Started 3 months ago | Questions
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,991
Re: Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

Zeee wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Zeee wrote:

malcolmbebb wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

When I was using Lightroom the rule of thumb always used to be that you did all your file moving and deleting from within Lightroom.
If you moved files ouside of LR (like with your file manager) LR got confused and didn't know where your files were.

The is no different than someone moving your keys to another location and not telling you. Since the catalogue is a record of your edits it needs to know where you files are. All you have to do is click on the ? and tell LR where you moved them. Pretty easy and not an issue - if you do it right away. It is just easier to do it using LR except when moving thousands of files. Then you should use the OS, click on the parent folder ? and tell it where you moved them. It does not take much time to get used to it.

No. The xmp sidecar file contains the record of your edits, and that is always associated with your original raw file.
Clicking "?" is another step in the process, which if LR didn't use the "Catalog" would not be necessary.

In case you forget to move a file using the extra step to re-establish a missing link sometimes so exhausting you need a week or so to recover

I'm using On1, so nothing extra needs to be done.

I'm really glad I'm now using an editor that doesn't rely (and insist) on having all your files in it's "Catalog" and I'm free to move and/or delete files any way I want to.

I'd be interested to know what you're using. I've been trying to get my head around a number of programs to decide what I want to concentrate on.

On1.
Just use your normal (in my case Windows) file browser to move, rename or delete your image files.

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,947

MisterBG wrote:

Zeee wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Zeee wrote:

malcolmbebb wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

When I was using Lightroom the rule of thumb always used to be that you did all your file moving and deleting from within Lightroom.
If you moved files ouside of LR (like with your file manager) LR got confused and didn't know where your files were.

The is no different than someone moving your keys to another location and not telling you. Since the catalogue is a record of your edits it needs to know where you files are. All you have to do is click on the ? and tell LR where you moved them. Pretty easy and not an issue - if you do it right away. It is just easier to do it using LR except when moving thousands of files. Then you should use the OS, click on the parent folder ? and tell it where you moved them. It does not take much time to get used to it.

No. The xmp sidecar file contains the record of your edits, and that is always associated with your original raw file.
Clicking "?" is another step in the process, which if LR didn't use the "Catalog" would not be necessary.

In case you forget to move a file using the extra step to re-establish a missing link sometimes so exhausting you need a week or so to recover

I'm using On1, so nothing extra needs to be done.

Same for LR if you move folders using it. No more difficult than using the OS.

I'm really glad I'm now using an editor that doesn't rely (and insist) on having all your files in it's "Catalog" and I'm free to move and/or delete files any way I want to.

I'd be interested to know what you're using. I've been trying to get my head around a number of programs to decide what I want to concentrate on.

On1.
Just use your normal (in my case Windows) file browser to move, rename or delete your image files.

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 3,487

Zeee wrote:

Same for LR if you move folders using it. No more difficult than using the OS.

Hello Zeee,

This may be the best solution

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads