • I also think that Sony could bump the grip up, like the Z7. And since we are on the 4th gen, maybe a style update.
 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,467

tqlla wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

LOL

I know I put pricing in the title, but my post was also about ways that Sony has been improved on, that Sony should respond to.

• We are on the 4th gen A7R, and still no fully articulating screen, even though Sony IMO has the best articulating design on the 2011 A77. And why is the screen bezel so big.

I agree - I'd expected the a77/a99 screen to feature on generation 4... Perhaps if the first generation competition had been stronger... Maybe next time?

• Canon RF adapters is better and cheaper(Free with purchase) than the Sony LA-EA3/4 adapter

The LA-EA adapters do have to do more - either diaphragm actuation or that plus screw focus...

Yes it should be better, but I'm worried that more touchscreen will encourage fewer physical controls.

• Camera Connectivity to Phones should be better, Sony makes phones! Is there a way to automatically send JPGs to a phone/tablet that?

The remote release via playmemories works rather well on the gen 2 cameras..

• I also think that Sony could bump the grip up, like the Z7. And since we are on the 4th gen, maybe a style update.

I know there is lots of traction in the US for a bigger camera, but I'd rather it got bigger for better reasons than Americans liking big cameras.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II +3 more
PAntunes Regular Member • Posts: 411

tqlla wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

LOL

• Camera Connectivity to Phones should be better, Sony makes phones! Is there a way to automatically send JPGs to a phone/tablet that?

I disagree with a few of the points. 
The A77 screen is not that good because it would make the camera bigger. Something like the fuji option may be a nicer way to implement more movement.
The adapters are almost useless as not that many people still have A-Mount lenses. 
Bigger grip for me wouldn't do much. I like the feel of the A7II and I also have the A7RIII. Doesn't change anything when I'm shooting. And I much prefer that to any DSLR.
And touch screen and phone connectivity isn't a big problem at least for me. 
There are other ways that sony could improve. RAW video would be awesome specially for jobs when you need to film and shoot in quite a limited timeframe. 4k60 or 120. Keep face-af in 120 video, etc... I find that those are much more important than a screen that turns more or less in an age that pro photographers are being asked to do more and more video.

OP tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,394

PAntunes wrote:

tqlla wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

LOL

I disagree with a few of the points.
The A77 screen is not that good because it would make the camera bigger. Something like the fuji option may be a nicer way to implement more movement.

Well obviously Sony should use thinner profile materials, rather than the thick plastic on the A77

The adapters are almost useless as not that many people still have A-Mount lenses.

Even still its a talking point,  Canon's adapter is better and they practically give them away. Sony puts artificial limits on their adapters.  You can use a Sigma MC-11 with EF Sigma lenses, and they will not have any limits.   IMO, it just shows the lack of care they have for their customers.  The non-pro warranty repair service is terrible too.

Bigger grip for me wouldn't do much. I like the feel of the A7II and I also have the A7RIII. Doesn't change anything when I'm shooting. And I much prefer that to any DSLR.

If you let someone that is young borrow your camera, they will wonder how they can get pictures from your camera to their phone.   That's a huge barrier in camera's and a big reason why the market is shrinking.

There are other ways that sony could improve. RAW video would be awesome specially for jobs when you need to film and shoot in quite a limited timeframe. 4k60 or 120. Keep face-af in 120 video, etc... I find that those are much more important than a screen that turns more or less in an age that pro photographers are being asked to do more and more video.

Raw video would be awesome.  8K is around the corner too.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more

tqlla wrote:

Even still its a talking point, Canon's adapter is better and they practically give them away. Sony puts artificial limits on their adapters. You can use a Sigma MC-11 with EF Sigma lenses, and they will not have any limits. IMO, it just shows the lack of care they have for their customers. The non-pro warranty repair service is terrible too.

Honestly with the small A-mount user base it can't be much of a priority. Sony needs the sales from lenses. Plus A-Mount just wasn't as well designed as EF mount from the get go.

If you let someone that is young borrow your camera, they will wonder how they can get pictures from your camera to their phone. That's a huge barrier in camera's and a big reason why the market is shrinking.

I don't think I've ever had this problem. I share photos out of my camera with people all the time. I just send it in a text or through a Google photo gallery.

I do agree that some change is necessary. Both the EOS R and Z6/7 have much better ergonomics with no more weight. Touch screen implementation could be better as well. And to a degree I feel like the left side of the body is underutilized. Compared to my A7R2 at least the EOS R's EVF implementation is much better as well. In low light it's much clearer. So there's room for improvement. If Sony can be as good at ergonomics and UX as it is at tech they will be unstoppable.

-- hide signature --

Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,660

jonpais wrote:

Eric wrote:

TBF, not a shock to see cameras go on sale around the holidays.

I got my a7III+kit lens for $1700 through Amazon last month. Without the Amazon prime deal, it would've been $2000 for that kit for a kit that was normally $2200 earlier this year.

Without those Sony discounts, I wouldn't have bought the camera. I do think they need to put some sales on their lenses though, I think those a little overpriced.

Lenses by Nikon, Panasonic, Leica, Canon, Nikon et al are all overpriced. Why should Sony be any different?

Labor rates have gone up since many of those SLR lenses were designed.  Especially with fewer people buying cameras (in favor of phones), not surprising that new lenses cost a lot more.  Sony doesn't seem to be making anything but GM lenses anymore, with their buttons, etc.  Expect to pay more for any companies lenses.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +4 more
liopleurodon Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

sportyaccordy wrote:

I do agree that some change is necessary. Both the EOS R and Z6/7 have much better ergonomics with no more weight. Touch screen implementation could be better as well. And to a degree I feel like the left side of the body is underutilized. Compared to my A7R2 at least the EOS R's EVF implementation is much better as well. In low light it's much clearer. So there's room for improvement. If Sony can be as good at ergonomics and UX as it is at tech they will be unstoppable.

Sony does have a few UX advantages over its competition. Sony is easily the most customizable of them. You can customize the entire Fn menu, virtually every button, etc. They should be applauded for that. They should be shamed for making the menus not usable with the touchscreen. I know where stuff is in my Sony menu, just takes longer to use the dpad or joystick to get there than simply tapping the screen on a Canon.  I know Sony can do it, my AX-100 has touch menus.

liopleurodon's gear list:liopleurodon's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Google Pixel 3 +3 more

jonpais wrote:

Eric wrote:

I got my a7III+kit lens for $1700 through Amazon last month. Without the Amazon prime deal, it would've been $2000 for that kit for a kit that was normally $2200 earlier this year.

Without those Sony discounts, I wouldn't have bought the camera. I do think they need to put some sales on their lenses though, I think those a little overpriced.

Lenses by Nikon, Panasonic, Leica, Canon, Nikon et al are all overpriced. Why should Sony be any different?

Some brands are def more overpriced than others. You can't get a decent Sony branded zoom lens for less than $1200 for example.

-- hide signature --

jonpais

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Eric wrote:

Some brands are def more overpriced than others. You can't get a decent Sony branded zoom lens for less than $1200 for example.

Not sure what the point of the OP's post is. This topic has been written about a dozen times already. If he thinks Sony is overpriced, just go ahead and buy Canon then. Now's a great time to buy. Huge discounts on the EOS R and Mark IV. Have a happy life.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads