With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,304
With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

This weekend, Canon put the EOS R on sale for $1500, with discounts as low as $1300.  Even less using Canon's loyalty program, which Sony doesnt have.   The EOS RP is only $1000.

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS, but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen.    If you are looking at current like for like prices.   Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

• A7iii is $1800 vs EOS R $1300 vs EOS RP $1000
  • 35mm FE=$750 vs RF=$450
  • Adapter FE=$180 vs RF=included or $100
  • 70-200  GM=$2600 vs RF=$2700
  • 24-70 GM=$2200 vs RF=$2300
  • 24-105 GM=$1100 vs RF=$900
  • 24-200 GM=$950 vs RF=$900

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now.  And now it looks like Sony needs to adjust their prices.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +3 more
W3PYF
W3PYF Contributing Member • Posts: 857
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

tqlla wrote:

This weekend, Canon put the EOS R on sale for $1500, with discounts as low as $1300. Even less using Canon's loyalty program, which Sony doesnt have. The EOS RP is only $1000.

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS, but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen. If you are looking at current like for like prices. Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

• 70-200 GM=$2600 vs RF=$2700

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now. And now it looks like Sony needs to adjust their prices.

Canon is buying its way into mirrorless. They know better than anyone what their products are worth. They have to give away their bodies to stop the hemorrhage of Canon users to the A7III.

Note that once you go to their zooms, the the prices are equal. That’s outrageous, given the fact that they’ve been selling those focal lengths for decades.

If you’re attracted to their prices, go for it. Sony doesn’t have to.

W3PYF's gear list:W3PYF's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +15 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,600

I would say a Qualified No.  Thats why competition is always good for a popular brand.

I've always thought that the biggest advantage of Sony FF mirrorless was the IBIS in the A7rII and continuing with the A7rIII and A7rIV.  Also in the A7 models as well.

Tamron compatible lenses offer a fully native lower cost option to Sony lenses.  Plus with available adapters from Sigma and others, much cheaper lenses can often be used on Sony bodies.  My favorite lens currently on the A7rII is a Canon 135 f2L.  With all these low cost lens options, it means, i think, that Sony has to charge more for its camera bodies.  Without Sony, its doubtful that Canon and Nikon would ever have introduced a mirrorless FF body at this time.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
OP tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,304

W3PYF wrote:

tqlla wrote:

This weekend, Canon put the EOS R on sale for $1500, with discounts as low as $1300. Even less using Canon's loyalty program, which Sony doesnt have. The EOS RP is only $1000.

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS, but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen. If you are looking at current like for like prices. Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now. And now it looks like Sony needs to adjust their prices.

Canon is buying its way into mirrorless. They know better than anyone what their products are worth. They have to give away their bodies to stop the hemorrhage of Canon users to the A7III.

Note that once you go to their zooms, the the prices are equal. That’s outrageous, given the fact that they’ve been selling those focal lengths for decades.

If you’re attracted to their prices, go for it. Sony doesn’t have to.

Honestly, if I were starting new, I would go with the EOS R.  I just bought the EOS R with 24-105 RF lens for $1920 for my aunt.   That would be $2900 for the A7iii with 24-105mm.

Sony shouldnt take their current position for granted.

Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +3 more
Adam Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 579

I like that Canon is being aggressive with pricing.  I doubt sony would go down in price but they will definitely think twice before raising prices on newer models.

If you are on a budget but you like the technology sony has some amazing good used prices on Ebay due to the rapid pace of innovation.

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF +10 more
vinyltap
vinyltap Forum Member • Posts: 71

No doubt Canon's cameras are priced super low to reel new buyers in. OTOH to have a  complete system, Sony's got fantastic & inexpensive third party glass and even flashes. Depends on how well the buyers will have thought out their process.

vinyltap's gear list:vinyltap's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +3 more
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324
Re: With Canon forced to introduce sales, is Sony becoming too cheap?

nt

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

tqlla wrote:

Competing by slashing prices to rock-bottom is a losing market strategy in the long run and tarnishes  brand image. Sony is crushing Canon now while keeping prices high and making their investors happy campers too!

-- hide signature --
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,812

tqlla wrote:

Sony will lower their prices when their sales are affected. It doesn't really matter how your competition is pricing their products if it isn't impacting your sales.

Canon is offering those prices because they must. Sony, at the moment, doesn't need to follow Canon.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,542

Sony shouldnt take their current position for granted.

I'm sure Sony is not taking anything for granted. In the past the safe bet was canon.

I went Nikon! but over two years ago, Sony got my money as they did with many dslr swappers.

I'm not about to take a glass hit again. IMHO today's  safe bet is Sony. I hope your purchase is wise as continued competition is good for the overall market.

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +7 more
Eric Regular Member • Posts: 245

TBF, not a shock to see cameras go on sale around the holidays.

I got my a7III+kit lens for $1700 through Amazon last month. Without the Amazon prime deal, it would've been $2000 for that kit for a kit that was normally $2200 earlier this year.

Without those Sony discounts, I wouldn't have bought the camera. I do think they need to put some sales on their lenses though, I think those a little overpriced.

-- hide signature --

-Eric
------

Eric's gear list:Eric's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-3 Sony a7 III Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +7 more
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

Eric wrote:

I got my a7III+kit lens for $1700 through Amazon last month. Without the Amazon prime deal, it would've been $2000 for that kit for a kit that was normally $2200 earlier this year.

Without those Sony discounts, I wouldn't have bought the camera. I do think they need to put some sales on their lenses though, I think those a little overpriced.

Lenses by Nikon, Panasonic, Leica, Canon, Nikon et al are all overpriced. Why should Sony be any different?

-- hide signature --

Eric wrote:

Thats not a bad deal, but its not like the kit 28-70mm lens is a lens that people really want.

I just bought the EOS R with 24-105mm F4 for $1920, for my aunt. People are buying the EOS R with adapter for $1300 or less(with Canon loyalty program)

burning1rr Regular Member • Posts: 270

Amazon is selling the A7M2 for $900. It's a better deal than the RP, and a better camera in a number of ways.

burning1rr's gear list:burning1rr's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D200 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +14 more
JpGomez Regular Member • Posts: 437

In terms of native lens offerings, Canon is out of reach to many.

Sony has great deal of third party lens offerings that are well priced, great value and attainable to most users.

RF L trio 15-200 2.8s =$7K

Sony GM trio 16-200 2.8s = almost same above

Tamron FE trio 17-180 2.8s = about $3K

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8

burning1rr wrote:

Amazon is selling the A7M2 for $900. It's a better deal than the RP, and a better camera in a number of ways.

I disagree with that.  The RP has a flip screen, a touch screen, 4k, Continuous Eye AF, better battery life, and better compatibility with native lenses

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,725

tqlla wrote:

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS,

no lens selection either.

but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen. If you are looking at current like for like prices. Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

there are far more 35mm primes for e-mount, than just the sony brand.

you don't need an adapter with sony, because there are more lenses for e-mount than any other milc format on the planet... e-mount has a future, while canon camera sales have been dropping like a rock.

• 24-70 Sigma=$1100

looks like the brand name averages are equal there, with sony having the price edge with 3rd-party zooms.

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now.

a better adapter for what, exactly? and why, when e-mount has such a vast lens lineup.

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,725

tqlla wrote:

burning1rr wrote:

I disagree with that. The RP has a flip screen, a touch screen, 4k, Continuous Eye AF, better battery life, and better compatibility with native lenses

dslr lenses are not native glass for rf bodies.

RF-mount lenses are not backwards compatible with EF, EF-S or EF-M mount camera bodies... canon is trying to support four different lens mounts, it's a mess, it indicates poor planning on their part.

burning1rr Regular Member • Posts: 270

tqlla wrote:

burning1rr wrote:

I disagree with that. The RP has a flip screen, a touch screen, 4k, Continuous Eye AF, better battery life, and better compatibility with native lenses

Ecosystem of native lenses, and sensor tech. I suspect that Sony offers more physical buttons, but I haven't played around with the RP to know for sure.

I personally prefer the tilt screen but I can see why a videographer would prefer the flip screen.

Canon should have retired the RP sensor 2 generations ago.

You're welcome to your own judgement calls, but there are some good reasons to prefer the M2 over the RP.

burning1rr's gear list:burning1rr's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D200 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +14 more
surume Junior Member • Posts: 25

burning1rr wrote:

tqlla wrote:

burning1rr wrote:

Ecosystem of native lenses, and sensor tech. I suspect that Sony offers more physical buttons, but I haven't played around with the RP to know for sure.

I personally prefer the tilt screen but I can see why a videographer would prefer the flip screen.

Canon should have retired the RP sensor 2 generations ago.

You're welcome to your own judgement calls, but there are some good reasons to prefer the M2 over the RP.

Oh hey burning1rr. Didn't know you were on DPR as well.

As someone who only takes stills, a flip screen and touch screen aren't exactly appealing. I always keep touchscreen off because it is more trouble than help and I'm happy with the tilt screen Sony provides. 4K, also not a concern for stills.

My stance is that the EOS RP is a half-assed attempt by Canon to retroactively create an a7ii equivalent. Flaws that were forgiven for the a7ii because it was 2014 will not be forgiven for a new camera in 2019. Lack of affordable lenses, clumsy ergonomics, rushed releases and general lack of planning are apparent.

And now they're dumping a hot pile of steaming poo on people who believed in Canon and bought the Canon FF MILCs at full price by slashing prices. If they had intended to flood the market with RF mount bodies by selling them at attractive prices, they'd have done so from the very beginning. The fact that they're beginning to do so now indicates that their new cameras aren't meeting sales quotas, and Canon is getting worried.

Canon did their users no justice with the EF-M mount already, I wonder what they'll do to RF mount users in the future.

surume's gear list:surume's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads